Second thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub Zero

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2013
New York, Queens
So I ordered this as my first vape:

$54.32 Vamo V3 Variable Voltage E-Cigarette Mod Battery Compartment Set - with Nitecore I2 charger / 2*Sony US18650V3 batteries at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Which is taking for ever to come as it was out of stock (the battery so they switched them)

So this is a VV now apparently it will not fire under 1.3ohms or something along those lines. What does ohms pertain to the amount of vapor as I'm looking for huge clouds. I was thinking about just buying a telescopic mod before this one ever gets here if the case is that ohms pertains to the amount of vapor.

Ohms is the measurable of resistance against the voltage you use. Basically the lower the Ohms the more voltage gets through and the hotter the coils get. End result = more vapor. It takes time but you will have to find what Voltage vs. what resistance for each flavor to find what you like. Too much voltage on a low resistance coil will reduce the life of that coil. Here is what was on a card from a Kangertech purchase I just made.

Suitable Voltage to different Resistance

1.7 - 1.9 Ohms 3.1 - 3.4 Volts
2.1 - 2.3 3.5 - 3.8
2.4 - 2.6 3.9 - 4.2
2.6 - 3.0 4.3 - 4.7

I use rebuildable clearos such as IClear16, Kanter T3S and EVODs as well as Protanks. You can get replacement coils with different Ohms and play with the flavors until you find what you like.

Sub Zero

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2013
New York, Queens
Ohms is the measurable of resistance against the voltage you use. Basically the lower the Ohms the more voltage gets through and the hotter the coils get. End result = more vapor. It takes time but you will have to find what Voltage vs. what resistance for each flavor to find what you like. Too much voltage on a low resistance coil will reduce the life of that coil. Here is what was on a card from a Kangertech purchase I just made.

Suitable Voltage to different Resistance

1.7 - 1.9 Ohms 3.1 - 3.4 Volts
2.1 - 2.3 3.5 - 3.8
2.4 - 2.6 3.9 - 4.2
2.6 - 3.0 4.3 - 4.7

I use rebuildable clearos such as IClear16, Kanter T3S and EVODs as well as Protanks. You can get replacement coils with different Ohms and play with the flavors until you find what you like.

Ah I see, other members are using under 1 ohm for massive clouds so I guess getting a telescopic mod would be the best for me as this one won't work under 1.3.

Edit: Thanks for the informative post. Feel free to give some more info people.

What is the correspondence of ohms to volts?
What do you do with a new set of battery's (how long to charge?)
What do you do with a tank? I heard of people cleaning them before?

Last edited:
OK, I will answer what I know (or at least what I think I know)

Voltage minus Resistance (Ohms) = heat. It's a little more complex than that, but in a nutshell I guess.

Always charge your new batteries for about eight hours. Even if the light says charge complete. This will maximize the life of the battery.

Some people clean new tanks, I don't. I do, however, rinse in hot water and let air dry whenever I change flavors or if it starts acting up (leaking, bad flavor, etc.).
If you get a tank with metal parts like an IClear30 or a Protank, I actually boil the metal parts and let air dry/cool before using. This prevents you from getting a metallic taste.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
Wow, that's a heck of a nice way to start and at a great price too. I started with a VV too because i did not want to just get one in another month. I probably should have though just because a MVP V2 is coming out soon and its also VW.

I think you can get some good clouds from any of the popular tanks/clearos with the right volts and juice blends. You may need to swap a wick or a coil in an iClear or Pro Tank to get exactly what you are after but its not that hard. Ive only used 2.1ohm heads so far but it seems to work.

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
So I ordered this as my first vape:

$54.32 Vamo V3 Variable Voltage E-Cigarette Mod Battery Compartment Set - with Nitecore I2 charger / 2*Sony US18650V3 batteries at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Which is taking for ever to come as it was out of stock (the battery so they switched them)

So this is a VV now apparently it will not fire under 1.3ohms or something along those lines. What does ohms pertain to the amount of vapor as I'm looking for huge clouds. I was thinking about just buying a telescopic mod before this one ever gets here if the case is that ohms pertains to the amount of vapor.

Did you read the description before you ordered 1.5Ω - 5Ω

Usual resistance for most coils is 1.8Ω - a little over 3Ω

I run 2.5Ω all day long on mine and they work very well

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It's good that you are asking questions. But slow down a little. Don't be chasing clouds of vapor via sub ohm coils right away. Know exactly what you are doing with an RBA using normal resistance coils first.

I'm assuming you are new to e-cigs based on the questions that you are asking. RBA's are advanced devices that require some prior knowledge of the basics of Ohm's Law (the correspondence of ohms + volts + battery amperage). You will need a digital multimeter and learn how to measure your coils before firing one up. You will need special IMR batteries that have a high amperage capacity in order to do sub ohms safely. You need to know how to spot a short and know how to deal with it. Sub ohm vaping walks a fine line of safety to avoid frying your mod or your face.

You can find a lot of the information that you seek in my blog articles. I've spent a lot of time and effort collecting this information for new vapors. Take advantage of all of this resource information that can be found in one place:

E-Cigarette Forum - Baditude - Blogs

Last edited:

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
The vamo will be your first vaporizer?

What delivery system are you putting on it?

My advice would be to wait for it and use the vamo for a while and get the hang of vaping.

Also, there's a lot to learn before you go off cloud chasing. Sub-ohm is not a requirement for big clouds and is not advised for a beginner.

Depending on the juice delivery system and pg/vg mix you use, you can get a lot of vapor from a vv device.

Less resistance does not necessarily equal more vapor. Plus there are many other variables to account for like airflow, wick material, coil surface area, how fast your juice wicks, Vg ratio, etc.

You need a multimeter (and know how to use it), good batteries (know their amp limits), the right wick material (so it can keep up), the correct gauge and type of wire, and a suitable delivery system.
There's really a lot to it.

If this is your first pv, just relax, you may be suprised at how much vapor it puts out.

Sub Zero

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2013
New York, Queens
OK, I will answer what I know (or at least what I think I know)

Voltage minus Resistance (Ohms) = heat. It's a little more complex than that, but in a nutshell I guess.

Always charge your new batteries for about eight hours. Even if the light says charge complete. This will maximize the life of the battery.

Some people clean new tanks, I don't. I do, however, rinse in hot water and let air dry whenever I change flavors or if it starts acting up (leaking, bad flavor, etc.).
If you get a tank with metal parts like an IClear30 or a Protank, I actually boil the metal parts and let air dry/cool before using. This prevents you from getting a metallic taste.

Guess I will have to wait till the tank comes to be able to see what exactly are you talking about the tank I did order was this due to the high customer rating.

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1384000

For new members if you want huge clouds of vapor just use 100% VG. bnrk

Apparently you are suppose to use a certain atty to be able to run 100% VG?

It's good that you are asking questions. But slow down a little. Don't be chasing clouds of vapor via sub ohm coils right away. Know exactly what you are doing with an RBA using normal resistance coils first.

I'm assuming you are new to e-cigs based on the questions that you are asking. RBA's are advanced devices that require some prior knowledge of the basics of Ohm's Law (the correspondence of ohms + volts + battery amperage). You will need a digital multimeter and learn how to measure your coils before firing one up. You will need special IMR batteries that have a high amperage capacity in order to do sub ohms safely. You need to know how to spot a short and know how to deal with it. Sub ohm vaping walks a fine line of safety to avoid frying your mod or your face.

You can find a lot of the information that you seek in my blog articles. I've spent a lot of time and effort collecting this information for new vapors. Take advantage of all of this resource information that can be found in one place:

E-Cigarette Forum - Baditude - Blogs

Well that post scared the sht of of me ha lol. From what I understand I cant even use a RBA since Those are 1 ohm?

DoogieTony

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
Indianapolis, IN
The batteries we use don't have memory so leaving them on the charger longer than needed is useless, some may take a few charge cycles to reach their full potential (meaning charge them and use them several times)

With new tanks its always a good idea to clean then thoroughly before use. They may still have machine oil on/in them from production. You can either wash several times with hot water or soak in vinegar/alcohol (not rubbing alc.) then rinse thoroughly and let dry

RBA stands for rebuildable atomizer, these are set up by the user by wrapping kanthal or nichrome wire coils around a wick material, they can be any resistance you want them to be. They're really made for advanced users.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
I just ordered an iClear clearo to try. To use 100% VG in there you may have to dilute it with a few drops of distilled water to get VG to wick well. I do add VG to some of my high PG juices so they wick well in clearos, too runny is also a problem :) Actually if you use 100 VG it will envelope you in clouds of vapor you can get lost in, if that is what you are after. No need to go sub ohm to do that. bnrk

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Well that post scared the sht of of me ha lol. From what I understand I cant even use a RBA since Those are 1 ohm?
If I made you cautiously aware, then I served my purpose without discouraging you to learn more. So often we see newcomers to vaping who have seen videos of the huge clouds - the "cloud chasers" - we call them. They often haven't done their "homework" so to speak, and are using unsafe techiques and unsafe batteries which could lead to disaster. I particularly get upset when B&M vendors set up a new vapor with a sub ohm RBA knowing full well that the customer has no clue what he's getting into. This is pure negligence on their part.

You don't need to use sub ohms on an RBA to get clouds. I use 2.0 ohm coils on my AGA-T2 RBAs and get lol clouds, and I'm doing it reasonably safely, too. Because I did my "homework" before I got started.

Last edited:

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
I can get a pretty massive cloud out of an Evod with 1.8ohm head on a 50/50 juice running at 4 volts on my eGo Twist, and it's just as easy to get the same results with a Vamo, as I used to own a V2 and was cloud-chasing for a bit with a Protank/Evod and thicker juices (at least 50% VG). No need to get into sub-ohm as others have said, I mean you may not fog the room, but you get a cloud that will block your vision completely for a few seconds, it was bad enough I had to start vaping high-resistance cartos on my Vamo while I was playing games cause I couldn't see the screen otherwise.

Once you get some experience under your belt, look at recoiling Evod/Protank heads and wrap one at 1.4-1.5 ohms, right at the Vamo's cut-off limit, and give that a whirl with 50/50 juice at around eight or nine watts, I think you'll be impressed with both the flavor and the vapor production, not to mention the nicotine hit you get off it might knock you on your rear.

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I was and still am a bit of a cloud chaser noob but in a short time i learned so much here. The YouTube video of the guy blowing a massive cloud from the iClear30 really got my attention and it was only on 3.7v. The supplied dual 3ohm coils running in parallel for an actual 1.5ohm.....at atleast that is Innokins spec for the unit.

Im mean this looked really cool for a noob.....Right?
Innokin iclear 30 review - YouTube
I got to tell you guys this thing vapes like a F-ing boss

Well it is cool and i like my iClear30 and i have little doubt you will like the iClear16. Remember you can swap heads/coils between the two. 4wicks in the i16 vs 16wicks in the i30 heads can change things. There is another video that mentions this too and swapping them is as easy as changing the heads. Its no different than replacing an old dead one.

I can't say this guy is as entertaining but its worth a look and its a simple popular iClear16 to i30 head swap.
Iclear30 + Iclear16= WIN!!! - YouTube

I have a Pro Tank II also because of the rave reviews but it did not give me the WOW as much as the i30 in terms of vapor but its still a great tank and the minor airy complaints are a simple fix also....swap coils to short stem evods or get a 510-510 SEALED extender for a couple bucks....Both modifications are "novice simple" and cheap to try.

The point is you don't have to get into advanced rebuild-able sub ohms stuff to get a very satisfying vape. I USED to smoke and inhale Backwoods and mini cigars. I know what strong clouds are like. I have not even given carto based tanks a good attempt yet because my first half hearted attempt gave very poor results. I have no plans to move to RBAs until im totally comfortable with the idea and researched it thoroughly.

Give those iClear16s a good try and order some iClear30 heads with it if you want to try a very simple modification. Start at 3.8v and work up slowly to 4.2v. I ran at full 5v with my i30 for most of the first day and realized it was not needed or recommended. I can run 4v with total satisfaction using the Innokin dual coils that come with them.

Sub Zero

Verified Member
Aug 11, 2013
New York, Queens
Thank you for the input EVERYONE. Took me a while to read it all and Baditude's great blog entry's.

I will be avoiding RBA's until I understand more about vaping as I now know the dangers that it comes with.

MY VAPE DID COME TODAY!!!! VAMO V3 with ICLEAR 16.

So edger I charged it for an hour and went at it.

But I still have some questions! So I have come to understand that wattage on my VAMO = how hot the coils get aka vape output and taste.

I like the clouds on 15V but its super harsh the Iclear gets hot. Is there anyway to get cooler vapor, I was guessing since its more of a top coil I guess? That the juice is being heated and then strait into my mouth hot.

Also I was wondering is there a dripping atty that I WONT HAVE TO REBUILD. I hate finishing a tank just to change the flavor.

Edit: 15V should work fine though on a 100% VG Blend though since it would be thicker?

Last edited:

SilverZero

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2013
Illinois, USA
Thank you for the input EVERYONE. Took me a while to read it all and Baditude's great blog entry's.

I will be avoiding RBA's until I understand more about vaping as I now know the dangers that it comes with.

MY VAPE DID COME TODAY!!!! VAMO V3 with ICLEAR 16.

So edger I charged it for an hour and went at it.

But I still have some questions! So I have come to understand that wattage on my VAMO = how hot the coils get aka vape output and taste.

I like the clouds on 15V but its super harsh the Iclear gets hot. Is there anyway to get cooler vapor, I was guessing since its more of a top coil I guess? That the juice is being heated and then strait into my mouth hot.

Also I was wondering is there a dripping atty that I WONT HAVE TO REBUILD. I hate finishing a tank just to change the flavor.

Edit: 15V should work fine though on a 100% VG Blend though since it would be thicker?

15W is way too high for that atomizer. Start at around 6W and work your way up until you find the best setting for you. If you increase the wattage and taste a slightly burnt flavor back it back down.

Look online for a 510 bridgeless dripping atomizer. Other than rinsing it out occasionally there really isn't any maintenance needed and they aren't very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread