Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Snus would be a better option
Swedish Snus to be specific. The tobacco in them is steam pasteurized rather than flue cured. This minimizes production of the TSNAs, which are almost certainly what's responsible for the increased risk of oral cancer associated with domestic smokeless tobacco products. That said, I'm confident that even domestic smokeless products are safer than smoking.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Please, don't

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
What is the health difference here? Vaping isn't working for me because am not ready to quit tobacco substance. I might try skoal instead of smoking?

My Cousin loved Skoal. Told me once that he saw No Reason to quit. That is, until they told him he had Mucosal Cancer.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You could try skoal, if your desire is to ruin your teeth and gums (dentists LOATHE dipping tobacco) and I do believe the cancer rate is lower overall compared to tobacco as you are not igniting it. However, it's also a HUGE bolus of tobacco-chemical goodness, and probably isn't the greatest choice.

I would suggest Swedish snus over skoal myself, it's been proven to be as good a method of harm reduction compared to tobacco. I also know some folks in the smokeless tobacco forum are getting good results from Nic salt pouches, or even using them and adding a bit of "WTA" liquid (whole tobacco alkaloid eliquid) to achieve good results.

Perhaps you will find some of these options more satisfying than vaping OR smoking, although they can tend to be more expensive.

You cam try skoal if you wish. There are some significant downsides, and yes, it is possible to get jaw or mouth cancer (equally true of smoking really) although if I am understanding things correctly, dippers get less cancer overall than smokers, it might be a somewhat safer choice.

I have met many "long term" dippers and they have a very hard time (quite often) giving up the practice, later on down the line, so please be cautious. Skoal is not without risk, and often dippers transitioning to vaping have quite a hard time, due to the amounts they wind up consuming.

But, why not give it a try?

Also, do you ever like, give yourself time frames? For example, I will try vaping to reduce my dual use for two months, and see what happens? It's going to be hard to land anywhere unless you give something, ANYTHING a reasonable chance of working.

Also, you are a smoker. I was a smoker, and a 3 ppd one. I did not expect to transition to vaping without a certain measure of suffering (USING WTA, nic salts, etc.) and I did suffer. You are not going to know if vaping or anything is going to work for you without a certain measure of suffering for probably at LEAST a month, if not more. I spent my "suffering" time learning all about vaping, so I could best enjoy vaping once detox ended and my craving subsided.

I don't know that "vaping isn't working for you" I'm not sure you've given it enough time.

Best of luck as usual. Let us know how it goes. :)

Anna

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Long cut wintegreen Skoal is where it is at. They sell it in 5 can packs. Get some today.

Even better if you live in the South, because there chicks dig Skoal rings.
tumblr_m6wyesVd321rw2m5ho1_500.jpg

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
..........Vaping isn't working for me because am not ready to quit tobacco substance. I might try skoal instead of smoking?

I've enjoyed tobacco in its many forms for over half a century, I -love- the flavor. Even though I quit smoking five years ago I still enjoy the taste and lung feel of inhaling real tobacco flavor, but now I vape it.

Cigarettes: If I were still smoking cigarettes I'd likely be dead by now but if not I'd be spending at least $6K per year for the pleasure and another 10K per year for emphysema treatments/meds.

Snuff/Chewing tobacco: Sucking tobacco juice/spit never was my thing, I don't like dipping or chewing although back in the 70's I tried both on more than one occasion. Many of my friends dipped since they couldn't smoke where we were stationed at the time. With the possible exception of SNUS, dipping and chewing aren't risk free either. Throat cancer killed one of my friends and another had mouth cancer, both dipped (Skoal).

Pipe: This was my pleasure during the last decade of smoking. Although you don't deeply inhale like when smoking cigarettes it still takes a toll on your lungs and sinuses. I had a chronic nagging cough when I quit that was borderline disabling. This cough manifested back when I smoked cigarettes but didn't go away when I switched to smoking pipes.

Smokeless cigarettes: The flavor was so anemic I might as well have been mouthing candy cigarettes. Placebo effect for those able to be easily convinced something's actually there.

Vaping NET: Vaping Naturally extracted tobacco caused me to quit smoking. Within months my chronic cough disappeared completely and I could breath much easier. I get to enjoy the flavor of various tobaccos and blends (Latakia, Virginia, Perique, Oriental, Cavendish, etc..) but without burning them. Had WTAs been around back then I'd have mixed it in with the NETs, but I have no need/desire for it at this point. Since I make my own NETs it costs me less than $100 a year vaping ~10mls a day. Likely saved my life and costs next to nothing. Who says you can't have your cake and eat it too.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
You know, oral tobacco is even WORSE than smoking in my opinion.

I smoked for God knows how many years. Dipped Copenhagen at the same time. Always had a wad in my mouth. After about 5 years of Copenhagen, my gums were shot. Had to have a gum tissue graft to be able to keep my teeth. Let me tell you, that was no fun.

Saddest part was, after more years of smoking, I started dipping again AFTER already having a gum tissue graft. Talk about ridiculous. I honestly think oral tobacco like that is much more addictive than smoking even.

Do what you will, but with tobacco, you're either trashing your lungs or your mouth/teeth.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Please, don't

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I have a friend who dips. Tried to quit about the same time i quit smoking. He tried vaping, used a pen type vape with a kanger tank of some sort or other. He vaped for about 2 months and went back to dipping. Excuse was that vaping hurt his throat and lungs. Nevermind that he tried to get 2 months out of a coil or wouldnt explore other devices or juices other than a tobacco flavor. Never could figure it out. Probably couldnt handle PG very well. Told him not to come cryin when his lips fall off.

nicotineisbomb

Nov 24, 2017
Snus would be a better option if vaping freebase nicotine, nicotine salts or nicotine with WTA isn't working.
Alright, isn't there a flavor difference between? SNUS and SKOAL.
You know, oral tobacco is even WORSE than smoking in my opinion.

I smoked for God knows how many years. Dipped Copenhagen at the same time. Always had a wad in my mouth. After about 5 years of Copenhagen, my gums were shot. Had to have a gum tissue graft to be able to keep my teeth. Let me tell you, that was no fun.

Saddest part was, after more years of smoking, I started dipping again AFTER already having a gum tissue graft. Talk about ridiculous. I honestly think oral tobacco like that is much more addictive than smoking even.

Do what you will, but with tobacco, you're either trashing your lungs or your mouth/teeth.
You pointed out that you smoked and chewed at the same time, I wonder if this had an effect on the tissue graft more than if you just chewed by itself.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

nicotineisbomb

Nov 24, 2017
I have a friend who dips. Tried to quit about the same time i quit smoking. He tried vaping, used a pen type vape with a kanger tank of some sort or other. He vaped for about 2 months and went back to dipping. Excuse was that vaping hurt his throat and lungs. Nevermind that he tried to get 2 months out of a coil or wouldnt explore other devices or juices other than a tobacco flavor. Never could figure it out. Probably couldnt handle PG very well. Told him not to come cryin when his lips fall off.
Right, but I am comparing the dangers of cigarettes vs chewing the tobacco and it seems skoal would be the better choice for me as of the current situation, maybe not in the future.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Right, but I am comparing the dangers of cigarettes vs chewing the tobacco and it seems skoal would be the better choice for me as of the current situation, maybe not in the future.
No one here can quantify for you whether Skoal or smoking carries a greater danger. All you will ever get here is speculation. Put on your big girl pants and take responsibility for your own self and make a decisision on what you need to do for yourself. No one else can help you.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Smokeless cigarettes: The flavor was so anemic I might as well have been mouthing candy cigarettes. Placebo effect for those able to be easily convinced something's actually there.

You say that, but I knew a wrecker driver that chain smoked like crazy sitting around in his truck all day/night while working. He decided to quit and got a wooden dowel rod, the same size as a cig, cut it to length, and painted it to look semi-real. He used that to cut down and eventually quit. Essentially what he did was every other time he felt compelled to smoke he would just put that in his mouth and go through the motions, effectively cutting his smoking in half. Then he would do that 2 out of 3 times he wanted a smoke, and just kept going down in smokes until all he needed was the harmless wooden stick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread