billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
As far as I know, all VV regulators, whether buck (step-down) or boost, use a similar method of voltage adjustment: a variable resistor, called a potentiometer. This may be implemented mechanically by a rotating circular dial that is turned by fingers (as in Ken’s VV boxes), thumb (as in the Buzz Pro and Infinity Pro), jeweler’s screwdriver (as in madvapes VV boxes, original Buzz, etc.), or implemented electrically by pushing buttons (as in the ProVari, Darwin, and LavaTube) for a precise and discrete incremental increase/decrease in voltage.

The advantage of an electrical pot with a built-in voltage display is precision. You get the same increase or decrease with every button push. The disadvantage of this method is that it may require many button pushes to get the voltage where you want it. For some vapers, this is fine. For others, it can be a major pain in the you-know-what. Some folks don’t like having to push an electrical button switch 20 times to move the voltage up or down by 2 volts.

Different but equally obvious problems plague mechanical pots with rotating dials. One problem is the lack of precise certainty. Many of these variable resistors are wildly non-linear. This means that if the dial has a total turn arc (from lowest voltage to highest) of 180°, or half a turn of the dial, the increments of voltage adjustment within that arc are not even. If the lowest setting is 3.3V and the highest 6.5V (this varies depending on the regulator chip used), then the voltage change over the entire arc of dial turning is 3.2V. So, 3.2V over 180° of turn should mean that 30% turn of the dial alters the voltage by about .5V. Unfortunately, that is often not the case.

In some VV mods that use dials, turning the dial from lowest to middle adds only a single volt, but then the next 30° of turn shoots the voltage up by two more volts. If the sweet spot you want is in that very compressed area, hitting the target voltage can be very difficult.

First off, extreme non-linearity of the dial’s adjustment range means that you really can’t get to your desired voltage “by feel” or “by eye.” No, you’ll need to hook up a voltage display at the atty connection, by using either a standard VOM with leads (which is dreadfully awkward and can even short out the connector) or an LED digital voltage display (which must be screwed onto the connector, but won’t work at all with pulsed regulators).

Even with the addition of an external voltage display, sometimes the throw on that compressed section of the dial is so small that a tiny increment of turn causes overshoot of the desired voltage, meaning that it takes multiple adjustments of the dial back and forth to actually hit the voltage you want.

Let’s say you want a setting of 4.6V unloaded. With a non-linear dial, you may sit there with your jeweler’s screwdriver and external voltage display and miss your target again and again. You start at 4.2V and turn the screwdriver a tiny bit, but the voltage jumps to 5.1V. You then turn the screwdriver ever-so-slightly back in the opposite direction, but the voltage collapses down to 3.9V. Just as some people don’t like pushing a switch 20 times to reach their desired voltage, non-linear dials force us to micro-adjust with the screwdriver or fingers that same 20 times back and forth. This is barbaric, not to mention frustrating.

With my Madvapes VV boxes, I’ve gotten pretty fast with the whole process. I can usually set the voltage exactly where I want it within about 30 seconds from beginning to end: screw on the LED display, set the voltage with the screwdriver, unscrew the LED, screw on the atty/carto/tank, and vape. Half a minute for the whole procedure, but I would still like it to be quicker and easier.

How easy and accurate is the Buzz Pro? The thumb-adusted dial (called the "hit control" by NotCigs), with its green, yellow, and red paint marks, is the most linear, stable, and predictable dial I’ve used. First of all, the wheel turns very smoothly, with the perfect resistance to being rotated (so that it won't change settings on its own or by your hand brushing against the dial). That's terrific.

With the yellow mark lined up with the white reference mark in the center of the "window," my Buzz Pro is always at 4.4V unloaded. Same with the others markers---red is always 5.2V, while green is always 3.4V. Halfway between green and yellow is always 3.8V, meaning perfectly linear, which is good news.

The bad news, however, is that the least linear section of the wheel is just after the yellow mark. To be correctly linear, the halfway point between the yellow and red paint marks should read 4.8V. Unfortunately, this is where my particular Buzz falls far short. A tiny movement of the dial past yellow moves up the voltage to 5V way too quickly (at only a quarter of the arc between the yellow and red paint marks, so that hitting increments of voltage accurately between 4.5 and 5.0V (which is right in the area of my sweet spots) is quite difficult, and nearly impossible to achieve by “eye-balling” the dial.

If the dial were truly linear all through its rotation arc, I’d give the Buzz Pro a perfect score and A rating as a brilliant VV. As it is, with the non-linear distortion from 4.4V to 5V, I have to knock down the grade to a B. It is, however, my current favorite VV (and I own 13 of them).

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
  • Deleted by classwife

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
Thanks, Mike!

I didn't even know about the non-linear bump in my particular Buzz Pro unit between 4.5V and 5.1V until just before writing the post. After detailed checking with a voltmeter, I was a little surprised, because the rest of the wheel's adjustment arc is so beautifully linear.

Looks like I'll get to try out another unit, however, because mine has a potentially dangerous defect that will require return and exchange. At least once each day of the week I've had my BP, I'll take a drag, then release the firing button, but the BP continues to fire. Pressing the firing button again---even repeatedly---does nothing to stop the firing. Even powering down with a quarter-turn of the bottom cap doesn't work; once powered back on, the firing continues, with the blue LED lit and the carto cracking and popping. The only fix I've found is to completely remove the bottom cap (after which I take out the batteries to make sure they're not getting hot). When I reinstall the batteries and bottom cap, everything's fine again, with the red "power on" LED restored. Until the next time... When it happened on Day One, my first thought was, "Well crap, now I have to send it back." But I resisted, hoping that the problem would vanish with use. Unfortunately, it hasn't, so back it goes.

I've been using 16340 Trustfire flame 880mAh 3.7V batteries, which I already owned for other mods. The firing malfunction has occurred with all four sets I rotate, so I'm certain that it's not the batteries causing the problem, but rather the Buzz Pro's power circuitry.

Sending back my Buzz Pro and waiting for a new unit will be frustrating, for it has quickly become my favorite VV mod (I own 13 VVs). But at least it gives me another crack at getting a hit control pot with more uniform linearity throughout the whole range. Heck, I wouldn't even care about non-linear compression of the adjusting wheel's arc below 4.4V or above 5V, but having it occur right in the sweet spot from 4.5-5.1V was a little upsetting.

I love the idea of being able to set the voltage visually, without any necessity for a digital voltage display. I know that some people don't care what the voltage is and like the "dial-it-up and dial-it-down" method according to flavor, heat, and throat hit, without regard to numbers, but I'm enough of a geek that I do appreciate knowing the voltage within a tenth or two of a volt.

Last edited:

BuzzKill

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2009
Central Coast Ca.
www.notcigs.com
  • Deleted by classwife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread