Status
Not open for further replies.

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
I'm a big fan of purple and aqua green... So I put this together.

purpleandaquaPV_zpsd9867875.jpg

Only problem is, this is my first time using a carto tank and I think I screwed up. For one thing, because the tank glass is decorated with the aqua swirl, I really can't see what the heck is going on in there.

I got it filled up about halfway alright, and then I popped the carto back up and put in the drip tip (following a YouTube video instruction), and started giving it little sucks to fill the carto. They felt super airy though and it didn't seem like anything was disappearing into the carto. So I watched another video that said you could drip into the carto once the tank was full. Did that and took a few hits - seemed fine. Then suddenly got a horrible dry hit. :( I sometimes wish I had a vaping expert here with me for all those times I am trying something new.

It's pretty though. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice. (Caddyshack reference) Sigh.

charmschool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
North Georgia
I'm a big fan of purple and aqua green... So I put this together.

purpleandaquaPV_zpsd9867875.jpg

Only problem is, this is my first time using a carto tank and I think I screwed up. For one thing, because the tank glass is decorated with the aqua swirl, I really can't see what the heck is going on in there.

I got it filled up about halfway alright, and then I popped the carto back up and put in the drip tip (following a YouTube video instruction), and started giving it little sucks to fill the carto. They felt super airy though and it didn't seem like anything was disappearing into the carto. So I watched another video that said you could drip into the carto once the tank was full. Did that and took a few hits - seemed fine. Then suddenly got a horrible dry hit. :( I sometimes wish I had a vaping expert here with me for all those times I am trying something new.

It's pretty though. So I've got that going for me. Which is nice. (Caddyshack reference) Sigh.

Ooh, pretty set up! With regard to the carto priming, it may be a stupid question, but are you using a punched carto? Assuming you are, did you put your finger over the bottom (the end that screws into your battery) to create a seal when taking those "priming" draws? You need to create a seal to suction the juice into the carto. If the draws felt airy, you don't have a seal. It's a bit fiddly to learn, but once you figure it out, it's easy, so don't get discouraged. A properly functioning carto tank is right up there with dripping when it comes to vaping pleasure (sorry Persaspera!)

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Ooh, pretty set up! With regard to the carto priming, it may be a stupid question, but are you using a punched carto? Assuming you are, did you put your finger over the bottom (the end that screws into your battery) to create a seal when taking those "priming" draws? You need to create a seal to suction the juice into the carto. If the draws felt airy, you don't have a seal. It's a bit fiddly to learn, but once you figure it out, it's easy, so don't get discouraged. A properly functioning carto tank is right up there with dripping when it comes to vaping pleasure (sorry Persaspera!)
So I did put my finger over the base while taking the priming draws, but it was definitely way airy. (Yes the cartos are punched - they came with the tank from IBtanked and are made for the tank according to the website. The holes are so tiny though - makes me wonder how the juice will ever seep in there!). But like I said, when I put my finger over the end of the carto and puffed, there was still a ton of air so obviously my finger wasn't cutting off the air flow enough to draw the juice in through the holes. Realizing this, and not understanding how I could possible get the thing airtight (seemed like air was coming in all over the place), I just looked up a different YouTube instructional video where they prime the carto once it's already in the filled tank by dripping juice into it.

No good?

Equus5O

ECF Veteran

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
I screwed up several cartos before I realized I needed to hit up youtube because I was definitely doing something wrong. Even after watching a few I still was getting that burnt taste which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Since I haven't been having any good luck with cartos I decided I'd just stick to bottom coils but today for the first time I tried the condom method and all I can say is WOW for 2 reasons--#!) I did it right. #2) Lots of vapor & flavor. :vapor:

charmschool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
North Georgia
So I did put my finger over the base while taking the priming draws, but it was definitely way airy. (Yes the cartos are punched - they came with the tank from IBtanked and are made for the tank according to the website. The holes are so tiny though - makes me wonder how the juice will ever seep in there!). But like I said, when I put my finger over the end of the carto and puffed, there was still a ton of air so obviously my finger wasn't cutting off the air flow enough to draw the juice in through the holes. Realizing this, and not understanding how I could possible get the thing airtight (seemed like air was coming in all over the place), I just looked up a different YouTube instructional video where they prime the carto once it's already in the filled tank by dripping juice into it.

No good?
Oh, there's multiple ways to prime, & whatever works is fine. The only problem with dripping only into the top of the carto means waiting for it to absorb all the way down to the coil. If you vape too soon, you're just burning dry filler. I'm very sensitive to that burnt taste, so I always had to start over with a new carto when that happened. Using the suction priming method, if you're not getting a good seal, try dampening your finger. It may also be a bad carto, or an o ring issue (your tank came with extras). For the tank to function properly, it does need to be relatively airtight - taking a draw should also help pull more juice into the carto.
And also, after I posted earlier, I remembered something else. The container your tank came in can also be used for priming. Check the first post in this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-forum/339809-do-you-fiddle-your-thingy.html
Keep at it & feel free to PM me if you have any more issues or questions!

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia

No good?

Yes good. :)

Anyway that you can saturate the filler is good. Baditude has done a wonderful blog on carto tank set ups. This might be just the read for you.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/3710-5-cartomizer-tank-setup.html

He's also got a blog listing several vendors that sell pre-punched cartos.

Since you have an IBtank, do you "fiddle with your thingy"? ;) I've found it works VERY well. I also believe in the needle poke method. I use a straight pin, or you can use a sharp tip syringe needle.

Another wonderful method for filling is Vapian's cartomator-fillinator. Lots of YouTube vids on that.

You're learning in the best way possible... by doing it. I'm sure you'll get the hang of it soon! :)

Oh, and if all else fails, just remember, even tho the carto might suck, your set up is GIRLY GORGEOUS! :D

charmschool

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2013
North Georgia
I screwed up several cartos before I realized I needed to hit up youtube because I was definitely doing something wrong. Even after watching a few I still was getting that burnt taste which I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy. Since I haven't been having any good luck with cartos I decided I'd just stick to bottom coils but today for the first time I tried the condom method and all I can say is WOW for 2 reasons--#!) I did it right. #2) Lots of vapor & flavor. :vapor:

Yep, that's what I'm talking about! And the third WOW is all the pretties you can partake of!! Unlimited tank décor & drip tips!!!

Snapdragon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Alberta, Canada
The key to cartos is total saturation, making sure that every bit of the filler is completely soaked with e-liquid - think juicy ;). Don't worry about over-filling because you can always blow out any excess once you know it's good.

The condom method - and lots of patience worked for me but as stated before, there are many options. Very soon you will be awesome at it and enjoying those cartos a lot. :vapor:

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
And also, after I posted earlier, I remembered something else. The container your tank came in can also be used for priming. Check the first post in this thread http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...s-forum/339809-do-you-fiddle-your-thingy.html Keep at it & feel free to PM me if you have any more issues or questions!

Perfect. I replaced the first carto with a new one and used the "thingy" (airtight plastic bottle the tank comes in) to prime. I screwed and unscrewed the cap 12 times, and voila - perfectly primed and almost all the juice had gone into the brand new carto. Refilled the tank - screwed it on the battery, and all was sublime.

baby-satisfied1.jpg

Thank you my friend, and thanks to everyone who helped.

Bukket5

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 3, 2012
Anchorage

No good?

Your tank is gorgeous. I have a nice red one from IBTanked and they do work really well. I always fill my carto before putting it in the tank. Then all you have to do is fill and refill the tank. I've never had good luck when dripping into the carto once it is in a tank. It just ends up running out. I prefer the small holes. Whenever I use a carto with larger holes all the juice leaks out of the tank.

This is mine from IBTanked. The drip tip and end caps are made from the same acrylic. I was super happy when I got the tank because I already had the drip tip and had no idea they were the same!

image.jpg

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
The key to cartos is total saturation, making sure that every bit of the filler is completely soaked with e-liquid - think juicy ;). Don't worry about over-filling because you can always blow out any excess once you know it's good.

The condom method - and lots of patience worked for me but as stated before, there are many options. Very soon you will be awesome at it and enjoying those cartos a lot. :vapor:
^^ THIS right here needs to be shouted from the highest rooftop!!!
MANY of the vids I watched don't let you know the carto needs to be saturated. IF anything they come off like saturating only leads to gurgling which is why I ended up trashing so many cause they were still Sahara desert dry.

Now here's a question--the little white cap that comes in the top of a carto, is it safe to leave it in?
Reason I'm asking cause somehow I managed to leave it in when I inserted the carto back into my tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread