Status
Not open for further replies.

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
I've never understood Sigeleis thought process'. Some of their design decisions are just plain terrible. The #13a is one of my favorite MODs...then they "improved" it & turned it to crap (#13b).

I've got every iteration of the #20 (Version 1, V2, & V3) and though I love the form factor - they all have serious problems that relegate them to the "nice but no cigar" drawer.

The various flavors of the #19 are all very nice MODs after a bit of tweaking, and the 8W is nice also (after tweaking the switch), but their "Bagua" clone was a MAJOR disappointment....a complete Fluster-Cuck. (IMHO). What were they thinking????

I've been staying away from sigelei for a while until they straighten their act out. The competition is walking away from them.... Sorry to say; Ive gotten some MODS from hcigar & EHPro recently that are orders-of-magnitude better than any of the Sigeleis I own. They hit hard and work well right out of the box....nice switches & even silver-plated pins.

Hopefully sigelei can get back in the race soon ...

I do use my ehpro EAs on a daily basis at home. But, my wifes segelei #24 works pretty good as well. I've never checked voltage drop on it though. It's just for backup.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan, yearning for home
The various flavors of the #19 are all very nice MODs after a bit of tweaking, and the 8W is nice also (after tweaking the switch), but their "Bagua" clone was a MAJOR disappointment....a complete Fluster-Cuck. (IMHO). What were they thinking????

Hopefully Sigelei can get back in the race soon ...

I spent about an hour in the garage with my Bagua when I got it, and it's now my go-to mod. For $20 I don't see how you could complain.

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
I spent about an hour in the garage with my Bagua when I got it, and it's now my go-to mod. For $20 I don't see how you could complain.

Well, for one thing - the battery vent holes are where the vent holes for the atty should be, so if you use an atty that draws from the base (like an Odysseus or Penelope) you are sucking air from the battery chamber....look at an original Chi -you (or a proper clone, like Hcigars) and you will see how its supposed to work.

The switch is also wobbly (like the 8W), and you have to use the locking ring every time you set it down or it will auto-fire. I've also had problems getting a Kick to work reliably with it (they treat the brass somehow to keep the tarnishing down, and it affects the ground point on the Kick - even after sanding/polishing the inside of the tube). That being said - I still use my brass version often when I sit at my computer, its just not a favorite.

I also waited almost two months for mine (jumped on it as soon as VT posted the pre-order), and it was almost $40.....so needless to say, I was disappointed with it. If it works for you; Great... but I'd never buy another one.

Last edited:

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Well, for one thing - the battery vent holes are where the vent holes for the atty should be, so if you use an atty that draws from the base (like an Odysseus or Penelope) you are sucking air from the battery chamber....look at an original Chi -you (or a proper clone, like Hcigars) and you will see how its supposed to work.

I drilled my own vent holes in the base and got rid of the top ring altogether. It solved the vent issue and made the mod about 7mm shorter... And you will NOT be drawing air from the battery tube... there are channels under on the top cap. Not sure where you got that idea from, but it's purely incorrect.

The switch is also wobbly (like the 8W), and you have to use the locking ring every time you set it down or it will auto-fire. I've also had problems getting a Kick to work reliably with it (they treat the brass somehow to keep the tarnishing down, and it affects the ground point on the Kick - even after sanding/polishing the inside of the tube). That being said - I still use my brass version often when I sit at my computer, its just not a favorite.

Perhaps we have different runs of the Bagua clone, because my switch works PERFECTLY (at least for me). No wobble, very positive, and (at least with drippers, as I don't use tank RBA's) has never once fired when set down unlocked. I only lock it when it's going in my pocket... which of course it does, as I carry it all day as my at-work PV.

Not sure what you mean by sanding down the inside of the tube, mine is stainless... and I've never used a kick (always seemed like defeating the point of a mech mod to me).

I also waited almost two months for mine (jumped on it as soon as VT posted the pre-order), and it was almost $40.....so needless to say, I was disappointed with it. If it works for you; Great... but I'd never buy another one.

Mine was on super duper sale from 101 vape for $20... I'd still be happy with it after modding for $40, but of course 20 is even better. That's why there are so many PV's, no single one works for everyone!

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
I currently am in the market for a new mechanical and was thinking of the 8w. Without having to read through almost 3000 posts, can someone tell me what kind of modding I will have to do to it out of the box? Is there and sanding of contacts or changing of springs? The ones I am finding out there pretty much elude to them having a new, (non-glued), button in the switch. I have also been searching the net for an 18500 body for it as well, if anyone knows of where that could be found? Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

NamVet68

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 16, 2013
Orlando, Florida
home.roadrunner.com
I currently am in the market for a new mechanical and was thinking of the 8w. Without having to read through almost 3000 posts, can someone tell me what kind of modding I will have to do to it out of the box? Is there and sanding of contacts or changing of springs? The ones I am finding out there pretty much elude to them having a new, (non-glued), button in the switch. I have also been searching the net for an 18500 body for it as well, if anyone knows of where that could be found? Thanks in advance...

The 8W works very well right out of the box...no sanding or replacing springs needed- the pins on mine even came silver-plated (a good thing). The only modification I did to mine was to place two nylon washers in the switch to eliminate the wobble:

8W_WobbleFix.jpg 8W_WobbleFix3.jpg 8W_WobbleFix4.jpg

The 18500 tubes are available, but VERY scarce... you might have some trouble finding them. Vaportek was supposed to carry some, but I don't think they ever got them in... I'm not aware of anyone who has them currently. Someone else might have had better luck.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
Mitey F said:
I'd still be happy with it after modding for $40, but of course 20 is even better. That's why there are so many PV's, no single one works for everyone!
True enough. :)

I'm going to join you in the minority camp: I like the (logo free) Bagua clone for its combination of small size, light weight and comfy bottom button. For a person with small hands, it's ideal.

I did have to shorten the throw - which seems to eliminate the wobble, btw - and replace that truly craptastic spring it came with, but that took a grand total of about 6 minutes. Now I just need to do something about the too-short pin. It works fine if I fiddle with it every time I change batteries, but I'd rather find a better, more permanent solution.

Have you tried anything of that sort, Mr Mitey? I'd kind of like to buy another one of these, but I really want to figure out this problem first.

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
True enough. :)

I'm going to join you in the minority camp: I like the (logo free) Bagua clone for its combination of small size, light weight and comfy bottom button. For a person with small hands, it's ideal.

I did have to shorten the throw - which seems to eliminate the wobble, btw - and replace that truly craptastic spring it came with, but that took a grand total of about 6 minutes. Now I just need to do something about the too-short pin. It works fine if I fiddle with it every time I change batteries, but I'd rather find a better, more permanent solution.

Have you tried anything of that sort, Mr Mitey? I'd kind of like to buy another one of these, but I really want to figure out this problem first.

Why indeed I have... I might have even posted it somewhere in this thread before. I removed the screw altogether, removed the vent ring, and shortened the top cap. It looks (IMO) and works much much better now than in the stock form. It's also a few mm shorter, and my RDA's (I really only use the IGO line, best bang for the buck IMO) all fit flush.

How's that for small?

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Holy cats!

:blink:

That's insanely impressive - you practically rebuilt the whole thing! I haven't got the skills or the tools to mess with a project like that, though. I'd probably kill myself.

Got anything for somebody who never took even Shop, and is basically working with sandpaper and a butter knife?

To sand down the top cap all you really need to do is remove the ring, and take a dremel and take off a few mm of threads a little at a time, checking each time and stopping when you reach the right height, then resize the + contact depending on what atty's and batteries (flat or button tops) you like to use. Easy peasy. Drill a few holes in the bottom cap and button for venting, since you got rid of the silly Sigelei top vent (picture below) and you're set to go. Simple stuff, anyone with a drill (or drill press), vice and dremel (or even sandpaper/file) could do it.

This solves both the venting problem, as well as the loose + contact, all in one fell swoop. Better aesthetics and a smaller size are just added bonuses. Dicker with the spring a bit (if you want to, mine is original) and you've got a great performing little mod for next to no $$

It's a million times better than stock. Easily the best $20 I've ever spent on a mod.

Last edited:

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois
The 8W works very well right out of the box...no sanding or replacing springs needed- the pins on mine even came silver-plated (a good thing). The only modification I did to mine was to place two nylon washers in the switch to eliminate the wobble:

View attachment 270403 View attachment 270404 View attachment 270405

The 18500 tubes are available, but VERY scarce... you might have some trouble finding them. Vaportek was supposed to carry some, but I don't think they ever got them in... I'm not aware of anyone who has them currently. Someone else might have had better luck.

Good luck.

Thanks NamVet68. Really appreciate the feedback. I know on my Natural I had to mod all the pins in it and grind down the 510 connector on top to make it work to my liking. The toughest part was to get it to work the same with button top vs. flat top batteries. I have and use both.

Kropotkin

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Maine
To sand down the top cap all you really need to do is remove the ring, and take a dremel and take off a few mm of threads a little at a time, checking each time and stopping when you reach the right height, then resize the + contact depending on what atty's and batteries (flat or button tops) you like to use. Easy peasy. Drill a few holes in the bottom cap and button for venting, since you got rid of the silly Sigelei top vent (picture below) and you're set to go. Simple stuff, anyone with a drill (or drill press), vice and dremel (or even sandpaper/file) could do it.

This solves both the venting problem, as well as the loose + contact, all in one fell swoop. Better aesthetics and a smaller size are just added bonuses. Dicker with the spring a bit (if you want to, mine is original) and you've got a great performing little mod for next to no $$

It's a million times better than stock. Easily the best $20 I've ever spent on a mod.
You're very kind to write all this down so clearly and carefully, Mitey F, but I'm afraid you're over-estimating my skill set by a humongous margin.

I'm quite jealous of people who can do stuff like that, though. It must be very gratifying. (I have three rather expensive, perfectly functional mods already, but suddenly find myself all excited about tinkering with these little cheapies instead. I imagine many people feel that way.)

Mitey F

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
You're very kind to write all this down so clearly and carefully, Mitey F, but I'm afraid you're over-estimating my skill set by a humongous margin.

I'm quite jealous of people who can do stuff like that, though. It must be very gratifying. (I have three rather expensive, perfectly functional mods already, but suddenly find myself all excited about tinkering with these little cheapies instead. I imagine many people feel that way.)

Most of my time is spent in the garage, building motorcycles or what have you. Buy a cheap used knockoff mod sometime, and go dicker with it. It's satisfying

Vince159

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2012
Citrus Heights, CA USA
I'm sure it is.

But you're talking to a person who's feeling incredibly proud of herself because she figured out how to improve the crappy switch on the #8 by sticking half of a ballpoint pen spring into it.

Just saying. ;)

Now I'll be searching for spring loaded ballpoint pens, the spring on one of my mods is so weak a strong breeze will fire it.

pizza2me

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2010
Maryland
Ok folks. Me again. Now I picked up a #20 supposedly with a fixed switch. But, the pin is too low for some of my wife's attys.

I've read through this entire thread a couple of times, but it's been a while and don't want to dig through again. I will search, but hope somebody has a quick answer.

Has anybody modded the pin on a #20 to make it adjustable/float? Or just longer? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread