Anti oxidation grease (GB ox gard / Noalox) Success Story

Status
Not open for further replies.

pauly walnuts

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
pa
I have been using a mechanical nemesis clone for a while now. I am a sub ohmer and have had great success with this mod, vtc4 batteries, and my few rda's (origin v1, plume veil, and helios clones).

I had been told that using a conductive anti oxidant grease on the contact surfaces of my mod would improve its performance. I wasnt sure how much better my equipment's performance could get, and was really surprised with the results.

I cleaned ALL CONTACT SURFACES with a soft wire brush and alcohol, then wiped the residue off with an alcohol soaked cloth. After they were dry, I gave the threads, contact points, bottom switch components, battery terminals, and the mods 510 connection pin a light coating of 'GB ox gard' (a conductive anti oxidant similar to noalox) and WOW. Its like a completely different mod.

I just wanted to share this. A tube costs around five bucks and goes a long way. Id think its a must for anyone with a mechanical, but could probably be used to good effect with any PV. Im truly amazed how well this stuff works.

download (7).jpg :vapor:

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Deoxit gold is a much cleaner product than than noalox or any grease for contacts and batteries.

It leaves no residue or buildup and is non greasy.

Here's a quick vid I did to demonstrate how to maintain batteries and contacts with it :)

http://youtu.be/8APCv1scHXk

It's on a different mod, but you'll get the idea :)

Last edited:

embee214

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 14, 2013
hv ny
Deoxit gold is a much cleaner product than than noalox or any grease for contacts and batteries.

Here's a quick vid I did to demonstrate how to maintain batteries and contacts with it :)

Hey Super_X...you forgot the link. I'm interested!!

Rule62

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2011
Melbourne, Florida

I'm with Super_X. Great stuff. Beats Noalox and OxGuard all to heck.

pauly walnuts

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2013
pa
I feel my methods are confirmed now, other than the deoxidation product. With every contact cleaned and coated my mod runs better than it ever has.

I am wondering though, How long will my 'noalox clone grease' last? As in, how frequently should I clean and reapply with the black stuff? I will eventually get some deoxit gold, but Im going to use what I have for the moment.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
I take a different approach... and I prefer 'greasier' stuff like noalox because of my different approach.

I was looking at one of my chargers a few years ago and realized it had aluminum contacts. Knowing that aluminum tends to oxidize, I decided it was a good idea to occasionally put a dab of noalox on my charger contacts. Some of that transfers to my batts.. and therefore some of it transfers to the contacts on my PVs. Every so often, I clean the PVs and the chargers and reapply a dab of noalox to the chargers.

Smann245

Aug 16, 2014
USA
Silicone grease (dielectric grease) is all you need. From another thread.
"
I hate to rain on this parade but I contacted Ideal, the makers of Noalox and had a discussion with one of their customer service reps regarding Noalox and the use of it on materials used in our mech mods. Basically, according to the CS rep, Noalox is useless when used on most mechanical mods. The only time it really does much good at all is if the mod is made of aluminum and applied to threads where aluminum comes in contact with aluminum. Otherwise, it is NOT a lubricant or grease of any kind nor does it encourage better electrical conductivity between other metals.
I know this is going to upset some people and I'm certain some will swear that it is super awesome and makes a huge difference. Heck, I used to use it as well and could swear by it. But then, after speaking to Ideal and doing some unscientific testing it became apparent that Noalox on the majority of mech mods does absolutely nothing.
I'm not telling anyone not to use it. Go ahead and use it if you really believe it helps. I'm just letting you know what the rep from Ideal told me and my personal experience.
Here's what is going to produce the best performance for your mech mods:

1) Keeping everything CLEAN. The cleaner the better
2) If you want to use some type of grease or "enhancer" try using Permatex Dielectric Grease. At least you will be using a product that is actually designed for what you're trying to achieve.

The benefits of Noalox has been a myth propagated in the vaping community for quite some time now. I believe it started when some mod manufacturer included some with their mod when you purchased it. Ever since, everybody and their brother believe that it is a miracle additive.

Don't believe me? That's ok, it won't hurt my feelings. Do your own research. Contact Ideal Corp like I did and ask them about Noalox and what it's used for and what benefits it provides under what conditions and with what materials. I personally have NEVER had Noalox make any kind of difference in my vaping experience. If it did, i would use it no matter what Ideal Corp told me it was for. But since I can't tell a difference with or without it and my observations were confirmed by discussing it with Ideal then I'm confident in saying that it's nothing more then hype.
Last edited by Skenzer; 10-02-2014 at 10:13 PM."

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
I don't use noalox either. But I have used dielectric grease - to waterproof stationary connections on ATVs. Contacts that open and close are not the best application for dielectric grease.

Any grease applied to a non sealed contact point will attract dirt.

Why anyone would want to put any type of greasy substance inside a mod unless the connection point was a sliding connection?

Deoxit is where it's at. Non greasy and designed for contacts both stationary and moment.

Rock on with the grease though - chef doan judge.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
The point of contact is where oxidation occurs from the contact opening and closing. I'm fortunate to not have to deal with mods that have thread / screw together components. And I sure as hell ain't greasing up my 510 connection cause juice flows thru the area.

The point of contact and batteries, while clean in my case, benefit from the application of a product such as deoxit that ......s the oxidation process. The fact is any and all contacts that open / close arc causing oxidation. It's just that in most mods you can't see it cause the contact points are not visible. In the mods I run, they are visible and the deoxit eliminates arcing.

It is equally important for the surfaces between battery and positive / negative contacts are as smooth as possible. I clean mine with a pencil eraser and 99% IPA just before applying deoxit gold. Roughing up contacts with an abrasive is a bad idea. :)

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Good read. Thank you. Here's an extrapolation from it that pertains to the mods I run:

"Contact arcs have the ability to alter composition of greases. Silicone greases can be converted by arcs to silicone carbide, which is highly abrasive. For this reason, silicone grease should be avoided when contacts are "hot switched" and have any chance of arcing."

For those who didn't read the passage, silicone grease is dielectric grease.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread