Shortness of breath

Status
Not open for further replies.

dionysuskiss

Cloud Dancer
ECF Veteran
Nov 28, 2014
Dallas,Texas
It really would help if you knew what vg/pg blend you are using. As others have mentioned, higher vg can feel way too thick, especially to a new vaper. Also, do you have asthma? Or have asthmatic tendencies?(asthmatic bronchitis when you're sick) That would also be triggered by high vg. As a former dual user, I did notice when switching from smoking to vaping, my lungs felt a bit heavier, as well. What worked for me was vaping most of the time, allowing only the hard to give up cigs(first one in the morning, etc.) and working to eliminate those as well.

Or, since vapor is thicker than smoke, you could simply just not be used to it yet.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
My thinking is based on the idea that the success rate for new vapers is maybe 30-35% at best, based on the few numbers I've run across. So I think that keeping to a nic reduction goal is counterproductive *IF* the end result is a relapse and Fail.

And I don't think most people know up front if they will succeed or fail their primary objective of quitting smoking. So the way I see it, job #1 is to get well quit of cigs. Job #2, only down the road can be taming the vaping habit and dealing with the nic.

James (the op) is on his first or second day of vaping. I doubt he KNOWS (as you suggest you did) if he will succeed or Fail. I know I was never sure until I was a couple months totally smoke free. And at that point I was about 4 months into vaping since I was dual using for the first 7 weeks.

Totally agree with this -- it's ridiculous to think of cutting down on nicotine before you even know what level will suit you. E-cigs are not patches; there is no arbitrary "rule" that says you have to quit vaping, or lower your nicotine, or anything else. Vape the level that feels right to you, until/unless it doesn't feel right anymore -- which does seem to happen quite naturally, but everyone has their own time-frame for how quickly it happens. I had to start at *6mg* because anything stronger made me feel very sick; got up to 10mg, now at 9mg, and it works just fine, because I don't chainvape constantly.

I'm another who can't vape much VG; I vape 86%PG/14%VG, because any more VG than that makes me completely unable to breathe. If you're short of breath, that sounds a great deal more like a problem with VG than with PG; PG makes it feel harsh and burning, and even burn your throat red, if the problem was with the PG.

And absolutely, you don't need to inhale vapor very deeply at all; vaporized nicotine absorbs *much* better in the mucosa of mouth/throat/sinuses-nasal passages; it's hard to break the inhalation habit, but it's really not necessary, and in fact inhaling too deeply and too rapidly is very counter-productive, since it doesn't give the mucosa time to absorb much nicotine. Until I learned to take a very soft, slow hit, hold it in my mouth and throat a bit before inhaling, and then exhale thru my nose as much as my mouth, I was still dependent on the morning smoke; once I got the technique to vaping, that morning smoke was history.

Andria

Chip H.

Verified Member
Sep 9, 2015
I am asthmatic, likely triggered by my mother smoking heavily around me from birth until around the first grade (she quit right around the time I was diagnosed, probably not coincidence), so very cautious regarding vaping. My lungs are damaged enough from a lifetime of asthma and the cancer sticks I used for years in spite of every reason not to.

My advice to the OP is to experiment with the variables and determine what is causing it, because vaping should not be causing shortness of breath unless there is something about their particular set up and juice that their body reacts badly to.

PG higher than 50% is irritating to my mucous membranes so use higher VG and have no reaction to that. However, have found certain flavors that do trigger a mild (thankfully) asthmatic reaction, and as those are found the juice goes down the drain and I make a note to avoid that flavor in the future. Soon moving to primarily DIY so I can more precisely control what goes in my lungs.

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2012
Ohio
I found that higher VG levels cause shortness of breath and/or chest heaviness for me as well as sub ohm vaping, hotter temps and higher vapor volumes, also sometimes when people first start vaping they have a tendency to vape way more than they ever smoked so it could be that you are just overdoing it. Personally I think it is great you have a plan and goal in mind when it comes to your smoking and vaping, taking and being in charge of your life, body and personal habits is a very positive thing! Honestly I never planned to trade one habit for another, smoking for vaping, on a permanent basis either but I am not beating myself self up over taking my time about it either ;)

Maybe play around with your PG/VG ratios a bit, change up flavors because that one might not agree with you and be more conscious on how often you are vaping but if it keeps up you might want to consult with your doctor because it's possible your shortness of breath could be unrelated to vaping altogether.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread