Single vs Dual Coil - Same Voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violetti Usva

ECF Veteran
Dec 1, 2017
One of the posts on my Reload (clone) broke so I took out the coil and blocked out the excess surface area. I expected it to be hotter - I'm running it on a mech mod so the same voltage would be running through half the wire mass and I thought that higher resistance means more energy is lost as heat. To my surprise it's slightly cooler than before - where is my understanding wrong?

My thoughts are:
1) My attempt to block the excess surface area with a bit of cotton threaded through each airflow hole for the other coil isn't working very effectively and the vapour has more room to spread out and cool down in the chamber;
2) The amperage controls heat instead of resistance and I was previously mistaken?
3) You tell me :p

Reactions: stols001

rjeatkrconley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Hell Paso, Texas
One of the posts on my Reload (clone) broke so I took out the coil and blocked out the excess surface area. I expected it to be hotter - I'm running it on a mech mod so the same voltage would be running through half the wire mass and I thought that higher resistance means more energy is lost as heat. To my surprise it's slightly cooler than before - where is my understanding wrong?

My thoughts are:

2) The amperage controls heat instead of resistance and I was previously mistaken?

Correct. The same voltage supplied at different amperages produces different results.
In a mech mod, this is controlled by the resistance.
In a regulated mod, it's controlled by the board.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

Flavored

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
USA

My thoughts are:
1) My attempt to block the excess surface area with a bit of cotton threaded through each airflow hole for the other coil isn't working very effectively and the vapour has more room to spread out and cool down in the chamber;
3) You tell me :p
Watts (heat) = Volts X Amps . . . when you removed 1 coil, amps went down by 1/2, so 2 is kinda correct.

Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread