Status
Not open for further replies.

Ding

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2013
Molon Labe
Is there a standard size to wrap your coils.I mean like on a 1/8th inch rod,5/32 rod or is it up to you or does it depend on your type of replacement heads.I am using vivi nova and stardust 2.0 heads so far.I get the amount of wraps VS ohms thing.I have some 30 gauge a-1 kanthal and 2mm wick,figured I'd split the difference from 32G and 28G kanthal.

Is the size of the wrap made just to fit the wick or is there a standard or does it matter.

e30ernest

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2013
Philippines

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here's a size chart to define the inside diameter of a micro coil :
4ave6u4e.jpg

Here's a picture of a .055" 30 ga 2.2 ohm micro coil:
enuzaqyj.jpg

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
what did u wrap that around to get it so small?

That is .055" music wire. You could use a 16 ga luer lock needle or a 1/16" drill bit and it will be very close :). Just don't wanna go much bigger or performance will start to decline.

This is the jig I use with the piece of music wire:
utazu7ud.jpg

Here's a video of how I do em up with that jig:
http://youtu.be/_XjH8lFurPk

I switched back to 30ga wire and 10 wraps. It yields a 1.5 ish ohm micro coil that vapes unbelievably awesome :)

maf2k8

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2009
Chicago, IL
www.facebook.com
So generally, if I need not have access to a drill bit, is there a gauge of needle that is OK to use? - I've noticed that various vendors sell them in multiple gauge, like 14-20g.

If you have any of those micro screw drivers laying around your house, One of those will work fine also. You know the small screwdriver kits that everyone has laying somewhere in the house? Usually one of those will work perfectly fine.

You could use a toothpick possibly? but not sure how that would hold up never tried it.

When i first got into making micro coils i actually used a small threaded screw and let the screw do the wrapping and i twisted the screw with my fingers and it pulled the wire perfectly into the threads and when you go to heat it up and compress it, it might be tricky.

Pretty much any small household item or piece of hardware you have laying around will be fine. You don't have to be dead set accurate.

Last edited:

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
So generally, if I need not have access to a drill bit, is there a gauge of needle that is OK to use? - I've noticed that various vendors sell them in multiple gauge, like 14-20g.

Yes, 14-20g will give you a range of about 0.9 to 2mm diameter coils.

Pretty much any small household item or piece of hardware you have laying around will be fine. You don't have to be dead set accurate.

Just keep track of what you're using for consistency.

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
will a smaller micro coil produce a warmer vape? if I want less TH and heat should I opt for bigger size coils?

Perhaps other vapers with more experience under their belts can give a better answer, but IN GENERAL, yes, for the most part, I've found that with equal resistance, using the same gauge of wire, a micro coil will give me a warmer vape than a standard coil.

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
will a smaller micro coil produce a warmer vape? if I want less TH and heat should I opt for bigger size coils?

A micro coil is a very efficient coil because of heat transfer and surface area in contact with wick.

To reduce heat, you would build it to higher resistance - add wraps.

To reduce TH, you would position your coil directly behind the airhole, away from the posts and out by the edge of the deck and adjust the elevation of your coil in relation to the air hole to suit your TH preference.

Higher = more TH
Lower = less TH

too much wick in chamber can also raise TH levels.

Here is an ideal, 1.3 - 1.5 ohm micro coil and cotton wick in a cyclone ( very similar to IGO type RBAs )
GG21aSz.jpg

0vsTfej.jpg

ronpaek100

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 23, 2013
Los Angeles, CA
And here's a fact sheet and simplified size chart :)
DoCff73.jpg

I just watched all your YT videos very helpful even though I don't have a REO, thanks.

How come on the chart it says for a VV device aim for a minimum of 12 wraps and a resistance of 2.0 ohms or higher?

I heard some people claim that thicker wire produces better flavor than thinner gauge wire that's why I always try to make all my coils with the thickest wire that my device can read even though I get less ranges to vape with, is there any truth to this?

I vape on a KFL+ and the deck i'm working on somewhat limited in coil length

super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Ron, thanks man.

I hear a lot of VV devices won't fire below 1.5 ohms.

In other words, I think they cut off somewhere between 10 - 20 watts so if your resistance is too low it won't work.

Additionally, with the volts on tap with stacked batteries, you can use it to fire longer higher resistance coils for excellent results :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread