Saying Hello, Need Help with Tank for VAMO v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenverDave

Jun 23, 2016
I have been checking out retailer website. I have gotten a good foundation from the input you guys have contributed in this thread. Much appreciated. That being said with all the options out there it's overwhelming to say the least. Rocky Mtn Vape is near me, the store is about 20min away so I might pop in.

Have been thinking of going with the Nautilus Mini for my VAMO set up. However, some folks have suggested the Kanger Aerotank (V2 VOCC- is the version I have found on Rocky Mtn.) the Aerotank is $16, half the price of the Nautilus. Is the Nautilus twice as good as the Aerotank?

I am also looking to purchase tanks to use with my E-Smart (510 thread) batteries for when I am on the go. Should I stick with the Kanger e- Smart tanks or is there a better alternative out there?

Thanks again for all the helpful advice.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
The Nautilus is a good MTL tank IMO, but the coils don't last very long, they're expensive, and not everywhere sells them - there's also no (decent working) RBA section available for it.

The Aerotank certainly isn't *half* the tank that the Nautilus is, and has the benefit of cheaper, more widely available heads which are actually quite practical to rebuild - still no RBA section available for this tank, though.

For around USD$12, you could get a nice modern MTL tank like a Kayfun v3+ which is a single coil RTA which you build your own coils for and is easy to rewick etc., which gives a much better vape when done right, and saves a lot of money on replacement heads.

Reactions: nancybout

DenverDave

Jun 23, 2016
I checked out the Keyfun options. For now, I am going to go with something a little more plug and play. If I get more advanced I will revisit the KeyFun.

So this is where I am at right now: Is the only difference between the AeroTank and Genitank is that the Aero is Stainless steel and Geni is chrome plated?

If that's the case, Instead of getting the AeroTank V2 with the VOCC coils ($16), I can get the Genitank ($9) and a 5 pack of the VOCC coils ($10). Seems like a no-brainer.

I know I am really pinching pennies here but I am new to this and not sure I am going to stick with it so for a starter set-up I would like to keep the price down.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Yes on the chrome/steel - get an Aerotank for the better materials I reckon - the plating does wear off after a bit of use with the plated chrome gear - they go kind of yellow and manky-looking.

You can also recoil/rewick the Kanger heads quite easily, even though there is no RBA available for those tanks, which is good - saves tons of cash as well as providing a better, more tailored vaping experience.

All those tanks are pretty old by now - I mean they still *work*, but there have been *some* real advancements in MTL vaping in the intervening years.

I personally wouldn't spend that much on a Nautilus these days - I really would look towards getting a newer tank at that kind of price (you can get a really decent Kayfun v3+ clone for USD$12), but the Kangers are cheap enough.

It really isn't hard at all to rewick/recoil RBAs on tanks with nice decks on them - you can even buy bags of 50-100 pre-coiled coils if you really can't be bothered wrapping them.

Rebuilding the Kanger heads can be a little more fiddly, as they were designed to be disposable, but once you've done a couple a few times, it really does become second nature - most of the time you're keeping the coil, and just replacing the cotton wick with a fresh one.

EDIT: As for your other threaded tanks, you can get an eGo-510 adapter to use them on 510 mods, or vice-versa. They're good as you can keep them in all the time and use them with both kinds of tanks, and they act as a 'thread saver', saving the often soft connector threads from stripping and wear which can be a problem especially on some VAMO models.

2044706-3.jpg

1284600-4.jpg

Last edited:

DenverDave

Jun 23, 2016
It was recommended to me in this thread that I should use the older style tanks discussed because of the battery I have, a VAMO v5.

What newer tanks do you suggest I check out? my battery maxes out at 6v/15w...

Yes on the chrome/steel - get an Aerotank for the better materials I reckon - the plating does wear off after a bit of use with the plated chrome gear - they go kind of yellow and manky-looking.

You can also recoil/rewick the Kanger heads quite easily, even though there is no RBA available for those tanks, which is good - saves tons of cash as well as providing a better, more tailored vaping experience.

All those tanks are pretty old by now - I mean they still *work*, but there have been *some* real advancements in MTL vaping in the intervening years.

I personally wouldn't spend that much on a Nautilus these days - I really would look towards getting a newer tank at that kind of price (you can get a really decent Kayfun v3+ clone for USD$12), but the Kangers are cheap enough.

It really isn't hard at all to rewick/recoil RBAs on tanks with nice decks on them - you can even buy bags of 50-100 pre-coiled coils if you really can't be bothered wrapping them.

Rebuilding the Kanger heads can be a little more fiddly, as they were designed to be disposable, but once you've done a couple a few times, it really does become second nature - most of the time you're keeping the coil, and just replacing the cotton wick with a fresh one.

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Ah right - 15W max, eh?

Then you might be best off sticking with an Aerotank then, or if you wanted to permanently free yourself from having to buy or rewick/coiling replacement heads, and you got into simple coil/wick building (which is *really* simple) then something like a nice Kayfun v3+ clone with something like a 1,6 Ohm coil in it should work nicely - they can be had for around USD$14, too.

4596400-6.jpg

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
It was recommended to me in this thread that I should use the older style tanks discussed because of the battery I have, a VAMO v5.

What newer tanks do you suggest I check out? my battery maxes out at 6v/15w...

If looking for a more modern plug and play tank that has replacement coils that will work on the Vamo V5, you might look at the Kanger Subtank/Toptank series (the Mini versions would line up more asthetically with the Vamo) with either 1.2 or 1.5/1.6ish ohm coils, also there is the just release Protank4 (which is an evolution of both the Subtank/Toptank and Protank/Aerotank/Genitank series and fusing them together, but might overhang and be wider due to its large capacity, equal to the Subtank Plus (7ml)).

Another option would be to find a Protank2 or Protank3 and also an Aerotank airflow regulator/base.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Aerotank?

and I thought I was "a bit 2013". :eek:

(what a dreadful, dreadful thought).... Aerotank? With what... Kanger silica coils?

*Lost for words*

The Vamo can run a Cubis with the 1.5ohm coils. They last longer, they taste good for more than 2 days, they don't leak (it's almost a leak free tank) and I got the coils cheaper than the last box of kanger Silicas I bought back sometime in the 1970s.

*sighs*

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
Aerotank?

and I thought I was "a bit 2013". :eek:

(what a dreadful, dreadful thought).... Aerotank? With what... Kanger silica coils?

*Lost for words*

Yeah - it was just he was saying how skint he was and the prices he was being offered the tanks he could get led me to suggest that. I also suggested a decent Kayfun v3+ clone for USD$13 or so. ;)

I still occasionally use my PT2 and Aerotank, both with Aerobase v2 on them with coils I've rebuilt myself with Muji and SS/Kanthal/Nicr80. They're OK for a cheap stealth beater when I know I'm going to be away from the house for a while.

...I got the coils cheaper than the last box of kanger Silicas I bought back sometime in the 1970s.

*sighs*
I LOL'd! :)

+1

Reactions: djsvapour

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
100ft of Tempco = 250 coils. $6,, think of the possibilities.
On a VamoV5, i have 2, a 1.2 ohm coil & a monster base kfun.
It's not plug&play, your first coil will work. Your 4th coil will bring a smile.
You will walk around with a grin while your friends complain about their burned out coils..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread