Simple MTL coil builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Kaneki

Mar 28, 2019
Hello ECF,
I have recently bought the Berserk MTL RDA and I was looking to build my own coils. So far I've been using pre-built coils that I just need to install but I want to build my own. I don't know much about coil types, wire types , gauges ..etc. Can anyone explain that to me? I'm looking to build coils with resistance between 0.7 ohms and 1.2 ohms.
Thank you.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    For lower wattage 10-20 watts try either 26 gauge or 28 gauge round wire.

28 gauge is thinner - it will heat up faster, and cool down quicker than 26 gauge. But as it is thinner wire, some find it harder to wick with. The best way is just trying out both, and seeing what works best for you.

You can buy it in either kanthal, ni80 or ss316l. SS316l can be used in temp control vaping, or it can be used in wattage vaping. Kanthal and ni80 can only be used in wattage vaping. The main difference between these 3 wire types is their resistance. Kanthal has the highest resistance, ni80 is lower and ss316l has the lowest resistance. But for use with a regulated mod - the resistance is just a number.

If you want a 0.7ohm - 1.2ohm coil - here's some options:

3mm id, 6 wraps, 28 gauge ss316l gives approx 0.7ohm
    3mm id, 6 wraps, 28 gauge Ni80 gives approx 0.9ohm
    3mm id, 6 wraps, 28 gauge kanthal gives approx 1.4ohm

If you play with the calculator at Steam Engine - it will give you other information:
    Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

G and C

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 3, 2014
    California
    I'm also a MTL vaper, although I tend to stick to higher ohms, usually around 1.8ohms. My go to is either 10 wraps of Kanthal 28g with 2.5mm diameter for RTAs, or 13 wraps of Kanthal 26g on a 3.0mm diameter for RDAs. I find that 28g is much easier to work with for some reason, but YMMV.

I'd give 4 wraps of 28g Kanthal with a 3mm diameter a shot, and see how that fits your needs. Should build you right around .9ohms.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread