Status
Not open for further replies.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Not sure on the Sanyo's,but there is another one Mooch rated as a good battery,it's rewrapped by a few different places,Ijoy and Vappower both use it,i forget the name of the original battery,but it is the one with 5 legs on the positive post.I just grabbed a couple of the Vappower ones for $9 each from IMR.

Reactions: stols001

Moezso

Nov 19, 2017
Not sure on the Sanyo's,but there is another one Mooch rated as a good battery,it's rewrapped by a few different places,Ijoy and Vappower both use it,i forget the name of the original battery,but it is the one with 5 legs on the positive post.I just grabbed a couple of the Vappower ones for $9 each from IMR.
I've got a couple of those on the way from IMR, and a couple 14500's for my duty light.

Reactions: b.m.

Moezso

Nov 19, 2017
So I found where they (ncr20700a) are all going.
Bosch GBA18V63 CORE18V Lithium Ion 6.3 Ah Battery - - Amazon.com
Bosch is buying up pretty much all of the production at the moment for their 18v battery packs. Eciggity gets some vapcell gold's in from time to time, which are rewraps of these according to Mooch, so keep your eyes on them if you want some.

VapingJKT

Mar 1, 2018

Hi @b.m. can you point me to his post (vappower). Thanks

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Hi @b.m. can you point me to his post (vappower). Thanks
I can't remember where it was,it was quite a while ago,he had mentioned that a few brands used the same cell,and they were one of the brands.Although,after using mine for a while,i would not personally recommend them,not sure if i got a bad set or what,but mine drain really fast.I ended up getting some of the Ijoy 21700's and they are much longer lasting batteries,so if i get any more 20700's,i'll go with the Ijoy for those too.

b.m.

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2014
Ohio
Thank you for your reply @b.m. thats very unfortunate, coz the ijoy is not available in my country. I guess im stuck with vappower.
They aren't really bad,they just don't last as long as i had expected they would before needing to be charged again.I still use the ones i have,i just won't buy them again,but if they were the only option,like in your case,then they will still do the job.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I found some 20700a batteries on eBay that have been scavenged from these battery packs. They are a bit expensive but have been getting great reviews. Have one on the way now. I'll post results on it when I get it today or tomorrow

I took a shot at a few scavenged eBay batteries too, and it worked out fine. I went with a seller by the name of twisted straights. Awesome guy, and I fully plan to purchase more later. Awesome batteries, they are a little expensive though.

• Creative

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I found some 20700a batteries on eBay that have been scavenged from these battery packs. They are a bit expensive but have been getting great reviews. Have one on the way now. I'll post results on it when I get it today or tomorrow

I took a shot at a few scavenged eBay batteries too, and it worked out fine. I went with a seller by the name of twisted straights. Awesome guy, and I fully plan to purchase more later. Awesome batteries, they are a little expensive though.

Not a great idea to buy batteries from Ebay or from battery packs. There's too many fake products floating around. The packs may or may not have the correct batteries expected. They may not be new and therefore could have been abused.

The reason it costs more from vendors like Liion is due to testing. They batch test and stand behind the products they sell. It is not worth the savings to jump on auction site specials. Reality you may just get batteries that don't last as expected, however you could end up injured.

The best thing to do is wait for the batteries to show up in proper channels, unless you have the equipment and know how to use other options.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
Not a great idea to buy batteries from Ebay or from battery packs. There's too many fake products floating around. The packs may or may not have the correct batteries expected. They may not be new and therefore could have been abused.

The reason it costs more from vendors like Liion is due to testing. They batch test and stand behind the products they sell. It is not worth the savings to jump on auction site specials. Reality you may just get batteries that don't last as expected, however you could end up injured.

The best thing to do is wait for the batteries to show up in proper channels, unless you have the equipment and know how to use other options.
I won't buy batteries off of eBay normally. But I reached out to this seller and we spoke on the phone a few times before I ordered from him. He only sells legit batteries and is more than willing to stand behind what he sells. I don't blame anyone for being sceptical, especially since it is on eBay, but not everything on eBay is fake and not all sellers try to deceive their customers. Although some sellers are sketchy at best.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I won't buy batteries off of eBay normally. But I reached out to this seller and we spoke on the phone a few times before I ordered from him. He only sells legit batteries and is more than willing to stand behind what he sells. I don't blame anyone for being sceptical, especially since it is on eBay, but not everything on eBay is fake and not all sellers try to deceive their customers. Although some sellers are sketchy at best.

I get that but the reason I don't (and won't) isn't even really the scam sellers. I won't because some sellers may not know they are selling fakes, their vendor maybe scamming them.

I'd venture that most battery sellers not only don't have test equipment, they wouldn't know how to properly run it if they did.

Now, I'm not harping on you, just throwing some thoughts out there. My biggest thing is if I had a fake battery from say Liion, they'd be all over fixing the situation and making sure I'm safe as well as satisfied. They'd also go through their inventory to make sure there were no more, probably notify other customers, and then go to their vendor and raise hell.

I highly doubt you're going to see that with an Ebay seller. Generally by them time you find a seller there is bad, it's too late. They just open a new account and start the whole thing over. Ebay just reminds me too much of a used car dealership, lol.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I get that but the reason I don't (and won't) isn't even really the scam sellers. I won't because some sellers may not know they are selling fakes, their vendor maybe scamming them.

I'd venture that most battery sellers not only don't have test equipment, they wouldn't know how to properly run it if they did.

Now, I'm not harping on you, just throwing some thoughts out there. My biggest thing is if I had a fake battery from say Liion, they'd be all over fixing the situation and making sure I'm safe as well as satisfied. They'd also go through their inventory to make sure there were no more, probably notify other customers, and then go to their vendor and raise hell.

I highly doubt you're going to see that with an Ebay seller. Generally by them time you find a seller there is bad, it's too late. They just open a new account and start the whole thing over. Ebay just reminds me too much of a used car dealership, lol.

I just wanted to share my experience since it was relevant to the question being asked. I know your not harping on me, and I am not trying to start anything either. I felt confident with that purchase and was not let down. I tested (with the little equipment I have access to at least) and it all checked out. From my understanding, this seller only buys new battery packs to disassemble. I cannot speak for any other seller on eBay though, as I had no dealings with them.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
I just wanted to share my experience since it was relevant to the question being asked. I know your not harping on me, and I am not trying to start anything either. I felt confident with that purchase and was not let down. I tested (with the little equipment I have access to at least) and it all checked out. From my understanding, this seller only buys new battery packs to disassemble. I cannot speak for any other seller on eBay though, as I had no dealings with them.

It's no problem and sounds like you have a reliable seller. I would just encourage you to do one thing and look at some videos of how these battery packs are assembled and disassembled. Most are soldered in and then de-soldered to separate.

Soldering creates heat and heat can damage batteries. That's my main reason of staying away from them. Then there is age, we really don't know how long batteries sit.

1. They are made
2. Sit in warehouse
3. Shipped
3. Sit in inventory
4. Assembled into packs
5. Sit in warehouse
6. Shipped to wholesaler
7. Sit in warehouse
8. Shipped to retailers
9. Sit in warehouse
10. Sold to consumers or sent to individual stores
11. Shipped
12. Finally sitting in a store or consumers' hands
13. Then disassembled, sold and shipped to users

That's a lot going on and a lot of time. Then we still don't know if the batteries used are A or B stock. Now in a regulated mod the batteries (assuming authentic) are probably safe but in a mech mod, I wouldn't trust them. So like everything else is the world, there's an exception, lol.

I'm mainly just putting this out here for people who come in and read the thread, that aren't sure of what to do or maybe haven't considered everything. You know as well as I do many won't contact a seller before buying, or do their homework.

How many times have we all seen or done (I'm guilty at times) this... I just bought a so and so, what does everyone think about them or are they any good.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think good points are being made. I do agree there are more reputable sellers on ebay versus not, but since it's achievable (and often equally as inexpensive) I really prefer using Mooch's "safe suppliers" list, and I'm happy it's around. I buy consistently from IMRbatteries.com, their prices are great, and they get to me as soon as, if not sooner than items from Ebay. There are things I would and wouldn't purchase on Ebay depending on the seller's ratings and reputation but batteries wouldn't be one of them, even if I genuinely TRUSTED that the vendor in question was a good one.

Here is my question though, how is ebay selling "trusted reputable brands from big name sellers" at a highly discounted price? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me that they would be "cheaper" if authentic, because if the seller is "reselling" "authentic" batteries from "reputable sellers" to make any money at all, the prices would need to be higher not lower.

That would make me worried about several things:
a) are they old, overstock, or seconds or even batteries purchased and left to sit for a long time, then "sold off."
b) Are they "seconds" that the seller was able to get their hands on cheaply... because they failed QR?
c) Does the seller himself know if they are used/counterfeit/seconds, it's possible not.

I just don't see "they're cheaper than the "recommended" sellers" being all that great of a sign. I would expect them to be MORE expensive unless the seller has some special battery connection I don't know about... Possible, but how likely?

IDK, batteries is an area where I do not pinch my pennies. Other places, maybe, but not batteries.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread