Shimakyu's Glycerin

Status
Not open for further replies.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Does anyone know this brand? Is this safe for vaping? It's here again, the hang ups of trying out new sellers and brands. I thought I'd buy this and try it out. 683 sold online, and it's an online vape shop. So it's 683 sold to vapers? But no VG label anywhere the bottle. And I know glycerin is either from petroleum or plants. I'm not using this unless any of you knows this brand, or says it's safe. Thanks! Cheers!
20190308_044843.jpg

Reactions: stols001

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
glycerin is either from petroleum or plants
It can be made from animal, vegetable, or mineral sources. And just because it's from a plant (vegetable) source doesn't mean it's good. E.g.: There's a metric boatload of glycerol produced as a byproduct of bio-diesel production, which you most certainly do not want. There used to be a very detailed article about this here somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it at the moment.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It can be made from animal, vegetable, or mineral sources. And just because it's from a plant (vegetable) source doesn't mean it's good. E.g.: There's a metric boatload of glycerol produced as a byproduct of bio-diesel production, which you most certainly do not want. There used to be a very detailed article about this here somewhere, but I'll be darned if I can find it at the moment.
Very well if you insist

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Does anyone know this brand? Is this safe for vaping? It's here again, the hang ups of trying out new sellers and brands. I thought I'd buy this and try it out. 683 sold online, and it's an online vape shop. So it's 683 sold to vapers? But no VG label anywhere the bottle. And I know glycerin is either from petroleum or plants. I'm not using this unless any of you knows this brand, or says it's safe. Thanks! Cheers!
From what I can surmise, Shimakyu's Glycerin (Shimakyu's Pure. Chemicals, Osaka, Japan) may be a product from OSAKA ORGANIC CHEMICAL INDUSTRY LTD..
re: Osaka Organic Chemical Industry Ltd. : The leading company in acrylic acid esters
Your best bet is to call the contacts on the site above.

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
From what I can surmise, Shimakyu's Glycerin (Shimakyu's Pure. Chemicals, Osaka, Japan) may be a product from OSAKA ORGANIC CHEMICAL INDUSTRY LTD..
re: Osaka Organic Chemical Industry Ltd. : The leading company in acrylic acid esters
Your best bet is to call the contacts on the site above.

Thank you man! I don't think I need to contact those guys for 2 bottles of Glycerin, worth about US$10.

It's either I decide to use it or not. The chat box on the seller site have tons of people using this for vape, and there was a guy who asked if it is food grade. Seller says yes. I dunno. I guess I'll use it?

你好 是食用級的嗎?
答覆:
是的 是食用級的唷^^

google translate:
Hello, is it food grade?
reply:
Yes, food grade oh^^

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Thank you man! I don't think I need to contact those guys for 2 bottles of Glycerin, worth about US$10.

It's either I decide to use it or not. The chat box on the seller site have tons of people using this for vape, and there was a guy who asked if it is food grade. Seller says yes. I dunno. I guess I'll use it?

你好 是食用級的嗎?
答覆:
是的 是食用級的唷^^

google translate:
Hello, is it food grade?
reply:
Yes, food grade oh^^
Given that it's Japanese (which wasn't immediately obvious to me), I'd use it. Japanese companies tend to be pretty honest in their labeling, and "Extra Pure Reagent" grade is likely to be a higher standard than "USP".

Reactions: F-machine

F-machine

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2018
Trapped in Asia
Given that it's Japanese (which wasn't immediately obvious to me), I'd use it. Japanese companies tend to be pretty honest in their labeling, and "Extra Pure Reagent" grade is likely to be a higher standard than "USP".

You are indeed correct! 'Reagent' is higher than 'USP'.. Thanks man! I feel safer now. I'm already planning to pour it down the drain later when I get home. And I also already ordered another liter of VG from another, more expensive seller. 'Sigh.. ^^

I guess we all learn something everyday! Here's the google search result for chemical grades and meanings.

https://www.sciencecompany.com/Learn-Chemical-Grade-Definitions-from-Highest-to-Lowest-Purity..aspx

Cheers all!
:toast:
/thread

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I'm already planning to pour it down the drain later when I get home.
Why?

And I also already ordered another liter of VG from another, more expensive seller. 'Sigh..
No worries. Rated "shelf life" should be at least a year or two, and if you don't go through at least a liter a year, you're probably not trying very hard. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread