Single wire coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

smizak

ECF Veteran
Jan 13, 2018
Inspired by some things covered in the micro coil thread I decided to switch up from the twisted/flattened/clapton and go with single wire coils. 26AWG SS316L, 9 wraps@ 3mm. Excellent vapor production and flavor with almost no ramp up. Psyched about this build.
ba816a66af10d1b75056cde5ee0f6d43.jpg

charlie1465

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 30, 2014
Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
I was always strictly single wire because of the quick ramp up time but now i'm experimenting with various different clapton's but I must admit the ramp up is often a bit too long.

I may end up back on the single wire and the mesh all the time!!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Inspired by some things covered in the micro coil thread I decided to switch up from the twisted/flattened/clapton and go with single wire coils. 26AWG SS316L, 9 wraps@ 3mm. Excellent vapor production and flavor with almost no ramp up. Psyched about this build.
ba816a66af10d1b75056cde5ee0f6d43.jpg

There are always compromises. The goal, at least for myself, is to maximize surface area while trying to alleviate mass. One of the Clapton wire I use utilizes a SS ribbon core with a 40awg wrap. Comparing to your build, 5 wraps on a 3mm ID will triple your surface area and the difference in mass is minimal. However, it is also half the resistance.

There are exotic Clapton type coils out there that require a small nuclear reactor to heat up, but you can’t use the same brush to paint all Clapton’s with. The challenge is finding or making a coil that has that preferred balance of surface area, mass (which affects ramp up), and resistance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread