Series mech box or pwm with potentiometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
I' m about to order a box build kit never had either one a friend has a series box n after seeing him rip off that thing n trying it i want one n its way cheaper to build your own i noticed and his is homemade so to speak but he bought his off of someone who builds them i bulit my own parallel box with mosfet b4 so im gonna run same scenario just in series but alot of people are talking about PWM and I don' really know much about it seems kinda like a hexohm so to speak

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
alot of people are talking about PWM and I don' really know much about it seems kinda like a hexohm so to speak
My head is spinning trying to read a paragraph written as one sentence. Come on, dude. Use some punctuation marks. o_O

This video may help explain PWM in a mechanical mod. I never knew such a thing existed; I learned something new today.

Last edited:

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2015
Pittsburgh,PA
I'm trying figure out what PWM is like i have a little understanding of it. I know its pulse width modulation and it packs a super punch. I also kind of understand the potentionometer that i guess in sense controls the voltage in percentile form.
My biggest question is which is better or peferred i guess. If i end up doing PWM am i still able to get the same results as an unregulated series box mod. I hope that kind of clears it up.

John Jacobs

• Oct 18, 2017
    CO USA, Thailand
    PWM is simple. The power is pulsed on and off to give the effect of (to simulate) higher or lower power. How long it's on (all the way on) and how long it's off gives an average power delivered over time. It doesn't "pack a punch", that's just marketing nonsense. Buck-Boost DC power regulation actually changes the power delivered and is used in more sophisticated devices like evolv DNA boards. The downside to buck-boost is lower power efficiency (using battery power to make heat).

For a mod, it really doesn't matter. To call a PWM regulated mod mechanical is just not true. Let the buyer beware!

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh,PA
    PWM is simple. The power is pulsed on and off to give the effect of (to simulate) higher or lower power. How long it's on (all the way on) and how long it's off gives an average power delivered over time. It doesn't "pack a punch", that's just marketing nonsense. Buck-Boost DC power regulation actually changes the power delivered and is used in more sophisticated devices like evolv DNA boards. The downside to buck-boost is lower power efficiency (using battery power to make heat).

For a mod, it really doesn't matter. To call a PWM regulated mod mechanical is just not true. Let the buyer beware!
    So pretty much a pwm board and potentiometer are going to pulse the power as you vape. Are you able to notice the pulse ... or is it still a continuus source of power just pulses more or less power as needed. So with the potentiometer it doesn't really control the voltage? Idk why but for some reason i thought it was like a voltage control sort of... I know im ranting but pwm is new to me and im trying to figure it out and see if its something i would be interested in fiddling with. thanks for helping me out

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    So pretty much a pwm board and potentiometer are going to pulse the power as you vape. Are you able to notice the pulse ... or is it still a continuus source of power just pulses more or less power as needed. So with the potentiometer it doesn't really control the voltage? Idk why but for some reason i thought it was like a voltage control sort of... I know im ranting but pwm is new to me and im trying to figure it out and see if its something i would be interested in fiddling with. thanks for helping me out

It gets complicated, can you notice the pulse?, not really. The pulses are very very quick and many time a second but depending on the circuit it can create what some call a rattlesnake noise.

eta: There is lots of info on PWM in the modding forum from a few years ago, it was used a lot back then.

hambone0424

ECF Veteran
    Apr 10, 2015
    Pittsburgh,PA
    The board itself creates a noise or the circuitry makes the noise. Noise isnt really issue to me. I'm looking for something that performs like a series mech but with the option to not always run at 8 volts. Is that something thats possible with pwm? I know if I build a big enough beefy coil for the series mod it will perform beautifully. but like i said i never messed around with pwm b4 im trying to do research but im more getting tech side info rather than vape.

John Jacobs

• Oct 18, 2017
    CO USA, Thailand
    In all honesty, that PWM device looks like a lot of trouble to get something you can get easer elsewhere.

If you really want something old school, and serial, get a noisy cricket. They can be had for next to nothing. A real mech, you will NEED to learn how to build for it. Once you do, you'll be really happy with what you can get out of such a simple setup. Want a vape that's not crazy, cloud bro, stuff? You build for that!

In terms of the vape: you can get what you want, high power, and have the ability to turn it down with one of the many high power regulated devices available. 200+ watts is common. A lot of them are cheap, around a $100 or so.

Either way, spend money on super good, high drain, batteries. Do not go cheap, you'll end with fakes that are dangerous. While you're at it get a good charger, it will last for years. Mooch's blog is your friend for batteries. Search for that. I'm not going to recommend batteries when Mooch is the widely recognized authority concerning that.

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    A potentiometer (pot) is like a volume knob. It is a variable resistor. The more resistance you order with the pot, the less voltage you deliver to to your coil.
    PWM is a digital--level delivery of the power you set with the pot.
    Yes, if you have your pot set low or off, the full voltage of your series batteries will be delivered, minus circuit resistance.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 28, 2011
    Arizona
    Who's turn is it to change the straw in bads cage? :D

I'll send the Wife over after lunch. :D

800px_COLOURBOX1485752.jpg

• Winner
    Reactions: Letitia

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    "its way cheaper to build your own" -- actually from what I've seen, if you use good parts to make it, some of the recent regulated mods are cheaper. And that's before the hospital bills. Most of them can put out higher voltages, although check before you buy.

PWM isn't actually regulated in the arrangement of a modified MOSFET box, you can dial in say 70% of what the straight mech would do, but it still decreases as the batteries go down. There's also no protection except the MOSFETs might act like a fuse.

• Agree

Outcast

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 28, 2013
    Vermont
    "its way cheaper to build your own" -- actually from what I've seen, if you use good parts to make it, some of the recent regulated mods are cheaper. And that's before the hospital bills. Most of them can put out higher voltages, although check before you buy.

PWM isn't actually regulated in the arrangement of a modified MOSFET box, you can dial in say 70% of what the straight mech would do, but it still decreases as the batteries go down. There's also no protection except the MOSFETs might act like a fuse.

Shod shod point out pwm u still build to the amps as if it was unreg seeing it will still call for the full use of ur cell just kinda speed fires to change the heat of ur coil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread