Second Try - Torching

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
At torching a Nemesis. Both were clones so no worries as to replacing and retrying :) didn't come out as even or as blue as I'd like but not too shabby I think. Looks interesting enough to carry around. I used a bernzomatic butane hand torch (only one I have). Does anyone with experience here have any tips and tricks to share? Much appreciated :)
2u6utyju.jpg

Sent via Telepathic Brain Waves

gburnf

Verified Member
Jan 3, 2014
sf
Here's a kayfun I did not to long ago. Heat treating is hard the color of the metal changes drastically by going up a few degrees, for example if your looking for purple it can only be achieved between 520-540 degrees, here's a chart that show the color at different temps. I use a big propane torch and slowly bring the temp up by backing off the flame every time I see changes in color

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
At torching a Nemesis. Both were clones so no worries as to replacing and retrying :) didn't come out as even or as blue as I'd like but not too shabby I think. Looks interesting enough to carry around. I used a bernzomatic butane hand torch (only one I have). Does anyone with experience here have any tips and tricks to share? Much appreciated :)
2u6utyju.jpg

I think it looks good. It looks like you dipped it in water though to cool it down, correct?

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
I think it looks good. It looks like you dipped it in water though to cool it down, correct?

No I let it cool down on its own actually. My first Neme I dipped in water according to a video id seen and the rapid cooling completely ruined the outside and left black/ brittle spots everywhere. So this time I went a lot slower and set it down to cool by itself and polished it afterwards.

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
Here's a kayfun I did not to long ago. Heat treating is hard the color of the metal changes drastically by going up a few degrees, for example if your looking for purple it can only be achieved between 520-540 degrees, here's a chart that show the color at different temps. I use a big propane torch and slowly bring the temp up by backing off the flame every time I see changes in color

Ah so to have gotten the blue I wanted I'd have had to go up in temp further? I was worried about it getting darker. This chart is great, I can reference it to see the progression. Planning on ordering bulk Nemes on FT to try getting different grades :D

To Mods: I apologize for the multiple posts. I'm not quite sure how to multi-quote on my phone.

Last edited:

NatureBoy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2010
Peterborough, ON, Canada
No I let it cool down on its own actually. My first Neme I dipped in water according to a video id seen and the rapid cooling completely ruined the outside and left black/ brittle spots everywhere. So this time I went a lot slower and set it down to cool by itself and polished it afterwards.

Oh, ok.. yeah dipping in water ruins it. I followed the same bad advice the first few times I tried torching, then clued into air drying.

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
Oh, ok.. yeah dipping in water ruins it. I followed the same bad advice the first few times I tried torching, then clued into air drying.

Yeah. One crapped out Nemesis was enough for me to stop and rethink it haha. I'm already having a hard time finding an affordable replacement for it. Was an HCigar Copper Nemesis I got for $30 and everything I find is around $60 >_<

Koudotai

ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2014
Canyon Country
1st is my fav.... ;)

1st time is pretty rustic look I likely:) you you don't want send it to me:)

Haha I'm surprised. It's completely overdone. I'm willing to send it out to whomever pm's me their address but keep in mind that it's just the tube as shown. The locking ring was deformed in the process and the top cap and button were taken apart for the pieces to fix a coworker's top cap and button.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread