Single coil RTA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
That's a dangerous question to ask here @Avish.

What is your vaping style first, big or small clouds? Aka DTL (Direct To Lung) or MTL (Mouth To Lung).

And are you wanting flavour from it as well? As some are considerably better than other when it comes to flavour.

Javichu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2020
Spain
Im kinda a newbie in this whole vaping scene but the Wasp Nano RTA ive been using has been really good so far.
But i wouldnt take my advice to seriously,ton of people here have way more vaping under their belt (hmm that sounded weird...nvm hehe)

*mentally projects a ''like'' to @Mordacai *

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Bf9e4wV.jpg

You might want to start your journey here:

RTA

Any RTA worth its salt will have a following, and will have more than 2 pages

If it has 160+ pages it means its really well thought of :)

We all have our own personal bias, if it were 4 years ago, id say the Lemo 2 was a cracker...still is, still using mine as my primary tank

Im (hopefully, freight willing) due to get my first tank in nearly 3 years, the Ulton Tripod RTA clone, which will suit my vape style, which is restricted DL. It also will do MTL, apparently. fwiw most tanks that claim to do both DL and MTL cant....

Im getting the new tank because a) my Lemo 2's are quite old and cranky now and b) its easier to build than the Lemo 2 :)

Knowing your style of vaping will help a lot.

Last edited:

Avish

Apr 12, 2020
I've got a few attys such as blotto, gear rta, hellvape md rta, voopoo vinci with RBA and I don't think I like any of them. I'm more a DTL person. I've been having a tough luck when it comes to vaping during the past couple of months. Bad choice of juices. I'm more into fruity flavours but I recently purchased chi chi - hoots, got it from a sale, and I'm not enjoying it at all. So I'm thinking of trying everything new, tank and juice, cause I'm not ready to give up vaping yet

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Hi everyone. It's my first time posting here and my first question is, what is the best single coil RTA.
“Best” is an almost useless descriptor. Any dual coil RTA can be done as a single coil. You just make the coil larger. It’s about surface area, so a larger diameter coil can have the same surface area as two smaller ones. The aromamizer plus is a dual or triple coil but it’s got a gigantic chamber so you can wrap some awful big single coils in it. It’s a big tank though. I prefer single coil over double myself because coil balancing is no longer required. I did a thing with gigantic coils for a while, above 6 mm. They have issues because they require thin wire and the larger the loop the more floppy the wire.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Second the Ulton clone of the Tripod, also their GT IV clone isn't too shabby either.

Tripod gives amazing flavour with a good throat hit, it'll give juices you know more depth of flavour than you ever knew before. Very easy to build and has so many decent design innovations crammed into it, has a nice slightly restricted airflow and will take upto a 3mm ID coil.

GT IV seems good so far, has decent flavour and vapour. Has 3 airflow options, easy to build as well. Just trying to suss the wicking with it using Rayon, but it looks like upto a 4mm ID coil would fit.

With both the build quality is excellent and they will give you all of the performance for a fraction of the cost.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Let me throw in another curve ball... do you want top air or bottom air?

For top air, I really like the Expromizer V4 for MTL and the Serpent Elevate for DTL.

Note, also, that most mesh coil atomizers are considered single coil...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
Must agree with you @Shawn Hoefer, the Exvape Expromizer V4 is another good RTA. But I have issues running TC with them due to resistance fluctuation caused by the design, I've still to work out a way to ensure that the 510 screw can be fully tightend to rectify the resistance fluctuation issue.

But it's probably the quietest MTL RTA on the market, making it ideal for stealth vaping.

Last edited:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I've got a few attys such as blotto, gear rta, hellvape md rta, voopoo vinci with RBA and I don't think I like any of them. I'm more a DTL person. I've been having a tough luck when it comes to vaping during the past couple of months. Bad choice of juices. I'm more into fruity flavours but I recently purchased chi chi - hoots, got it from a sale, and I'm not enjoying it at all. So I'm thinking of trying everything new, tank and juice, cause I'm not ready to give up vaping yet
Hi and welcome,
IMO,
Pick the RTA in your collection that you like the most.
Switch to unflavored and ONLY use the above chosen RTA for the next month.
Rebuild and rewick often, trying different wire types, AWGs, wraps, IDs and watt ranges.
If you can source different wicking materials, try that also.
Master the equipment and almost any device will deliver the vape you want.

HTH
I

stylemessiah

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2015
Sydney, Australia
Must agree with you @Shawn Hoefer, the Exvape Expromizer V4 is another good RTA. But I have issues running TC with them due to resistance fluctuation caused by the design, I've still to work out a way to ensure that the 510 screw can be fully tightend to rectify the resistance fluctuation issue.

But it's probably the quietest MTL RTS on the market, making it ideal for stealth vaping.

I was told by people id never be able to get accurate results using TC with my Lemo 2, but 4 years later.........

Interestingly, i just looked up the exploded parts of the Expromizer and it has a not dissimilar 510 and deck design to the Lemo 2, in that the build deck screws into the base and sits on a press fitted pin (instead of the more stable pin extends into one of the poles in the deck). The Lemo 2 build deck is removeable (to take apart, put tiny screwdriver through airflow holes and use pliers to twist deck (across the towers) this way is least destructive, least marks) - not that i normally point this out as a fix for connectivity issues with the Lemo 2 - i normally suggest taking the tank apart, putting the deck upside down and tapping the pin with a hammer sharply, then reassembling and testing...because the only other option is to crank down the deck, which you may never get off again. The tap the 510 pin method has worked for me just fine - usually after ive dropped the mod and tank and noticed the ohms is reading funky, or worse "no atty". I've had to "reset" my Lemo 2's this way a few times...again from drops :)

Its also possible theres part of the design, in the deck thats causing he fluctations....

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I could give you a list of my favorites but like all are saying it depends on so much stuff. I'm not your vaping style either.

I happen to not love so much top air but the V4 thing is okay, I guess. I use it now and then.

Izan is giving you an interesting idea although UNFLAVOVRED for a MONTH? That is rather hard core. LOL. I suppose it would give you sort of the best idea of how to build for your style of vaping with the most subtle of flavors.

Then, you might find your flavor percentages diminish and like, you can flavor up to exquisite perfection.

But I would NOT be able to do it.

While it is in fact true everyone's different, knowing a certain RTA is well loved by MANY is a good thing to know, so visiting that forum is also wise.

I mean, I wouldn't point you to an Innoken Ares, for example I very much doubt anyone would.

Good luck

Anna

Mordacai

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2019
UK
@stylemessiah, Expromiser V4 uses a rubber grommet in the 510 connector instead of a PEEK insulator. It allows movement of the build deck components and 510 screw causing resistance changes, and the only way I can see to fix it properly is to use a non conductive washer as a shim and thus allow you to fully tighten the screw and stop any movement.

Problem would then be resolved.

Brandon David

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The problem with your question is what is the best to one person may not be the best to others. It's all subjective and requires a bit of time and $ to find what you like. The main thing that will play into finding your perfect tank will be what kind of draw you prefer. Even if it is direct lung, there are various levels of that. For instance, there are some great single coil tanks out there that are wide open that the airflow just isn't designed to cater to my preferred restricted lung hit so they aren't for me. Some tanks advertise themselves as being mouth to lung but the draw just isn't true mouth to lung as there is more to it than just having adjustable airflow to seal it off.

For instance, my go to pocket tank at the moment is an old kayfun 5. I generally like just a tad more airflow (similar to a serpent mini... another single coil tank I like) than it can provide but it's close enough to my wheel house that I like it a lot. The 5 was a big letdown to a lot of kayfun people when it came out because it does a poor job of executing mouth to lung (the kayfun line's primary target) without buying adapters to narrow the airflow internally. Without them, at it's lowest setting, it's just an extremely restricted direct lung so I can see why those people wouldn't care for it.

I've been through quite a few single coil tanks over the years and am on the lookout for another at the moment to try and replace the kayfun but haven't found exactly what I want to try yet.

It's all subjective.

RuiG

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 4, 2019
Portugal
Welcome to ECF :thumbs:

A rebuildable tank is only as good as the person rebuilding it.
Sure there are products to avoid out there.

There are a lot of great tanks around, old and new to the market.

See some reviews. Decide what kind of vaper you are. Define your budget. Educate and know yourself into vaping.

Stay safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread