The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Securing the cord on a USB pass through and the threads?

Discussion in 'Battery Mods' started by macpanda, Mar 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. macpanda

macpanda Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 20, 2009
    Geneva, IL
    I have a question.... What would be the best glue to use to secure the battery thread part back into the metal battery tube? that would not affect the solder points if any got on them. And my other question is for securing the cord coming out the other end so it doesnt move... would simple electrical tape do the job or I was thinking of putting some epoxy or something and then putting tape at the end. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks.

2. secondson2929

secondson2929 Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

I have used heat shrink to build up around the usb cable then superglue to finish. I have also used hot glue with good results because it retains its elasticity.

3. invidregis

invidregis Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    I have used 2 part epoxy. As Elwood Blues says: Epoxy, strong stuff.

4. eskimoroll

eskimoroll Senior Member ECF Veteran

Feb 1, 2009
    Minneapolis, MN
    Another vote for two part epoxy such as JB Weld. I used hot glue in my mods because I was lazy and wanted the quick and easy approach but its definitely not as stable and permanent as epoxy.

5. macpanda

Feb 20, 2009
    Geneva, IL
    Thanks guys. I will try those :)

6. macpanda

Feb 20, 2009
    Geneva, IL
    Would it be bad if i got epoxy over my solder points? does the 5v heat up the epoxy or anything? sorry for all the questions. Im new to this kinda of stuff

7. invidregis

invidregis Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 16, 2008
    Chicago, USA
    Microsoft has started using epoxy over "certain chips" on the xbox 360 so they cant be tampered with. I don't know the voltage, but it shouldn't be a problem.

8. cekte

cekte Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2009
    Oregon
    You should be fine using epoxy over solder connections if that is what you choose to use.

Agreed with Secondson. Hot glue, has a bit more elasticity, and forgiveness. It can be a bit more ideal for some situations.

Careful in which epoxy you choose for the application. Some maybe a bit on the stiff and brittle side. ie, JB Weld.

Perhaps a strain relief? I like using those as well ;) (if possible)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.