Simple solution to a simple problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
We've seen loads of innovative mods to improve e-cigs and most focus on power. This has contributed to improvements - typically USB mods. All these suffer from a wired connection to a computer or battery pack. The only exception is Trog's screwdriver which addresses battery power failures by beefing up the battery - and with it a "new look".

I don't understand this approach. Why aren't standard recharable batteries being used? The 'tidier' arrangements really aren't tidy at all - they use custom components without improving battery technology.

The Janty 10440 battery powers its e-cig (in a USB box) and is less than the diametre of the Janty atomiser. Construct a screw-off tube to slot in a 10440 battery when the installed one runs out.

My 10440's have more power than my 901 batteries, they cost a lot less and I can charge 4 at a time. I don't know how many batteries Janty are replacing through their warranty - but they'd need offer no battery warrenty with this deisgn.

I'm not having a go at Janty - they're just nearer to the solution I've proposed.

This seems a way of balancing design and cost issues. I'm no engineer but will be interested to hear other views.

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
That's a good idea Pete - but I'm not yet convinced that a replaceable atomiser is the way to go. Leaford is still testing and I need to bite my tongue about that and not ask if he's finding things to do with spent atomisers! ;)

Seriously - I don't think disposable will work. We're not going to throw out parts that are still working - for financial reasons. Essentially, we don't like to throw stuff out even when it's broken! We like to fix broken things - but perhaps I'm revealing my age :-(.

The 10440 battery is HUGE in comparison to the battery you can take out of a 901 - but it is not more than a millimeter or two wider, A flush fitting with an atomiser wouldn't mean creating a beast. Instead users could easily replace batteries and not worry about power.

PeteMcArthur

ECF Veteran
Sep 27, 2008
Scotland
We will wait and see how the Loong thing works out. I don't think it is a bad idea if it works, an atomiser is just a coil of wire really so it is not too wasteful. That being said I've got about 6 901 and penstyle atomisers that are wimps but I can't bring myself to bin them. Every so often. I'll try to clean them and fail....

I quite like my cigar, it's got a pretty good runtime, not up to SD level but way beyond 901s and the batteries cost tuppence. The atomiser seems to hold up well, used it for close to two months now and still going, but this is only occasional use, I count myself lucky to get 10 days out of a 901 :(

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
Apo - Jez I hope that's not the cigar I just ordered! I guess I'll soon find out.

What I'm proposing to the budding entrepreneur is:

The standard design - battery - amtomiser - cart. All detachable. No doubt - atomiser design is a problem needing work.

All I'm suggesting is a hollow tube for your battery - no rocket science. You just pop a rechargeable battery in to the tube.

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
Pete - I think we've all hit a few "reliability problems" but they'd worry us less if we'd an "adapter pack". It would me anyway.

Be honest - how many of us here rely on one model? Should I post one of those surveys? ;)

And Pete - it would certainly cut out current rip-off battery profit margins. Trog was the first to do something about this and has the only product a commercial establishment could make use of. I'm just suggesting another approach that might be better for some ...

Last edited:

Tetsab

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2008
East Sussex, UK
What I'm proposing to the budding entrepreneur is:

The standard design - battery - atomiser - cart. All detachable. No doubt - atomiser design is a problem needing work.

All I'm suggesting is a hollow tube for your battery - no rocket science. You just pop a rechargeable battery in to the tube.

I'm with you on the battery idea, I use rechargeables all the time. AND I hate chucking stuff out too - just ask my poor long-suffering partner. Would it need to be a hollow tube with the switch gubbins in it too so just need to slot in a freshly charged batt? The switch needs to go somewhere and adding it on to the atomiser would just leave THEM more vulnerable to failure - oh, hell now we're up to a four-piece unit instead of three...

Mind you, if a design genius is on the lookout for ideas I still reckon the standard design is in the wrong order anyway - surely we need the cartridge IN FRONT of the atomiser so the juice can FOLLOW the airflow instead of battling against it?

<sigh> Dream on! :rolleyes:

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
Tetsab - the current designs are well able to change wiring for LEDs and switches can stick or fail in the best models. I've just been through the tootem site and am still confused - but they have 5, 7 and 9cm batteries. These batteries are expensive.

Now - taking in to account that the e-cig industry isn't large enough to generate a new standard rechargeable battery (even though just a casing colour might address the problem) I can't see a good reason for not adopting a rechargeable option. Commercial reasons are obvious.

jarvis

ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2008
Tx
It's a great idea, but E-cig companies want you to buy Their batteries. They don't want you to have the option of going to deal-xtreme and buying cheap generic rechargeables, it would eat into a large part of their profits. Another reason why they don't make batteries cross compatible, lots of people would be smoking loongtotem cartridges on someone elses 10 dollar batteries right now if that were the case.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread