Silica Wick Inside SS Mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
Been experimenting with SS mesh wick lately with ho hum results. Decided to try something different this morning so cut a piece of oxidized SS mesh wick just long enough to fit inside of drip mode Ody (about 1/2"). Then unrolled the SS wick and put it around a piece of silica wick, in the middle of a normal length of silica for drip mode Ody (about 2"). Then rolled the coil with my normal 36G Kanthal and silver NR wire and put it in Ody with just silica running down the channels and SS mesh/silica under the coils. I was thinking that maybe the silica would draw more juice into the SS mesh for a better vape and the mesh would protect the silica and help it to last longer??? Then checked the resistance on the coil, which would normally come in about 2.5 - 3.0 ohms, but the resistance came in @ .8 ohms. Made me afraid to vape it with my normal stacked (2) 3.0v or (2) 3.7v batteries so I dropped down to (1) 3.7v 18650 AW battery. WOW, even at just 3.7v this damn thing cuts up! Makes that good sizzling sound with bunches of vapor and throat hit. I'm still a little leary of it though so right now just taking little quick hits with my eyes closed lol. I sure ain't recommending it cause I ain't sure it's safe but was wondering if anyone else has tried anything similar.

springfieldarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2011
Albuquerque
Been experimenting with SS mesh wick lately with ho hum results. Decided to try something different this morning so cut a piece of oxidized SS mesh wick just long enough to fit inside of drip mode Ody (about 1/2"). Then unrolled the SS wick and put it around a piece of silica wick, in the middle of a normal length of silica for drip mode Ody (about 2"). Then rolled the coil with my normal 36G Kanthal and silver NR wire and put it in Ody with just silica running down the channels and SS mesh/silica under the coils. I was thinking that maybe the silica would draw more juice into the SS mesh for a better vape and the mesh would protect the silica and help it to last longer??? Then checked the resistance on the coil, which would normally come in about 2.5 - 3.0 ohms, but the resistance came in @ .8 ohms. Made me afraid to vape it with my normal stacked (2) 3.0v or (2) 3.7v batteries so I dropped down to (1) 3.7v 18650 AW battery. WOW, even at just 3.7v this damn thing cuts up! Makes that good sizzling sound with bunches of vapor and throat hit. I'm still a little leary of it though so right now just taking little quick hits with my eyes closed lol. I sure ain't recommending it cause I ain't sure it's safe but was wondering if anyone else has tried anything similar.

That's a great setup I use from time to time on my tank setup Ody. If you used the normal amount of wire that would get you 2.5-3.0ohms and its reading .8 then I think it may be safe to say you have a short. Probably a piece of the wire is wrapped to tight in a spot or there is a stray piece of mesh poking out and shoring your wire.

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
Thanks spring. I kinda figured there was prolly a short or something. I'll keep working with it cause so far I'm liking it a lot. Was about ready to give up on SS mesh altogether but I'm seeing more and more potential - especially combining mesh & silica.
That's a great setup I use from time to time on my tank setup Ody. If you used the normal amount of wire that would get you 2.5-3.0ohms and its reading .8 then I think it may be safe to say you have a short. Probably a piece of the wire is wrapped to tight in a spot or there is a stray piece of mesh poking out and shoring your wire.

springfieldarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2011
Albuquerque
I wouldn't take the whole thing apart. Just take the mouth piece off and fire it up. You might see a bright orange or white spot glowing somewhere on one of the coils or maybe just one coil glowing and the rest dark. Simply grab a pair of tweezers and poke the coils around till they glow even and you are set

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
you have a short because you didnt oxidised mesh well smitty. But if it vapes well then keep it as it is. Also your trick to put mesh around silica is known and it works exellent on Ody:)

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
Thanks Imeo. Thought I had come up with something new but guess not haha. Anyhow, I did have to replace that coil but made a new one and it's working great. With that coil in Ody on a GGTS, well it just doesn't get any better. BTW, I feel honored to get a response from you, the inventor of my favorite vaping equipment. I truly admire your work and your genius. Thanks for all you do.
you have a short because you didnt oxidised mesh well smitty. But if it vapes well then keep it as it is. Also your trick to put mesh around silica is known and it works exellent on Ody:)

smitty727

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2010
Monroe NC
This sounds very interesting. I have a butane torch but still have problems getting the mesh completely oxidized. If you or anyone else can provide more info on how to do this I would appreciate. Thanks!!!
You can also try something else. Put one round of mesh around the silica and connect NR wires to the edges of the mesh. No R wire is needed, no oxidation of the mesh

springfieldarms

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2011
Albuquerque
Use the tourch and get the mesh glowing hot and quench it with water or PG. do that a few times. Then get it wet with PG again and use a Lighter to catch it on fire and let it burn itself out. Do that a few times and you are set. Pretty much the same process as setting up a wick for a genny atty but with silica inside the mesh is the only differance.

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
its easy smitt. Put 1,5 turn of mesh around silica and wrap NR wires around the ends of the mesh. Its that easy:)
This sounds very interesting. I have a butane torch but still have problems getting the mesh completely oxidized. If you or anyone else can provide more info on how to do this I would appreciate. Thanks!!!

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
............ untitled-1.jpg

imeothanasis

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 13, 2009
Athens, Hellas
gg-goldengreek.com
the big thing is that there is no need for oxidising (that isnt always succesful and its a real pain the most of the times) smitty. And the second big thing is that the burning surface is very big, not just a very thin one like the diameter of a nichrome wire
It is easy and works great. Much less trouble than oxidizing. Thanks Imeo!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread