Saving a ton via rta

Status
Not open for further replies.

asharru

Feb 7, 2015
pgh, pa
So I just started building again as I'm tired of dipping in to my stash of pre-builts. I'll need them for when I'm old(er) and blind. Dude, they're less than a buck for me and SO much better. I need to quit being so lazy. The reality is that it MAYBE takes ten minutes to build, lasts at least as long before having to rewick, tastes significantly more amazing, AND leaves me feeling proud of myself. I work so hard in so many other areas of my life, god forbid I spend 30 minutes a month saving some serious money. I confuse myself.

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    Good for you!!

I recognized the 'coil tax' fairly early on in my vaping journey. Not only were the pre-mades $3-5 a pop - sometimes they were only good for a few days and other times they seemingly never worked at all!! WTF!!

Surely there was a better and less expensive way - AND there is/was!! Rebuildables!!!

Sure, it took a few days/weeks to get the hang of it AND required new/different 'toppers' but a 100' spool of wire was < $10 (often <$5) and a box Rayon was ~$10 so what did I have to loose?

So now I'm armed with rebuildable toppers, I DIY my own juice and have a army of MOD's that have replaceable batteries.

My vaping costs are so cheap it is almost difficult to calculate.

g.

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017
    This is why I started using RTA's. I like very sweet juices. I was lucky to get 2-3 days out of one pre-built coil. At over $3 each, that was getting too expensive for my tastes.

So I switched to RTA's. I use Cotton Bacon Prime. I get about 80-90 wicks depending on how much I pay attention to what I'm doing. The cost per pouch is $3.98. I buy in bulk. Cost: about $0.05 per wick.

100 ft of Kanthal wire costs about $7. That 100 feet will make about 200 coils. Cost: about $0.04

Cost comparison: $3 per coil vs $0.09. At $0.09, I'll change coils the second I get an off taste.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    damn an 80 year old who knows how to use the internet lol

The age shouldn't impress anyone, but that I can still wrap my coils and save a bunch of cash should.
    Have enough Ekowool (silica) to wrap a water heater, and enough Kanthal to hardwire that internet :lol::firefox:

Sil3nt

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 15, 2013
    The age shouldn't impress anyone, but that I can still wrap my coils and save a bunch of cash should.
    Have enough Ekowool (silica) to wrap a water heater, and enough Kanthal to hardwire that internet :lol::firefox:
    hard imagining my grandma when she was alive your age just casually browsing online..

Reactions: tj99959

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017

Good grief, I thought I was the only one who stocks up "BIG TIME". :)

I have enough Cotton Bacon Prime to leave to someone in my will. I think I have 75+ pouches.

Every so once in a while, I go back to my roots and use Koh Gen Doh. That lasts for about 1 wick. Considering I have 3 80-pad boxes, I can leave it to someone in my will and they can leave it to someone in their will.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    This is why I started using RTA's. I like very sweet juices. I was lucky to get 2-3 days out of one pre-built coil. At over $3 each, that was getting too expensive for my tastes.

So I switched to RTA's. I use Cotton Bacon Prime. I get about 80-90 wicks depending on how much I pay attention to what I'm doing. The cost per pouch is $3.98. I buy in bulk. Cost: about $0.05 per wick.

100 ft of Kanthal wire costs about $7. That 100 feet will make about 200 coils. Cost: about $0.04

Cost comparison: $3 per coil vs $0.09. At $0.09, I'll change coils the second I get an off taste.
    My preference in e-juice being what I would like to call absolutely disgustingly sweet is what brought me further into the rebuildable department than I was when I was panic buying things for survivability of regulation lol. I don't have to care that my e-juice is sweeter than maple syrup because it doesn't matter if it only lasts 3 days It cost $0.03

thanswr1

ECF Veteran
  • Jan 16, 2017
    My preference in e-juice being what I would like to call absolutely disgustingly sweet is what brought me further into the rebuildable department than I was when I was panic buying things for survivability of regulation lol. I don't have to care that my e-juice is sweeter than maple syrup because it doesn't matter if it only lasts 3 days It cost $0.03

My thoughts exactly. :)

Detroit Doug

ECF Veteran
    Oct 18, 2015
    Detroit
    Not only are we saving some loot, we're a little more self sufficient. No worries that a company will stop making a particular tank or coil. Also, not having to worry about all the rapidly changing rules & regs with vape gear & shipping. Anything we can do to be a little more self sufficient these days, is a positive, in my book.

somdcomputerguy

vaper dedicato
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
    Each coil is like what a dollar something compared to a few for just a single prebuilt.. And doesn't have that nasty new coil taste could just burn it off
    I do agree with you for the most part, but I don't think we're on the same page here. This is a 30' roll of wire that cost me less than $3.00. When I wrap a coil, I use maybe 4" or so which is actually more than is needed, so I end up wasting an inch and half or so of wire, but so what..
    20220712-164022-1.jpg

Now if you've found someone for you that'll build, mount and wick a coil for a dollar, well, I'd buy that for a dollar..

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Not only are we saving some loot, we're a little more self sufficient. No worries that a company will stop making a particular tank or coil. Also, not having to worry about all the rapidly changing rules & regs with vape gear & shipping. Anything we can do to be a little more self sufficient these days, is a positive, in my book.

Been an advocate of "Self Reliance" since 2011- 2012, but nobody was listening.
    It was a lot easier to learn all this stuff when everything was available.
    I can (and have) made my own mods, atomizers, coils, juice, and even extracted my own nicotine.
    So I know how if I ever need to. Vaping is not rocket science!! There is NOTHING that we can't do for ourself.

Vaping has never been more complicated than we want to make it.
    Don't need most of the stuff (like temp control) just to vape.
    Here, try this!
    http://www.howder.com/dena_howto.pdf

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread