Should I switch batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2017
Hello all,

My last post on here a lot of you helped me to understand a little bit about battery safety and answered any general questions I had, which helped a lot so it's greatly appreciated.

I originally purchased the smok al-85 with an lg hg2 battery, but have recently switched to the original alien because I couldn't deal with the constant recharging of the batteries all day And I did buy two new batteries not just one ;)

I've also purchased a crown 3 tank after hearing great things and was also really intrigued by the push/pull coil system.

The coils on these are rated much higher in terms of wattage than anything I was using prior, and with that I've done some research and discovered that if I'm vaping around 85-90 watts with this that I should go with a 25a battery.

The only thing that I'm confused on is that I never see the amp reading on the actual alien mod go above or reach 20, especially when I'm using the .5 ohm coil. Is that not giving me an accurate reading, or is there something just different with these coils because I've noticed for generally being around the same resistance as the previous smok ones I was using, they do have a much higher preferred wattage.

I also found this cool little calculator online, and after plugging in two variables as it requests (punched in .5 ohms and 90 for wattage) it does show an amperage reading of 13.41... The calculator was on misthub and called the vape safety calculator if anyone is interested or familiar, just not sure if I'm aloud to post links here.

So as you can tell I'm very confused and right when I think I have a basic understanding I lose it haha. If I should just switch batteries to be on the safe side then just let me know, but if there's some kind of explanation as to why I'm not seeing the amps reach the hg2's limits like people are saying I should at these power levels let me know!

Thanks in advance

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Battery stuff can be confusing. Even with a 2 battery mod at 90 watts, that seems really high (to me) even if you use the best and highest output batteries you can find, you will be burning through batteries, my friend. I don't use the alien, so I can't really speculate why it's doing that.... The new coils certainly MAY have something to do with it. But, I'd try vaping at a lower wattage regardless, if you're able to make the coils work any better that way.... Just because you CAN do something it doesn't mean you have to. A lot of folks routinely vape their (even sub-ohm) coils at much lower wattage than the coil is "rated" for... I just wonder because you are going to burn through a lot of batteries, coils, and vape at that wattage, so unless that's the ONLY way things work for you as far as vape satisfaction, I'd be doing some investigating.... I'm sure others will be along to help.

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
The Alien with 2 20A batteries is good to ~120W. You can go a little higher, but me, I err on the side of better too much of a buffer than too little. Regulated mods are not calculated the same as mechs, and Ohms law is not a great way of figuring out your battery drain as there's a DC->DC converter between the battery and the tank (that's what a regulated mod is).

As for the whole amp thing on the screen, just ignore it. It should represent what's going from the board to the coil, but I find it more confusing than not and treat it like the puff counter, something I just plain don't look at.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

The only thing that I'm confused on is that I never see the amp reading on the actual alien mod go above or reach 20, especially when I'm using the .5 ohm coil. Is that not giving me an accurate reading, or is there something just different with these coils because I've noticed for generally being around the same resistance as the previous smok ones I was using, they do have a much higher preferred wattage.

For a Regulated Mod, the Ohms of whatever Atomizer you are using Doesn't Effect the Amp Draw on your Battery(s). It's the Wattage the Mod is set at and the Voltage that the Battery(s) have that does.

The Maximum Amp Draw on your Battery(s) for a Regulated Mod occurs at the Maximum Wattage the Mod can be set at and the Lowest Voltage the Batter(s) can have before the Mod Stops Working (usually around 3.2 ~ 3.6 Volts)

So you can put a 0.5 or a 2.5 Ohm Coil on a Regulated Mod and the Amp Draw on the Battery(s) will be the Same. It's when you Change the Watts (and as the Battery Voltage drains) that there will be a Amp Draw change on the Battery(s).

Mooch probably does a Much Better and Detailed explanation of all of this in his Blog. Highly Recommended Reading...

Calculating battery current draw for a regulated mod | E-Cigarette Forum

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
The only thing that I'm confused on is that I never see the amp reading on the actual alien mod go above or reach 20
Amp reading on the screen is output amps, from the mod to the coil. It's essentially a useless piece of information, and I'm not really sure why they even include it there. It would be much more helpful to know the input amps from the battery to the mod, but those are, unfortunately, not shown anywhere. For that, you need to calculate it yourself; divide your wattage setting by the battery voltage (you'll probably need a voltmeter or stand-alone charger to read the voltage as most mods don't display it as a numerical value, just the battery bar indicator) and then add 10% for the device to actually power itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread