Sensitivity Pneumonitis

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
If you are having sudden difficulty breathing when vaping, this may be your answer. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.

I know a few of us keep posting for years but are getting shot down by the “vaping is perfectly healthy” crowd. But it appears some of us are developing inflammation due to PG/VG and have developed long term issues. 3 years post vape. Still under the care of multiple doctors. I know a few people on here have been through the same thing.

• Informative
Reactions: Izan

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
We’ve got competing definitions here, one which specifically excludes vaping, and one which is more vague. I’m tempted to trust the more specific one.

Only the first definition under duck-duck-go doesn’t specifically mention organic dust though and refers only to a “trigger”

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
If you are having sudden difficulty breathing when vaping, this may be your answer. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.

It could be.

Smokers, and Ex-Smokers such as yourself, have been linked to Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.

Maybe in 10 Years, Vapers (either Ex-Smoking and or Never Smokers) will be added to this list also?

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
It could be.

Smokers, and Ex-Smokers such as yourself, have been linked to Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.

Maybe in 10 Years, Vapers (either Ex-Smoking and or Never Smokers) will be added to this list also?
It would absolutely make sense. I see so many people with the same symptoms posting here. I think temperature has a lot to do with lung health, so keep the vapes cool, everyone!

Also, we don’t know WHAT exactly is causing this so, obviously, use flavors with fewer ingredients or DIY. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis won’t happen to everyone, but it happened to me after a year and a half of vaping.

Is it definitively linked? No. Is it worth exploring? Yes. It’s still better than tar and cancer.

• Winner
Reactions: bombastinator

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
I'm inclined to go with wiki since both pg and vg are resistant to molds.
I was curious about molds also but PG/VG are resistant. It is probably not dust or air. Continual exposure to a humectant maybe? Of course, there’s always alcohol and flavorings, but I doubt we will find out.

Moral of the story: Everything has risks. I am currently managed with my meds and I do just fine. But it was a huge inconvenience for about a year. If something doesn’t feel right when you vape, take a break. If it flares up again once you start vaping again, don’t mess around with trying to alter the formula for your juice, just stop before it becomes a bigger problem.

And also, 99.8% of you won’t experience this. Carry on as usual.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It would absolutely make sense. I see so many people with the same symptoms posting here. I think temperature has a lot to do with lung health, so keep the vapes cool, everyone!

Also, we don’t know WHAT exactly is causing this so, obviously, use flavors with fewer ingredients or DIY. Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis won’t happen to everyone, but it happened to me after a year and a half of vaping.

Is it definitively linked? No. Is it worth exploring? Yes. It’s still better than tar and cancer.

Where the problem lies is something like Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis is not easily diagnosed.

So yeah... someone can Read on an Internet Forum about a person having "Tightness in their Chest", but it would be a Big Leap to then say that they likely cause is Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.

And, as you mentioned, it is Unclear just what could cause Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. Because from a Clinical Standpoint, the Vast Majority of people here are a Worst Case Scenario when it comes to a Causality.

Ex-Smokers of varying lengths Inhaling a Cornucopia of Chemicals Compounds in a wide range of Amounts/Concentrations makes it Very Difficult to even Guess what may be a contributing factor(s) to a specific illness.

Couple that with Smokers/Ex-Smokers who have not Vaped have also been Diagnosed with Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis. As well as Never Smokers. So you're kinda left with one Big Ball of Randomness.

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

No it wouldn’t. The condition is specifically linked to organic particulate which cigarette smoke is full of but vaping isn’t.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Which is exactly why I never jump to vaping causing whatever new possible condition pops up. I started smoking daily at 8yo so that's where my brain tracks if an unusual whatever health concern pops up.

Yeah... It All (to Me) gets down to are we talking about Harm Reduction or Harm Elimination on the population level.

I'm a 100% certain that Vaping has the potential to can cause Harm to a percentage of Individuals. And maybe the OP is in that percentage? But it is the Size of the Percentage that is Important.

If 9,999 People see a Significant Improvement in their Overall Health, and Significantly Reduce their Potential for Future Harm by switching from Smoking to Vaping, is that an Improvement to Public Health even if 1 person develops Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis?

Anise

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
May 11, 2016
Southern Louisiana USA
I was curious about molds also but PG/VG are resistant. It is probably not dust or air. Continual exposure to a humectant maybe? Of course, there’s always alcohol and flavorings, but I doubt we will find out.

Moral of the story: Everything has risks. I am currently managed with my meds and I do just fine. But it was a huge inconvenience for about a year. If something doesn’t feel right when you vape, take a break. If it flares up again once you start vaping again, don’t mess around with trying to alter the formula for your juice, just stop before it becomes a bigger problem.

And also, 99.8% of you won’t experience this. Carry on as usual.
If the last line had been added to the original post maybe I could have had an educated conversation but I don't waste my education on anyone who claims vaping is doing damage the links say is caused by dust. But I don't hold it against anyone. Have a nice day.

• Love

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No it wouldn’t. The condition is specifically linked to organic particulate which cigarette smoke is full of but vaping isn’t.

I thought I read that the Inhalation of Chemical Compounds have also been tied to those who developed Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis.

But perhaps that was something else?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Jebbn

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2018
safe distance from a black hole
My God...

You read stuff like all the Causes for Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis and you wonder if it is even Safe to go outside. Let alone stay in and just Veg.
OMG!!! I am fricken doomed!!!!!......!!!!!!

How am I not already dead?!?!

I need a cigarette to calm myself after reading that list.

ManiacMedic

ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah... It All (to Me) gets down to are we talking about Harm Reduction or Harm Elimination on the population level.

I'm a 100% certain that Vaping has the potential to can cause Harm to a percentage of Individuals. And maybe the OP is in that percentage? But it is the Size of the Percentage that is Important.

If 9,999 People see a Significant Improvement in their Overall Health, and Significantly Reduce their Potential for Future Harm by switching from Smoking to Vaping, is that an Improvement to Public Health even if 1 person develops Hypersensitivity Pneumonitis?

I’ve been combing over forums like this for the last 5-6 years or so, and some people are stating the same progression of symptoms.

I’m not saying everyone should suddenly stop, as I think vaping is certainly a harm reduction if done safely and correctly. What is terrible for the community are individuals like Anice, who refuse to accept any information that conflicts with her preconceived ideals. It is very clear that some people are developing brochoconstriction and small airway inflammation. Some are getting nasal and sinus inflammation. This can effect diffusion. It’s not rocket surgery.

But on forums like this, people are encouraging the continuation of use in people who are having symptoms. “Just go more VG. Try a little more PG”. It’s absolute insanity.

For those with no ill effect from vaping, by all means, continue and enjoy yourself.

But, there is a portion of us who have lasting airway inflammation from vaping. Believe it or not Anice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread