Single coil Aerotank - how I made it work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

x3ro

Apr 15, 2013
Arlington, TX
I did a lot of searching and reading, and only found mixed posts about using single coil kanger heads on an Aerotank.

I personally didn't care for the dual coils that it came with. They sucked down a lot of juice, didn't have great flavor, and the vapor production out of them wasn't all that great.

So I recently did a lot of reading, and learned how to make my own coils. I could only find 28g kanthal locally, so I figured I'd give that a try, and if I had any success, I'd order some various other gauges online when I could.

Anyhow, I got all my supplies, tools, kanthal, and some sterile cotton and went to work. I rebuilt some kanger T3S heads first, because I typically use a TS3 tank. I successfully built a working coil with cotton wick. Way better vapor and flavor than the stock heads, even with 28g kanthal at around 9.5w on my Zmax V5.

So just for kicks, I tried a rebuilt T3S head in my Aerotank. I had some success, but something just didn't seem right. I rigged up a bunch of the gaskets to take up the extra empty space above the coil. I wasn't real happy with the T3S coil in the Aerotank. Vapor wasn't great, and flavor wasn't great.

So I got to really examining the original Aerotank dual coil head very closely. It didn't take me long to notice that the flange above the threads on the dual coil was wider than the flange above the threads on the T3S head.

So I found an old evod coil, and compared them. The evod coil flange was the same diameter as the dual coil flange. Cool! So I promptly tore apart the evod coil, and rebuilt it with a new coil, wicked with cotton, and a very very thin cotton flavor wick on top. I also happened to notice that when I was trimming back the cotton, the extra width of the flange allowed more cotton wick to hang out of the sides of the head, compared to the T3S.

I used the taller chimney from the T3S, as well as the silicone grommet (instead of that crappy rubber grommet the old evod coils use) from a T3S to rebuilt the old evod coil. Once it was all wrapped up, the rebuilt evod coil worked out to around 1.5ohm. Great!

So I got to re-thinking my strategy for the extra space. I originally had trimmed out the wall from a couple of those silicone chimney covers so they looked like little silicone washers, but that was a crappy solution. So I pulled apart the Aerotank and got to playing with different things. I finally just took a second chimney cap, and put it on top of the other chimney cap. Not upside down, just normally. This perfectly sealed up the gap.

So I put a fresh 18650 battery in my Zmax, filled up the Aerotank with some juice from a great local B&M, and added on the base with my newly rebuilt evod coil. I set the Zmax to 9.5w, let the cotton soak up the juice, and vaped away.

GREAT vapor and flavor out of this combo! No leaking from the Aerotank, no gurgling. Just great flavor, great plumes of vapor, and now I have a greater appreciation for the Aerotank! Going on my 2nd day vaping this combo, and loving it. The 28g causes me to take longer vapes to heat it up properly, but I can imagine with 30g, it will be even better!

Just thought I'd share with you guys, as like I said, I had trouble finding any good information on single coils in the Aerotank, other than some people saying it worked great, but not saying how they did it, or some people saying it worked terribly and leaked, etc..

Sorry if this was long winded! :vapor::blink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread