Not open for further replies.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
I'm honestly in it for the flavor and the throat hit; I could honestly have been perfectly happy with the Ego C-twists and the Kanger PT2's that I started vaping with.

But vaping, for me as with others, has blossomed into a full blown hobby.

I get a kick out of tinkering with coil and wick combinations. I have every gauge of Kanthal from 26 to 34, and ribbon Kanthal from .4 to .9mm. I have organic cotton balls, cotton thread, Ekowool, silica wick, and XC116. I also have steel mesh and steel cable.

I like to play around just to see what things do.

I wouldn't call myself a cloud chaser, out and about I'm pretty happy with a good topper. But at home, that's when I let my hair down (so to speak) and creep into my vape lair for a little experimenting time.

It keeps me happy, and it keeps me vaping.

A bird does not sing because it has an answer. It sings because it has a song.

^^ this, in spades.

Top fuel drag racing seems to be an insanely idiotic waste of time and resources, yet some people seem to thoroughly enjoy it. ;)

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
This^^^^

I think because of the gear and the nature of vaping, a lot of people take it further as a hobby and part of their smoking cessation.

I too was looking for an exact replica of a cigarette hit. It was my "Unicorn." I was never really interested in the hobby or cloud chasing at all. Vaping was nice, and I had given up smoking, but it still just wasn't as good as real smoking.

With cartomizers, clearmizers, and RBA tanks it seems to be a bit weak with the short draws emulating a real cigarette. You have to take long multiple puffs way exceeding the way you would of smoked tobacco. If you try to strictly vape these toppers like you would of smoked a cigarette, it's just not there.

I found that sub-ohm vaping on a properly set-up RDA can be dead-on with emulating a real cigarette hit. A nice quick 2-3 second mouth to lung puff that produces thick, warm vapor and lung feel. No primer puffs, no cloud chasing at all.

Sure, you could open up the airflow and chuck it for a good 10 sec and exhale a fog machine.. but set up right it produces an exacting replica of an actual real cigarette hit. Just like you remember: you put it to your lips mid conversation, drag for 2-3 sec, and there it is, that old familiar mouth and lung feel of smoke.. only it's not smoke!

i just explained this another way in another thread a couple days ago.

the difference, though. to get the same experience, you do exhale more vapor than you would do smoke from a cigarette. not cloud chasing, mind you.

Bigflyrodder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2014
Boston, MA
I've asked myself the same question many times, not sure what drives the need to see big clouds but perhaps it has something to do with the fact that it is one of the measurements everyone seems to use when reviewing gear. Taste, throat hit, vapor production. I'd like to think that something gave me amazing flavor with a spot on throat hit I wouldn't care about the amount of vaport but have to admit that isn't true anymore. There is just something really satisfying about blowing a big cloud after a pull that gives great flavor and throat hit for me.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
I've been vaping for 4 years now..never moved off of 24mg juice...
I just bought a cheap RDA the other day at my local B&M and they couldn't tell me the ohms of the coil it came set up with (come to find out later that it was at 0.8), so I used it right there....and I got that same old nic buzz like you'd get from hotboxing an analog after not having one in a while...so I ended up lowering the nic level of my juice .
My point anyway is that I believe that with certain builds....more efficient vaporization can be achieved...which allows for lower nic levels ..

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
It's like the very essence of our culture , bigger, better, more, more, more .

I don't really think that's it.

I totally understand the "American" pursuit of bigger and better, constantly growing our belt lines. However, the vape phenom isn't limited to Americans only, and you have modders and extreme hobbyists that focus on vaping, or other hobbies, all over the globe.

No, it is a separate issue.

It is about evolution. Curiosity. Pushing things to their boundaries. There is something inside of Man, that desires to grow, that is ever curious, and that wishes to take things further than they currently are.....not to achieve (not always), but often times simply for the sake of doing it!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
And while this all sounds cool (at least I think it does), it doesn't at all represent how I smoked analogs. The only analogy to modding in the analog world that I can think of would be a 20-second, lung-buster tobacco hit on one of those water pipe contraption thingies. And, well, I never smoked tobacco that way, and I never met anyone who did.

So, flavor is cool...heck yea, I'm all for that. But is insane vapor volume really that big of a need? (And yes, I realize more vapor is the means by which more flavor is achieved...I get that.) But shouldn't the 'ideal' be closer to something like a 'normal' 3-4 second pull producing great flavor, a good throat hit, and a reasonable amount of vapor (whatever that is)? Maybe most importantly, shouldn't the goal be 'less is more' where a great vape can be achieved without draining 1ml of juice on a single pull?

Why do you want vaping to emulate smoking?

Your 'normal' or mine?

Is what you want from vaping the only correct way to vape? What makes your way correct and all the others wrong?

I realize you did not actually say that any other way of vaping was 'wrong', but IMO you are implying that. I'm not being snarky, I'm serious. I don't understand why you want to establish norms for the way other people vape.

Doghead

ECF Veteran
Sep 30, 2013
Usa
I don't think it's just the size of the cloud but also the density of the vapor that gets more satisfying, sort of like a mouthful of smoke. Someone mentioned smoking a hookah, and I totally see that comparison. I smoked cigarettes and hookah, and I think I immediately related vaping more to thehookah than a cigarette.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread