ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I caught that too - Eric figuring to BP. And it's 'new to them' so to speak. Good that he figured it out. We've had a few years to absorb all the angles.

Re: the Senators:
"maybe it's time to slap a warning label across their mouths.. Beware, second hand stupidity kills."

We need to send Gutfeld some information (maybe through CASAA) on BP's funding of the groups who are consistently working to have vaping banned.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
The only reason Harkin and other lefty Senate Dems introduced this bill was to put even more pressure on Obama to let the FDA propose and impose the deeming and other regs to decimate the e-cig industry. In fact, that's the sole purpose of ALL of the many different press releases, letters and bills against e-cigs by these same Senate Dems (and by Waxman in the House) since 2011.

There is ZERO chance that Harkin's clearly unconstiutional bill will be enacted, ZERO chance the House would pass it, less than a 5% chance the Senate would pass it, and probably less than a 10% chance the Senate HELP Cmte (Chaired by Harkin) would pass it.

BTW This thread belongs in the legislative news section, and please post future legislative news in that section.

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
customcabinetsbycasey.com

Please share!

It would be hugely beneficial to see how you approached it with the Senator, and provide a jump-start to others in writing their own.

And if it's totally awesome, I'll just plagiarizer the heck out of it and send it to my totally worthless bags of human debris senators too. :sneaky:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
You my friend are a wordsmith maestro!!!

I bow in humble admiration!

This is getting reblogged/ facebooked and anything else I can think of.

My ECF blog entry: The latest from the Democrats waging war on E-cigs / Vaping, and a Smoker's right to a healthy life

My letter to congress,

I am writing today to encourage you to stand up against the recent Protecting Children from Electronic Cigarette Advertising Act proposed by Markey and others. This act purports to have saving lives as its main goal. However, the effects would be the exact opposite.

Numerous studies since 2009 have shown that Electronic Nicotine Delivery Devices have a cigarette cessation rate equal to or higher than pharmaceutical methods. In some studies the rate of significantly decreased cigarette consumption at 24 months was over 50%. In multiple studies it was found that the common e-cigarette was more pleasant to use than currently marketed nicotine inhalators from pharmaceutical companies. Yet, the e-cigarette's pharmacological profile was far more like the inhalator than a classic cigarette. A study published in Food and Chemical Toxicology vol. 50 issue 10 also shows that second hand vapor from an Electronic Nicotine Delivery Device has none of the negative effects on complete blood count or inflammation that a classic cigarette has.

The Protecting Children From Electronic Cigarette Advertising Act is a misplaced bill based on fear instead of science. It is based on an idea that adults don't like sweet flavored things or find beautiful models attractive in advertising. Millions of adults indulge in e-cigarettes and other forms of “vaping” on a regular basis. Many of them opt for flavors such as caramel macchiato, blue berry muffin, and chocolate orange. Many former classic cigarette smokers, that now use electronic devices, will openly admit that the fruit and desert flavors are what allowed them to quit. It isn't about attracting children. It is about getting adults away from the “close enough, but not exactly” feeling of synthetic tobacco that causes many to relapse.

What we have in the PCFECAA is a misguided attempt at legislation that ignores science, and the health of millions. I understand the desire to save children from bad outcomes. However, when it means killing other people, is it worth it? Even the Royal College of Physicians of London has stated, “This RCP report makes the case for harm reduction strategies to protect smokers. The report demonstrates that smokers smoke predominantly for nicotine, that nicotine itself is not especially hazardous, and that if nicotine could be provided in a form that is acceptable and effective as a cigarette substitute, millions of lives could be saved. The report also argues that the regulatory systems that currently govern nicotine products in most countries, including the UK, actively discourage the development, marketing and promotion of significantly safer nicotine products to smokers."

I encourage you to stand up for the lives of millions of smokers that could be saved.

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
Last edited:

Talyon

Vape 4 Life
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 21, 2013
Toronto
I guess I've missed something. I haven't seen bubble gum flavors, etc, marketed to kids in advertising. I've only seen the "take your freedom back" type ads clearly marketing to adults. Has anyone seen advertising marketing to kids?

Nope none notta nil zilch zero........

We get ads up here on Fox about ecigs all the time.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Thanks for sharing, Kent. Now I am waiting for some of the liberal vapers on ECF to pop in and tell us how bad it is that Fox News provides one more positive commentary on vaping. Also interesting that Bob Beckel, Democratic campaign manager for Walter Mondale, accurately points out that these senators are all very liberal politicians.

I think many are starting to see it too ;-) Many of those type of comments come from the 'moved' threads from New Members or General. Many here, get it... they might not like it, but they get it :laugh: ... with regard to ecigarettes, anyway. :D Hopefully some of it will spill over to other regulatory stuff.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I guess I've missed something. I haven't seen bubble gum flavors, etc, marketed to kids in advertising. I've only seen the "take your freedom back" type ads clearly marketing to adults. Has anyone seen advertising marketing to kids?

To me, the question is, what constitutes "being marketed to kids?"

Were cigarettes really ever marketed to kids? I would have tough time believing that. Even if they were once or a few times, I highly doubt that was the intention of the marketing department in cig companies.

If something is to be truly marketed to kids, I would think a few things would need to be considered. I would say first would be demographics of the age group. 16 year olds aren't into same products as 3 year olds. So, huge point #1 would be that not all kids are the same, and clearly a 14 year old (and up) is closer to young adult than sweet little innocent child that is incapable of understanding anything about anything.

Second huge point would be product placement, especially in terms of advertising. If a website, radio program, or TV show is said to cater to an audience of 14 to 25 year olds, how are people that wish to advertise to 21 year olds supposed to handle that sort of marketing? IMO, they aren't supposed to be able to handle it when it comes to issues like this, that are meant to be used for exploitation of children as political pawns.

Other points:

- flavors issue continues to be the biggest issue for eCig marketing IMO. I think all vapers get that many adults like the candy type flavors, with some of us who prefer those above any other eCig flavor. Yet, as long as those flavors exist, they present an easy target to those who wish to exploit children for political change. To those people, the goal is to ban those flavors and then keep chipping away at other flavors that are sweet and wonderful. IMO, the solution needs to be, or will be, adults organizing around idea that adults love these flavors too. And I can foresee a day when the types of adults organizing are not necessarily vapers but those who see the writing on the proverbial political wall.

- cute graphics / cartoons / pretty people / celebrities used in marketing is something that is as old as advertising. This and candy like flavors are what makes eCigs an easy target. Like flavors, this is simply being put forth as if eCigs are only company using these tactics to attract attention to their product. In the piece linked in OP, I think Harkin says something like "it is undeniable that eCigs are using these advertisements to specifically target kids." Whereas, I find it entirely deniable and that instead many products will use same ploys to draw attention to their products.

- product placement / advertising at sporting events and music festivals is the last point I wish to bring up now. This is one where I can see opposition winning on, but is one I think most people don't really care about in practice, even while in theory it is same point I mentioned above as to how are you supposed to reach the 21 and older crowd while magically shielding your message to the 17 and younger crowd?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
If advertising/flavors would ONLY be aimed at adults, then the Anti's would say the kids who want to be 'grown ups' are the target.

Gutfeld hit on a good point - if ecigs were around 30 years ago, many of our parents would still be alive.

So, Senator... IF you REALLY "care about" kids, then keep their parents Alive! by not trying to regulate or ban ecigarettes, and lying about how kids are targeted, when they're not!

Last edited:

CabinetGuyScott

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2014
Detroit
If advertising/flavors would ONLY be aimed at adults, then the Anti's would say the kids who want to be 'grown ups' are the target.

Gutfeld hit on a good point - if ecigs were around 30 years ago, many of our parents would still be alive.

So, Senator... IF you REALLY "care about" kids, then keep their parents Alive! by not trying to regulate or ban ecigarettes, and lying about how kids are targeted, when they're not!

++!

And a variation on that...
Democrats actions killing children's parents - causing grief & sadness

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
++!

And a variation on that...
Democrats actions killing children's parents - causing grief & sadness

Right on... Thanks to Gutfeld, I stumbled into a pretty good line against the targeting kids ploy....

IF you REALLY "care about" kids, then keep their parents Alive!

WASHINGTON, D.C.— U.S. Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, joined Senators Barbara Boxer (D-CA), .... Durbin (D-IL), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), and Edward J. Markey (D-MA) today in introducing the Protecting Children from firearms Advertising Act to prohibit the marketing of firearms to children and teens.

The same people are "anti-gun"........ just change the words. Typical of these left-wing "we don't care what THE PEOPLE" say crowd.

Tom

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
WASHINGTON, D.C.— U.S. Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA), Chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions (HELP) Committee, joined Senators Barbara Boxer (D-CA), .... Durbin (D-IL), Richard Blumenthal (D-CT), and Edward J. Markey (D-MA) today in introducing the Protecting Children from firearms Advertising Act to prohibit the marketing of firearms to children and teens.

The same people are "anti-gun"........ just change the words. Typical of these left-wing "we don't care what THE PEOPLE" say crowd.

Tom

You're right. That same line - 'keep their parents alive,' applies to the gun issue as well... but we should stay on topic here. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread