Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I'll answer with more questions:

• What features are your highest priority?
  • Why would you chose a mech over a regulated mod? Mechs are fixed voltage; you can adjust your vape "on the fly" with a regulated mod.
  • You want something more compact and pocket-friendly, or it doesn't matter the size?
  • Form factor: Box or tube shaped?
  • Long battery life (dual battery mod), or you don't mind carrying a spare battery with a single battery mod?
  • Non-removeable internal battery mod, or removeable external battery mod?

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper.

Last edited:

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
Looking for a new mod thinking regulated or a mech or unregulated mod/ squonker
suggestions anyone.

I'm thinking of a smoant mod heatd their good

Here you go, does all of the above.......
Without more criteria, best I can do.
20180210_141606-copy-510x652.jpg

Boxer Mod Classic DNA250c Dual 20700 BF Squonk

Jeezus187

Oct 11, 2017
Los angeles california
hat dna mod is right out of my price range and it's kind of ugly for my taste I have the paranormal 166 and then they come out with a 250c ...damn I should of waited
..im more in 80 dollar range ...wamt something high wattage looks good or a dual battery mech mod or even dual battery tube .....i would get the charon but it looks just like the paranormal .....never had anything other than smok mods or maybe ill look into the voopoo drag

Reactions: stols001

Jeezus187

Oct 11, 2017
Los angeles california
I'll answer with more questions:

• What features are your highest priority?
  • Why would you chose a mech over a regulated mod? Mechs are fixed voltage; you can adjust your vape "on the fly" with a regulated mod.
  • You want something more compact and pocket-friendly, or it doesn't matter the size?
  • Form factor: Box or tube shaped?
  • Long battery life (dual battery mod), or you don't mind carrying a spare battery with a single battery mod?
  • Non-removeable internal battery mod, or removeable external battery mod?

Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder
  • From cigalike batteries, to eGo's, to mods. Another picture dictionary of terminology and form factors for beginning vapers. Includes videos.
Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper
  • Typical starter setups recommended for a new vaper.
I read your intro to mech and God d@mn its long ima take my time and read it over and over till in ready to try a mech mod/tubewhats better for dual mech in series or in parralell ?? I seen the noisy cricket does all ..but it's ugly to small for my taste

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
... whats better for dual mech, in series or in parralell ?
That depends upon how you are going to use it to vape and what your expectations for it is.

Do you understand what the definitions for voltage, amp rating, capacity (mAh), and voltage drop mean? Do you know how to use an ohm's law calculator?

In theory, a series dual mech will give you twice the voltage, but the amps and mAh will be the same as a single battery mech. In theory, a parallel dual mech the voltage will be the same as a single battery mech, but the amps and mah will double.

BUT, theory often doesn't translate well in real world situations. Theory explains things in a perfect world context. Theory doesn't take into account for real world things like voltage drop from the mod or atomizer connection. In a real world situation, the voltage drop in a parallel circuit results in only a 1.5 X amp increase, not 2 X.

As you can see, this series vs parallel circuit comparison can become a rather complicated thing to understand and apply. Some vapers may say one or the other circuit is "safer" or "better", but you better have a firm understanding of ohm's law and battery specifications before you even think about buying one or the other (series or parallel) mechanical mod, or you can get into trouble pretty fast.

So, when choosing between a series or parallel dual battery mech, what are your expectations? To increase your voltage output (series), or to increase your amps and capacity (parallel)?

Therefore, I'm not about to say whether one is better than the other. It all boils down to how you are going to use it and what your expectations are.

FOR SAFETY'S SAKE: KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN UNREGULATED SERIES AND PARALLEL TWO-BATTERY BOX MODS

Last edited:

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
whats better for dual mech in series or in parralell ??
They both allow you to achieve higher watts, but they way they go about it is different. Let's explore this with an example:

First, we have a single-battery mech mod. Let's use some nice round numbers and say it's charged to 4.0v, with an atomizer resistance of .5 ohms. The amp drain on the battery is "volts / ohms" so, 4 / .5 = 8 amps. This will be our "target." At these values, the setup is producing 32 watts of power (amps * volts -- 8*4, or volts * volts / ohms -- 4 * 4 / .5). With two batteries, we should be able to achieve twice that wattage, at the same amp draw. Let's find out how.

In a parallel mech, the voltages are averaged. Since the two cells should always be at the same voltage as each other, this is a really easy calculation. We already defined that we're talking about 4v cells. So, what's the "average" of two 4-volt cells? 4, plus 4, divided by 2, equals 4. So we're still looking at 4 volts. In parallel, the amp load is "shared" between all cells (all both of them, in this case.) So if each one can handle 8 amps (it can maybe handle more, but remember 8 amps is our "target") then as a pair, they can handle 16. With a "ceiling" of 16 amps, that means you can use resistances down to 0.25 ohms (4 / 0.25 = 16) meaning you can use half the resistance you could with a single cell. At these values, the setup is producing 16*4 or 4*4/0.25 = 64 watts of power. Twice the power of the single-cell mod, but at the same amp draw per cell.

In a series mech, the voltages are summed, and the full amp load is "felt" by each battery. So with 2x 4-volt cells, we're looking at 4 + 4 = 8 volts now. With 8 volts, and a target of 8 amps, we can now only put a 1-ohm or higher atomizer on this device (8 / 1 = 8). That's twice the lowest safe resistance of the single-cell. But, what happens when we calculate power? By doing the calculations for volts*amps (8*8) or volts*volts/ohms (8*8/1) we can see that the power output is still 64 watts with this setup, even though you now have a 1-ohm coil. Again, it's twice as much power (wattage) as the single cell, but at the same 8A draw.

----------

TL;DR: Parallel allows you to build lower ohms, series requires you to build higher ohms. Both can achieve higher wattage than a single cell.

• Useful
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
The noisy cricket has some protections but make no mistake, it is a powerful device and you need to understand how to use it. Honestly sometimes starting with a single battery mech and being willing to BUILD to the correct specs, and not overpower your battery. In some ways, it's the best way to get going IF you are willing to not exceed your battery's specs, that might be a way to go. IDK if you are actually ready for a mech, and if you've only used Smok, well you can do far better with a regulated mod. and Smoant does make some great stuff. I have a cylon and I love it.

It sort of sounds to me like you aren't quite sure exactly what it is you desire, at this point. :)

Good luck making a decision.

Anna

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The noisy cricket has some protections but make no mistake,
The NC-II has protections. The original NC was just a bare mech mod. With a pinless (fauxbrid / "hybrid-style") cap. Not a good idea for a beginner. (Not that you were recommending it as such, I'm just pointing out that the original one is even more "for advanced users" than the version II.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread