Single or Dual

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I just switched from using Smoktech dual coils for about 4 months, to Smoktech single coils. So far I'm liking them a lot after about a week's use. I'm using them in my 7ml Triple V pyrex tanks and 3.5ml - 6ml Smoktech DCT tanks on a Silver Bullet and BB. I got them directly from the Smoktech website Single Coil XL Tank Cartomizer for the SmokTank XL.

I got them pre-drilled one and two hole in 2 oHm. Normal juices get the one hole, heavier/thicker juices get the two holed. The two-hole carto tank with Boba's Bounty is still a stiff draw, and I need to do a couple dry pulls before vaping. I may need to slot the carto for this one to get a decent vape, if it is possible to with this juice. The other tanks are vaping great...full flavor and productive vapor. No flooding or dry hits.

With the dual coils, I sometimes detected a burnt taste that never went away, despite there being adequate juice flow into the carto. I'd end up having to discard the carto. Especially with fruit flavors. These were 2.0 oHm dual coils. Maybe they were just too hot?

I decided to try single coils after reading some discussions here on the forums of dual vs single coil cartos. Some folks were saying that the dual coils won't shine unless they get 4.8v power. Also said they drain batteries faster than single coils. I think there may be at least a grain of truth to that...my batteries do seem to be lasting longer this week.

I had been punching my own cartos, with mixed results. I use the Phiniac/Siam Mod punch tool. I've been frustrated with the cartos often getting out of round/deformed to the point that they are difficult to pass thru the end caps, even with juice lubrication and the Slap Yo Moma tank tool. I've also had mixed results via slotting with a dremmel tool...usually the carto ends up flooding, although I slotted just as Pbsuardo does in his video. So, I decided to kill 2 birds with one stone -- buy some pre-drilled cartos and get them single coiled.

All things equal, I'm liking these single coils better than the duals. Apparent longer battery life, no burnt taste, and I like the hassle free use of the pre-punched cartos.

I'm ordering my first Provari tomorrow in either the new blue or white color, so I will probably experiment between single/dual cartos with variable/higher voltage.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread