The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Saying goodbye to my Shadow

Discussion in 'Pet Lovers' started by _more_, Jul 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. _more_

_more_ Moved On ECF Veteran

May 22, 2012
    I hate this part of having a friend/pet. I hate making the decision to let her go. I hate that she is in pain and doesn't understand what is happening. She can hardly walk she is almost blind and she doesn't hear very good. She is 14 yrs old and i LOVE her with all my heart but i can't make her get better no matter how much i spend on meds. The new meds worked for about a week but now she hardly wants to eat I have to beg her and hand feed her.

What will i do without my best friend? I even got her a ramp last year because i could see she was having a hard time with the steps. Now she is outside and too big for me to help her walk back in :( I can't because i have tried, she only weighs 70 lbs but she is really a big sized dog.Bigger than a Shepard dog.She is a house dog so i hope she can make it back inside one more time. I will take her to the vet as soon as they open and it hurts me so much to say goodbye.:cry:

My little girl Shadow was a stray that i adopted when someone dumped her on my street. She was a puppy and so cute and sweet. She had mange when i found her and bought her to my home. She looked like a bear cub and acted like she was my Shadow. The vet says 14 is pretty long for a big dog to live BUT in my heart it is not long enough.

I just wanted to put this here in memory for my best friend. I hate what will happen later today and am in tears with my heart breaking for her.

2. sashwa

sashwa ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2010
    Alcatraz
  3. _more_

May 22, 2012
    Thanks Sashwa,

She kissed/licked my hand when she heard me crying. My friend was loyal and caring to the end.This is the first day without her being in pain that she will never have to feel again. She never cried about it but she was in pain.

R.I.P. Shadow: Feb 15, 1998 - July 26, 2012

4. sashwa

sashwa ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2010
    Alcatraz
    She was telling you it would be okay and thanking you for being you. You did a good thing.

I'm a firm believer our pets tell us when it's time.

5. _more_

May 22, 2012
    I believe that also. [​IMG]

6. sidetrack

sidetrack Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2011
    among the sea shells
    --A DOG’S PRAYER:

If it should be, that I grow frail and weak,
    And pain should keep me from my sleep,
    Then, you must do what must be done
    For this, the last battle, can't be won.

Don't let your grief stay your hand,
    For this day more than the rest,
    Your love and friendship stand the test.
    We've had so many years,

What is to come can hold no fear.
    You'd not want me to suffer, so
    When the time comes, please let me go.
    Take me where my needs they'll tend,

Only, stay with me to the end
    And hold me firm and speak to me
    Until my eyes no longer see.
    I know in time you'll see it is a kindness
    you do for me

Although my tail its last has waved,
    From pain and suffering I've been saved.
    Don't grieve it should be you who this
    thing decides to do.
    We've been so close, we two, these years,

Don't let your heart hold tears.
    Smile, for we walked together for awhile.

- Author Unknown

7. _more_

May 22, 2012
    sidetrack, That is the best poem I have ever read and i thank you for sharing.

8. jespeak

jespeak Senior Member ECF Veteran

I wish there was more I could give you than words...life is richer when our fur-friends are around us, even their spirit never leaves us.

Hugs and warm wishes are sent your way.

9. jespeak

jespeak Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sidetrack, thank you for sharing "The Dog's Prayer". I have lost a few good fury friends in the past and this poem speaks such volumes. I do not regret having to let go of my dogs, they were and still are my best friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.