Slang Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubs58

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
Texas
Ok, I was asked by someone in here to give suggestions when I saw fit so here goes...
Ive noticed that when we talk and give suggestions we use sayings such as "atty" "cart" etc...and we think everyone knows what we mean. I dissagree!! Ive read some questions that boggle my mind in here & sometimes wonder how some of these people function from day to day. I also think once we feel like "we" know something we leave it out of our vocabulary and assume that the person were writing to knows what we mean..Nope ! I think it confuses us even more!! Im Proof;

I was confused when some people would say, re-fill your carts or, top off that cart, blow that cart out etc..and then some would talk about "cartomizers" filling them etc, and by the end of the thread, some would just use the word cart and I never knew if they were meaning cart or carto...(Ok, I knew but since some may not) the point being...

So, for my suggestion of the month I would say be carefull of how we try to teach, (we all are newbs) as many might not "fully understand" what we mean (and rightfully so) !!

Happy vaping 2010

stalnakerz

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Dawsonville, GA
I do agree with you to a point. It doesn't take long for new members to pick up the lingo. besides the link given above..you might take notice of the unlines on most abreviations..like ECF, atty, SJ ect. run your cursor over them.

Never noticed the SJ rollover before, awesome!

I think this is where new members have an obligation to at least do a LITTLE research when they join. I haven't been on here for long, but as soon as I saw someone say carto in a post, I looked around to find out what a carto was.

Edit: Just noticed that carto doesn't have a rollover. ECF folks may want to add that one in since it's so well used these days.

Last edited:

Dubs58

ECF Veteran
May 30, 2010
Texas
I do agree with you to a point. It doesn't take long for new members to pick up the lingo. besides the link given above..you might take notice of the unlines on most abreviations..like ECF, atty, SJ ect. run your cursor over them.

I think you all are missing my point, its not about the underline feature:rolleyes: Wait..nevermind, I'll just agree with ya'll. All they have to do when we're talking about something is hover their mouse over the words and they will understand the concept, gotcha!

stalnakerz

ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Dawsonville, GA
I think you all are missing my point, its not about the underline feature:rolleyes: Wait..nevermind, I'll just agree with ya'll. All they have to do when we're talking about something is hover their mouse over the words and they will understand the concept, gotcha!

Actually, I think is see your point very well now.

The rollover gives the newbie the full name (i.e. atty=atomizer).

Newbie does a search on the forums for atomizer to figure out the definition

Search reveals tons of posts with atomizer in them and newbie is left to either post in the forum asking what an atomizer is or search the web or a wiki outside of ECF to find the answer.

So the solution would be to have a sticky with actual definitions of the words or abbreviations we use most in the forum. In this case, the rollover would show atty=atomizer and inside of the sticky it would have that the atomizer is the portion of the e-cig that takes in liquid from the cartridge and, using battery power, atomizes the liquid into a vapor that can be drawn into the lungs in much the same manner as a smoker draws in smoke from the cigarette.

Is that what you were thinking or am I totally off still?

Would be easier to say this: If your new, do a little research. If you are confused about something in particular, ask.

The lingo is not that tough to learn with just a bit of research, and honestly, if they cant understand something and are not smart enough to ask, maybe the whole e-cig concept will just be a little over their head?? Maybe e-cigs arent for everyone?? ( and when I say e-cig, what I really mean is an electronic cigarette which can also be referred to as a PV, or personal vaporizor, or in other words, a device which we put e-liquid into which heats up and creates a "vapor" which the person "inhales" to simulate the act of smoking....I will get to "e-liquid" later)

ab357

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Chgo., IL.
Gee Dubs, you mean a newbie might not understand what I mean when I say "remove your ....-plug before using the condom fill method combined with the Taryn spin"?
Seems perfectly clear to me.
:)

LOL! Maybe someone should make a post in the Forum Suggestions sub forum a request for a sticky with definitions/instructions along with the abbreviations.

Wait... isn't that already covered in DonDaBoomVape's tutorial;)

Tornado Eric

Moved On
Jul 23, 2010
Wichita Falls Texas
  • Deleted by AngusATAT

Tornado Eric

Moved On
Jul 23, 2010
Wichita Falls Texas
  • Deleted by AngusATAT

darkling56

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2010
Arizona
Ok heres my 2 cents,

I am about as new as you can get here, but I think that if you want to venture into this you must be prepared to do your homework.

A person must spend the time to read read read, learn learn learn.

I guess I am fortunate. I only spent 20 bucks on a cheapo ecig that lasted about one hour but I knew this was for me. I then found this site and was able to learn what products to buy and what to avoid if I want a good experience.

But then again, I was a Professional Student for 16 years........guess research is second nature for me

:p

:2c: If that's the reason they don't try or stick with ecigs, then the desire wasn't there very bad. I came here with the sole purpose to research ecigs in the beginning. I don't feel I should have to break everything down because someone won't do the same, I also feel I'd be doing them an injustice by doing so allowing them to continue without researching.

I find it utterly amazing going to a sub forum and the people who won't/don't read the rules before posting. Heck I bet if we did I poll over 1/2 the people haven't read the rules for the site.

GiMante

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 14, 2010
So Cal
www.VaperSociety.com
Ok heres my 2 cents,

I am about as new as you can get here, but I think that if you want to venture into this you must be prepared to do your homework.

A person must spend the time to read read read, learn learn learn.

I agree with this. I was pretty overwhelmed at first but I knew I wanted to learn about vaping and I did exactly that, read read read.

t9c

ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2010
Houston
I know I felt overwhelmed with the lingo at first, but once I actually got my 1st e-cig kit and saw everything there, got it in my hands & started using it, etc. suddenly it all became very clear.

We need to consider the poster's post count and status (how long they've been vaping) before replying "RTFM!" This is much too polite a group to stoop to that level, IMO. We all have a common goal, which is to educate.

To a whole lot of folks, internet forums are something very new & different. We should cut them a little slack.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't think most newbies even think about reading reading threads like,

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/new-members-forum/61195-abbreviations.html

Or doing an ECF search Before they ask their questions.

How many posts do you see in the newbie section that ask.

How do I fill a Cartomizer?
How do I clean an atty?
What does it mean when the LED blinks?
How long should I charge my battery.

I know there newbies and I know there is very few threads that answer these questions. If a newbie is doesn't want to do a little searching for an answer that is fine. But do we have to say type Atomizer instead of atty?

BTW - Newbie = "A New Member who has limited knowledge or a low post count."

abrv. ANMWHLOALPC

mistinthewoods

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 4, 2010
Brooklyn, MI
I both agree and disagree.
AGREE- Usually when I post a reply the first time in the post I use the long word like yesterday I was telling someone to try a cartomizer. First I called it a "cartomizer" then I started calling it a "carto".

DISAGREE- If they're that new it doesn't really matter what we're calling it. To a really new person we may as well be calling it a "schmooskaboob" wether we call it "atty" or "atomizer" they'll need to learn what it is.

I think I can usually tell if the OP is somewhat familiar with the lingo and I taylor my responses accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread