Status
Not open for further replies.

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
I have tried searching through this sub forum but could not find the answer so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I am wondering where to get this or what brand I should get. I found something called arctic silver on ebay and was not sure if this was the right stuff or not. Thanks a lot.
J
p.S. I noticed that there used to be a sticky about this stuff but it has been deleted, is this because it is not recommended anymore?

schismz

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I admit that I have no clue... I too use noalox, which nobody at Lowes or Home Depot ever seems to be able to find, but it'll be in the section that deals with electrical equipment. I have arctic silver and have used it for CPUs and various parts inside laptops when taking them apart and putting them back together again, but never tried it on any mod I have. I too am curious if anybody here is doing that, and if so... well, why?

Arctic silver I've always just ordered online, but I seem to remember Radio Shack stocking it.

RooD

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
St. Jospeh, MI
Ata, I read this at work and had to come home and give it a try, since I have Arctic Silver just sitting around.

I would say it works as good if not a bit better than Nolax, I seems to be stiffer on the threads but seems to have a bit more glide to it (if that makes sense)

Also would like to say Silver Grease is sticky, it takes a little more than a wipe to get it off your device and I had to wash my hands well to get it off

RooD

ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2010
St. Jospeh, MI
pipes thats what i thought... because arctic silver is used to cool CPUs and other computer components, but with using it on my mod it seem to work... And all Silver Grease will be non conductive because it is supposed to be used to cool electronics, I did not put it on my switch which I am about to do and I will report my results

atavanhalen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2010
Wolverine Lake, Michigan
So maybe it is not arctic silver that I am looking for. What is the stuff from the deleted thread? I did read that arctic silver is only conductive under extreme compression which is probably because it squeezes the silver together but I am no expert(obviously). I do not know if the pressure of the threads would be enough to make it conductive or not.

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
I use the arctic silver 5 for my computer as well.
yes..it is a thermal paste that is applied to the cpu to help transfer heat to the heatsink.

here's a link to arctic silver 5 if anyone is interested in reading about it.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100007
"99.9% Pure Silver
The Arctic Silver 5 uses three unique shapes and sizes of pure silver particles to maximize particle-to-particle contact area and thermal transfer. "

maybe david will chime in and give some advice.

Last edited:

forcedfuel50

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
What i've come to suspect over the last year is that the primary benefit of Noalox or Conductive grease is not to conduct electricity, but rather it prevents the micro layer of oxidization or tarnishing from forming, which inhibits the electrical flow. As of late, i've been favoring the Noalox and that is what i put on the contacts and threads of the units i send out. Here is a link to a couple of online places with Noalox:

IDEAL 30-026 Noalox® Anti-Oxidant Compound (4 oz. Bottle)

Ideal Industries 30-026 Noalox Anti-Oxidant

New_World

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2009
What i've come to suspect over the last year is that the primary benefit of Noalox or Conductive grease is not to conduct electricity, but rather it prevents the micro layer of oxidization or tarnishing from forming, which inhibits the electrical flow. As of late, i've been favoring the Noalox and that is what i put on the contacts and threads of the units i send out. Here is a link to a couple of online places with Noalox:

IDEAL 30-026 Noalox® Anti-Oxidant Compound (4 oz. Bottle)

Ideal Industries 30-026 Noalox Anti-Oxidant

yep.thats all I do. =)

NO ALuminum OXidation NO-AL-OX lol

Switched

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2010
Dartmouth, NS Canada
I have tried searching through this sub forum but could not find the answer so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I am wondering where to get this or what brand I should get. I found something called arctic silver on ebay and was not sure if this was the right stuff or not. Thanks a lot.
J
p.S. I noticed that there used to be a sticky about this stuff but it has been deleted, is this because it is not recommended anymore?

Shoot Brock J a PM he has talked about it in the past

BrockJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2009
Dallas, Texas
Silver Conducting Grease can be bought online or at WW Grainger.
Mine is made by Circuit Works (or Chemtronics). It has a temp rating of -40 - +485 and does enhance conductivity. It came from WW Grainger <click> It looks like it's come down a little since I bought mine.
It last forever and only takes the smallest amount to get it all over you and your PV.
I use a toothpick to apply to the threads and contact points.

Noalox is an anti corrosion compound that helps lubricate and prevent oxidation on aluminum connections so.... in that way it does help with conductivity because of the zinc that's in it...

Hope that helps..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread