Saying Hello, Need Help with Tank for VAMO v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenverDave

Jun 23, 2016
I am new to modding / advanced e-cig set-ups.

My history with ecigs: For a while I have used the V2 EX set up (Kanger Tech T4 808D clearmizer tank with manual 808-d battery) then upgraded to a Kanger E-Smart System (similar to V2 EX but thicker battery and larger tank, 510 thread). I got tired of the short battery life, short life of tanks (start to taste like its burning (I assume this means the coils need to be replaced, but have never done so, don think i can with the clearmizer version I have), and overall underwhelming performance - not being able to get big vape hits.

Taking the next step I purchased a VAMO V5 (eGo thread, variable voltage) battery. Not sure what tank to get I picked up an eGo thread tank from a local gas station a “eCingatures.com RB-1 Atomizer” tank w/ a resistance of 2.2. I filled with liquid and put it on my VAMO battery tried to vape and the taste was HORRIBLE - strong burning taste. So I turned the voltage all the way down to 3.0 (it goes from 3v-6v) and still the taste is terrible. Is this because I am not using a tank/atomizer with the correct resistance? What is a good tank to use with this battery? I am interested in one with adjustable airflow, and the ability to replace the coils instead of needing to buy a new tank.

On a side note, I had another eGo thread battery (manual 5 clicks turn on off w/LED screen that shows battery level and hit counter). I put the RB-1 tank on it and it works ok, not as well as my Kanger E-Smart, little burned taste, especially after one or two puffs.

Below is a a pic with all my ecigs to get you familiar with the equipment I am working with. Thanks!

From Left to Right: V2 EX (Kanger 808-D), Kanger E-Smart, eGo battery w/RB-1 atmoizer, VAMO v5- Variable Voltage battery

IMG_0698_zpsaaafhgwu.jpg

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Maybe a Kanger Aerotank (this is a little bit older technology but newer than the cig-alikes and that ego /w evod tank in the picture), Aerotank was a step up with dual coils and adjustable airflow. Another tank of that era, and a better performer is the Aspire Nautilus and Nautilus Mini, both adjustable airflow and replaceable coils like the Aerotank, full size is about 4.5ml capacity, mini was a 2.5mil capacity. Both are pretty solid tanks, next step I would suggest is a more modern mod that can do Variable Wattage instead of Variable Voltage, both do the same, but with a VW mod it reads the resistance and sets the necessary voltage to reach that wattage automatically once the wattage setting is set, so multiple resistance coils it will adjust itself to those coils respectively.

DenverDave

Jun 23, 2016
Thanks for chiming in. Is the problem I am experiencing with the eGo tank I have due to resistance on the tank being to high (2.2)? I checked out those tanks you suggested. Look good. What about a Sub ohm tank? Could that work well? Lastly, the VAMO v5 is variable voltage and wattage. When i attach the tank I have it reads the tank is 2.4 ohm..
Maybe a Kanger Aerotank (this is a little bit older technology but newer than the cig-alikes and that ego /w evod tank in the picture), Aerotank was a step up with dual coils and adjustable airflow. Another tank of that era, and a better performer is the Aspire Nautilus and Nautilus Mini, both adjustable airflow and replaceable coils like the Aerotank, full size is about 4.5ml capacity, mini was a 2.5mil capacity. Both are pretty solid tanks, next step I would suggest is a more modern mod that can do Variable Wattage instead of Variable Voltage, both do the same, but with a VW mod it reads the resistance and sets the necessary voltage to reach that wattage automatically once the wattage setting is set, so multiple resistance coils it will adjust itself to those coils respectively.

Last edited:

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Thanks for chiming in. Is the problem I am experiencing with the eGo tank I have due to resistance on the tank being to high (2.2)? I checked out those tanks you suggested. Look good. What about a Sub ohm tank? Could that work well?

Sub-ohm tank on a Vamo V5 will not work, think the minimum resistance limit on it was around 1.2 to 1.5ohms or so, sub-ohm tanks hadn't been concieved when it was released, it is 3year old tech compared to sub-ohm tanks are about 18months to 24months old. Could be airflow is the problem, to restricted, I'm pretty sure taking say a nominal average wattage of 10 to 12 watts on a Nautilus where it really shines, (1.8ohm coil, Voltage X Voltage/Resistance (Ohms)=Watts) Vamo set at 4.3v then would be (4.3 X 4.3/1.8=10.27watts), 1.6ohm coils you'd be in the 4.1v range (4.1 X 4.1/1.6=10.50watts), only downside to a straight VV mod, you have to do the math.

Ego class which outputs about 3.7v, (3.7 X 3.7/2.2=6.22watts)

With that tank you might be choking down the airflow to keep things cooler if the bottom tank fitting recesses down into the Vamo's beauty ring at the top, the holes in the bottom feed the air here then up into the 510 connection, a tank with a 510 that the base sits flush with its own airflow like the Nautilus will not be affected here.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
VW is just doing VV automatically, kind of like a cruise control...

A 2.2 Ohm tank of that vintage will not want more than about 6-8 Watts which translates to around 3,7-4,25 Volts anything more will just burn the hell out of it.

One slight advantage might be is that since these ancient tanks used silica wicks you might not have burned it so that it might still be usable without a burned taste.

Reactions: Grimwald

DenverDave

Jun 23, 2016
I figured out how to adjust the wattage (output power). I turned it all the way down to 3.0w and the voltage down to its lowest setting 3.0v. MUCH better. It does not taste burned anymore (on the first puff), getting big clouds. However, when I take a second puff quickly following the first, the burned taste is back. Is this due to the fact that this is a $6 gas station tank? Or do I need to adjust my voltage/wattage? What Voltage/Wattage is recommended for a 2.2ohm tank?

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I figured out how to adjust the wattage (output power). I turned it all the way down to 3.0w and the voltage down to its lowest setting 3.0v. MUCH better. It does not taste burned anymore (on the first puff), getting big clouds. However, when I take a second puff quickly following the first, the burned taste is back. Is this due to the fact that this is a $6 gas station tank? Or do I need to adjust my voltage/wattage? What Voltage/Wattage is recommended for a 2.2ohm tank?

About 6 to 8 watts due to its restrictive airflow, nor is the tank designed for chain vaping, the silica wicking, wicks slowly, especially if you are using high VG liquids, 30PG/70VG or higher (up to max VG), those tanks were designed for 50/50 and 60PG/40VG which are thinner. Very sweet and very dark liquids will deteriorate the situation even further by clogging the wicking faster.

As far as shipping, if you are looking for free shipping, Fasttech ships worldwide for free, though their shipping times can be a week to two weeks depending on which warehouse they ship the item from, example if live in the US and the item is in their US warehouse could take 3 to 5 days, if it has to come from their Shenzen Warehouse in China, then you are looking at up to 2 weeks.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
I posted suitable settings for that kind of tank in my previous post.

If you don't want to be spending a small fortune on replacement heads and like a nice, customisable vape, you might want to look into a tank like an SXK Wine, or a Kanger Toptank - if you want the latest, and are willing to spend $5-10 or so more, then you could look at the new Kanger Protank 4 which comes with an RBA (so you can build your own coils) as well as taking the commonly available, reasonably-priced Subtank heads which can themselves be rebuilt and/or re-wicked quite easily.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I also recommend an Aspire Nautilus with the Vamo.

Bingo! :)

Vamo V5 goes to 15w (well, mine does) and this bad boy (the Nautilus) is the best 14w factory coil vape, probably.

Close 2nd goes to GS tank 22mm.

Left-field choice Joyetech Cubis with 1.5 claptons.

If course, a correctly coiled Kayfun is the connoisseurs choice. :)

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Yeah, actually - at the low wattage of the Vamo, even though you could get a decent vape from a properly setup SXK Wine or Kanger Toptank/Protank 4 - a classic Kayfun is the ideal marriage to that mod for a decent MTL vape (retro old-skool FTW!).

If you like MTL, but not quite the 'sucking a golf ball through a hose' type, then you can always mod a classic Kayfun, or get one of the newer ones like the KF v3+ or the v5...

Reactions: IMFire3605

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Yeah, actually - at the low wattage of the Vamo, even though you could get a decent vape from a properly setup SXK Wine or Kanger Toptank/Protank 4 - a classic Kayfun is the ideal marriage to that mod for a decent MTL vape (retro old-skool FTW!).

If you like MTL, but not quite the 'sucking a golf ball through a hose' type, then you can always mod a classic Kayfun, or get one of the newer ones like the KF v3+ or the v5...

authentic Kayfun v5 = $120

authentic Aspire Nautilus = $25

:confused: "Decisions....decisions..."

Reactions: Eskie

GeorgeS

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • May 31, 2015
    Oregon, USA
    On those type of mods you have two modes of operation: VV or VW.

As others have mentioned, many of the eGo type tanks (1.8-2.2ohm) really don't want much power OR voltage applied to them. I usually run my VV/VW mods in VV mode so I know what voltage is applied to the coil(s).

On some of the older atomizers you might get lucky and have silica wick. Not only does it last longer but it can withstand much much higher temperatures before degrading.

I rarely if ever run my Nautilus 1.8ohm atomizers over 4-4.5V (10W).

The rule of thumb is to start with a well primed coil/atomizer and slowly work your way up from the minimum output to where your getting a decent vape. Keep in mind that "decent vape" is relative here, you won't be "chucking clouds" with a low power, low output eGo tank.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread