Should This Be A Concern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
I was reading this...

www. greenmedinfo .com/blog/electronic-cigarettes-contain-higher-levels-toxic-metal-nanopartices-tobacco

and if I am understanding it correctly, it is saying that even though e-cigs have less heavy metals than tobacco cigs, the particulates are so small that they can be worse than tobacco cigs.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Where does the heavy metals come from?

The coil?
solder joint?
what?

Last edited by a moderator:

Scootaloo

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
That's why I don't by crappy cartomizers. 100% VG on my Kayfun 3.1. just the coil, no solder joints, no internal parts like the cartomizers have....no thanks!

Whilst were on the topic: on a trip to my sisters a while back who lives a while away from where I live, my old PVs tank packed up and I bought myself a cheap cig-a-like disposable, and it tasted worse than I remember and slightly burnt. When I got it home I took it apart and the heating element was actually burning through the soaked cotton stuff, so I agree with you there.

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
If you are worried about toxic metals in your Ecig... dont drive on the Interstate... exhaust fumes have dozens of metals in them... even more toxic than an Ecig....
Aluminum, Iron, Cadnium, Chromium, copper, nickel just to name a few that are more predominate.

and Im willing to bet 1/2 hour of welding would give you more metal "fumes" than a life time of Ecigs

Last edited:

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
It's from Pru Talbot! And we all know what a voice of reason she is regarding e-cigs... :laugh: She can find one ant hill of one defect in a single sample of one product and turn it into a mountain of "death for all children!!!"

Seriously, reading second hand news from second hand blogs - do you take anything on that level seriously? And do note that all that hysteria is based on a product - from a company that is no longer in business.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
http://tobaccoanalysis.blogspot.com/2014/03/uc-researcher-vaping-may-be-more.html is yet another view of that "study."

Beware of any analysis that begins with the phrase "E-cigs contain ..." - it's almost certainly written by someone who has absolutely no idea of what they're talking about, and a questionable agenda to boot. Would you trust a sentence on a cooking blog that begins with the phrase "Salads contain ..." ? (E-liquid is another matter, everyone agrees that it nearly always has VG and typically some PG, flavoring and maybe nicotine).

The fact that this blog contains the old '09 FDA "diethelyne glycol" canard is even more telling. Even the FDA no longer stands behind that discredited piece of junk would-be "science."

Incidently the author of that blog, Sayer Ji, appears to have essentially no legit. credentials (based on his own self-attributions), and my own 30 seconds of googling lead me to suspect that he's almost certainly a quack. I would't trust anything that I read on that site w/o triple-checking it via credible sources.

Based on your avatar, it appears that you have a sensible setup, so I wouldn't worry.

bcalvanese

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Pennsylvania
Thanks for all the replies.

It never hurts to be concerned about these types of things. There are so many people making stuff with no regulation, and I feel we should all be concerned about stuff.

I have been using Boge cartomizers most of the time and now I am concerned about the solder not to mention other factors that could be involved.

I am now using my Kayfun Lite Plus and building my own coils. I only use certain liquids as well. Ones that are made with approved ingridients.

I know this may not sit well with some people, but I cant wait until the FDA starts making manufacturers comply withy certain standards when making all these devices. That will insure they are as safe as they can be, even if it costs a little more.

Jan 19, 2014
Moved On
Thanks for all the replies.

I know this may not sit well with some people, but I cant wait until the FDA starts making manufacturers comply withy certain standards when making all these devices. That will insure they are as safe as they can be, even if it costs a little more.

That's what I thought too, until I realized that FDA regulation will probably look a great deal like the EU's Tobacco Products Directive. The purpose will be to move forward with rules that are as close to an outright ban as can be obtained.

Are you ready to say "goodbye" to flavored e-liquid, interstate sales of both e-liquid and vaping hardware, and of course high-concentration liquid nic. (no DIY).

Unless you're prepared to build your own equipment and vape %0, anything the FDA does is going to be much worse than what we have right now. (And of course if you're willing to do those two things, you won't care what they do.)

The "war on vaping" has come to a fever pitch in the last month or two - and many of us suspect that the junk studies and bad press are being churned out like never before, in order to justify Draconian FDA regulations.

The vast majority of vapers would support sensible regulation. But no one who understands the current regulatory climate anticipates anything other than regulations which are specifically designed to effectively ban vaping as we know it today.

Incidently: once they require that all sales are F2F, the next step will be to start shutting down local vape shops via licensing/zoning requirements, on the grounds that they're a danger to minors.

You'll still be able to buy "cigAlikes" like the VUSE or the Blus for a while. But eventually vaping will be available by prescription only. So vapers will pay through the nose for something that looks an awful like a nic. inhaler. Your nicotine intake will be electronically monitored, and you'll have to visit your Dr. for new prescriptions.

The final nail in the coffin will come perhaps 5-10 years from now, when the gov't shuts down all the "vape builder clubs" that will spring up all over the place - on the grounds that they're helping people build illegal "nicotine paraphernalia" systems. This has been done before with a certain green leafy substance. Just 20 years ago, it was illegal to possess a certain device for smoking via water filtration (I can't say the word here, but it has four letters and begins with 'b' and ends with 'g'). Didn't matter whether it had actually been used - it was still considered drug paraphernalia.

That will mark the end of 0% vaping, and render whatever's in your freezer effectively useless (well, at least if you get caught with it, because liquid nic. will become a "Schedule II controlled substance," just as certain other hard drugs or m0rphine is right now).

Still like the idea of reguation? :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread