Slipped up and started smoking again :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
I'm a complete idiot, i really do need help, my mrs smokes, everybody around me smokes and i ended up slipping up, i started i believe around november, it's really gutting.... i had so many great friends in the vaping world too, how did you completely stop?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
I'm a complete idiot, i really do need help, my mrs smokes, everybody around me smokes and i ended up slipping up, i started i believe around november, it's really gutting.... i had so many great friends in the vaping world too, how did you completely stop?

Hi Nathan,
Welcome back. :nun:
Merry Crimbo and happy new year!

It's spring, (sorry, no snow here) so it's a great time to try this vaping thing again.

If you need anything bro, PM me.
Cheers
I

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
Hi Nathan,
Welcome back. :nun:
Merry Crimbo and happy new year!

It's spring, (sorry, no snow here) so it's a great time to try this vaping thing again.

If you need anything bro, PM me.
Cheers
I
How you getting on mate? Good to hear from you, happy new year hope you had a good'un, well you're in spain so of course you did lol

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Sheer willpower.

I also quit around smokers. .. I remember once I was sitting there trying to deal with my withdrawals only a few days into switching to vaping, and my sister in law came to visit who was smoking at the time, and she was literally blowing smoke in my face... I wanted a cigarette so bad at that point I was shaking..

My husband also smoked in the house and around me. .. curled up in bed every morning he'd be smoking, and I'd be trying to make it through withdrawals...

When you quit around people who smoke around you, the withdrawals seem more intense because the temptation is always within reach - but at the same time, because you are quitting around it and with it within reach, you will also be able to deal with being around smokers easier as a non smoker without caving in, in time. For me it didnt take long before I simply didn't want a cigarette, even though I was around it...

I quit smoking (via vaping) almost four years ago...

You can do this, even around smokers... it's NOT easy, you just have to keep reminding yourself why your vaping. My health was a powerful motivation for me... you need to find that realization for you, and remind yourself of it even if you need sticky notes.

Also, some self help quotes in sticky notes helps too.. (what doesn't kill us makes us stronger is a good one, pain is weakness leaving the body could work, I used scriptural verses mainly, so if your a person of faith you might try scripture.)

But never ever loose sight of why your vaping.

A set back is a set back. Everyone falls, the only losers are those who refuse to get back up again.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I quit surrounded by smokers and my husband was smoking at the time (he is going through his own quit now).

What helped me was reminding myself that (unless I moved to the Sahara desert and maybe not even then) I could obtain tobacco whenever *I* wanted. The world around me wasn't going to change at my desire, so it really didn't matter if tobacco was a hand reach away, or driving to the nearest gas station. I was also really ill when I decided to quit, and that actually worked in my favor. When I knew COPD was approaching, it was the final hurdle I needed to decide to quit. (Granted, it took about 18 months of straight pneumonia).

I don't know if it's willpower, so much as attitude. I don't tend to have much willpower over such matters until I drastically alter my attitude. I was so miserable smoking by the end, I had the attitude of "I must do this no matter WHAT." I dual used for a bit (a couple weeks) as I was dialing in a vape that worked for me, and encountered a few headaches and speed bumps along the way. I also fell (catastrophically) off the wagon a few times during stressful situations, but how I felt the next day reminded me why I needed to quit, and really wanted to quit. I'm glad I smoked LOT falling off the wagon because that first cigarette is always going to taste FANTASTIC to me, no matter what. So it was a matter of just deciding my priorities, and then suffering for a while.

I will say WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid juice) helped me quite a bit. It doesn't work for everyone, but it really helped me get over the hump with the tar/detox thing . Stopping WTA is a lot easier than quitting smoking, although I still keep some around for those "stressful" moments. Good makers include Aroma, Umbavape, and Ohms Vapor. A little bit can make a big difference durig the transition, although if you got to vaping before without it, I imagine you can again.

I think support and having people rooting for you makes a big difference, too. Welcome back, and I hope you meet with success.

The people who do seem to sort of accept that cigarettes remain available (sometimes in one's face) and that this fact doesn't give them any reason to "slip back" to smoking. Sure, I WANTED the husbands cigarettes, but for the most part, I just refused to smoke them. Temptation is really never more than a 5 minute drive away.... In my case, anyway. And yes, I still buy gas, I still enter the gas station, I still see the shiny packs of tobacco, I just do not purchase them.

You'll need to figure out your reasons and rationales for quitting smoking, and stick to them.

Best of luck!

Anna

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
I quit surrounded by smokers and my husband was smoking at the time (he is going through his own quit now).

What helped me was reminding myself that (unless I moved to the Sahara desert and maybe not even then) I could obtain tobacco whenever *I* wanted. The world around me wasn't going to change at my desire, so it really didn't matter if tobacco was a hand reach away, or driving to the nearest gas station. I was also really ill when I decided to quit, and that actually worked in my favor. When I knew COPD was approaching, it was the final hurdle I needed to decide to quit. (Granted, it took about 18 months of straight pneumonia).

I don't know if it's willpower, so much as attitude. I don't tend to have much willpower over such matters until I drastically alter my attitude. I was so miserable smoking by the end, I had the attitude of "I must do this no matter WHAT." I dual used for a bit (a couple weeks) as I was dialing in a vape that worked for me, and encountered a few headaches and speed bumps along the way. I also fell (catastrophically) off the wagon a few times during stressful situations, but how I felt the next day reminded me why I needed to quit, and really wanted to quit. I'm glad I smoked LOT falling off the wagon because that first cigarette is always going to taste FANTASTIC to me, no matter what. So it was a matter of just deciding my priorities, and then suffering for a while.

I will say WTA (whole tobacco alkaloid juice) helped me quite a bit. It doesn't work for everyone, but it really helped me get over the hump with the tar/detox thing . Stopping WTA is a lot easier than quitting smoking, although I still keep some around for those "stressful" moments. Good makers include Aroma, Umbavape, and Ohms Vapor. A little bit can make a big difference durig the transition, although if you got to vaping before without it, I imagine you can again.

I think support and having people rooting for you makes a big difference, too. Welcome back, and I hope you meet with success.

The people who do seem to sort of accept that cigarettes remain available (sometimes in one's face) and that this fact doesn't give them any reason to "slip back" to smoking. Sure, I WANTED the husbands cigarettes, but for the most part, I just refused to smoke them. Temptation is really never more than a 5 minute drive away.... In my case, anyway. And yes, I still buy gas, I still enter the gas station, I still see the shiny packs of tobacco, I just do not purchase them.

You'll need to figure out your reasons and rationales for quitting smoking, and stick to them.

Best of luck!

Anna

Thank you, I've had a long chat with my mrs and she's decided to quit too!, both picked up a couple of Smok Prince Kits to get us started

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
Sheer willpower.

I also quit around smokers. .. I remember once I was sitting there trying to deal with my withdrawals only a few days into switching to vaping, and my sister in law came to visit who was smoking at the time, and she was literally blowing smoke in my face... I wanted a cigarette so bad at that point I was shaking..

My husband also smoked in the house and around me. .. curled up in bed every morning he'd be smoking, and I'd be trying to make it through withdrawals...

When you quit around people who smoke around you, the withdrawals seem more intense because the temptation is always within reach - but at the same time, because you are quitting around it and with it within reach, you will also be able to deal with being around smokers easier as a non smoker without caving in, in time. For me it didnt take long before I simply didn't want a cigarette, even though I was around it...

I quit smoking (via vaping) almost four years ago...

You can do this, even around smokers... it's NOT easy, you just have to keep reminding yourself why your vaping. My health was a powerful motivation for me... you need to find that realization for you, and remind yourself of it even if you need sticky notes.

Also, some self help quotes in sticky notes helps too.. (what doesn't kill us makes us stronger is a good one, pain is weakness leaving the body could work, I used scriptural verses mainly, so if your a person of faith you might try scripture.)

But never ever loose sight of why your vaping.

A set back is a set back. Everyone falls, the only losers are those who refuse to get back up again.

Love that quote, "The only losers are those who refuse to get back up again" , you've just gave me inspiration not just for quitting smoking, but for my contact sports also, thank you

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

You're Not an Idiot Nayngnottz94. You are just someone who Smoked Again.

Last Week or Last Month or Last year is the Past. Can't change that. So best to Let It Go and Focus on what is Really Important. And that is Today.

So What do You Want to Happen Today?

If you want to Quit Smoking again, a Good Place to start would be to Figure Out what made you go back to Smoking? And then Fix that. Else what is to stop you from going Back to smoking again once you Quit?

When I Smoked, I used to tell people that Quitting Smoking is Easy. That I had done it 4 or 5 times. It's Staying Quit that is the Hard Part. And for that you need a Plan. A Plan that you make ahead of times.

So what is Your Plan going to be?

Get More Exercise?
Eat Better?
Put a Rubber Band on your Wrist when you Leave the House?
Take a Walk when you are in a Situation when cornered by Smokers?
Avoid Situations where you are surrounded by Smokers?
Call Someone when you are Tempted to Smoke?
Tell EVERYONE you know who Smokes to Never give you a Cigarette if you Ask for one?
Carry some Higher Nicotine in a Back-Up e-Cigarette just in Case your D2D e-Liquid won't work?

Trust Me, it's Better to get a Plan Now than it is to try and formulate one when you are surrounded by Smokers and that Voice in your Head says that having Just One is OK.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
How you getting on mate? Good to hear from you, happy new year hope you had a good'un, well you're in spain so of course you did lol
N,
The family is healthy and the days fly past. Thanks for askin'.

It's good to see you back!

Keep the faith.

Cheers
I

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 6, 2016
You're Not an Idiot Nayngnottz94. You are just someone who Smoked Again.

Last Week or Last Month or Last year is the Past. Can't change that. So best to Let It Go and Focus on what is Really Important. And that is Today.

So What do You Want to Happen Today?

If you want to Quit Smoking again, a Good Place to start would be to Figure Out what made you go back to Smoking? And then Fix that. Else what is to stop you from going Back to smoking again once you Quit?

When I Smoked, I used to tell people that Quitting Smoking is Easy. That I had done it 4 or 5 times. It's Staying Quit that is the Hard Part. And for that you need a Plan. A Plan that you make ahead of times.

So what is Your Plan going to be?

Get More Exercise?
Eat Better?
Put a Rubber Band on your Wrist when you Leave the House?
Take a Walk when you are in a Situation when cornered by Smokers?
Avoid Situations where you are surrounded by Smokers?
Call Someone when you are Tempted to Smoke?
Tell EVERYONE you know who Smokes to Never give you a Cigarette if you Ask for one?
Carry some Higher Nicotine in a Back-Up e-Cigarette just in Case your D2D e-Liquid won't work?

Trust Me, it's Better to get a Plan Now than it is to try and formulate one when you are surrounded by Smokers and that Voice in your Head says that having Just One is OK.
Well i just got a little stupid, Being on this forum daily will help me, always something new to try in the vaping world be it new juices, new RTA's, new builds etc new mods, so much better than smoking, this forum really does have a great community, it's like going to your local pub and talking with friends over a few beers!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Well i just got a little stupid, Being on this forum daily will help me, always something new to try in the vaping world be it new juices, new RTA's, new builds etc new mods, so much better than smoking, this forum really does have a great community, it's like going to your local pub and talking with friends over a few beers!
    I was going to suggest that, but frequent forum participation isn't for everyone. I include multiple forums, Reddit, and FB.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

We have All Slipped at Times. So Don't be too hard yourself. The Key is to Get Back Up and get what you Want.

You can Make It. Because you did it Before.

Just get a After Quitting Plan going so when the Stupid starts to slip it, you have a way to Avoid it.

:)

Ragnar94

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 6, 2016
    We have All Slipped at Times. So Don't be too hard yourself. The Key is to Get Back Up and get what you Want.

You can Make It. Because you did it Before.

Just get a After Quitting Plan going so when the Stupid starts to slip it, you have a way to Avoid it.

:)
    Like i just said to my mrs we'll save so much money vaping and we'll be able to do things we couldn't before

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    Like i just said to my mrs we'll save so much money vaping and we'll be able to do things we couldn't before
    It is certainly possible to do that in the long run, once you get settled with gear you're happy with, and especially if you mix your own juice, but most vapers do not save huge amounts early on. So don't expect too much, too soon.

Now maybe this will help: I'm over 4 years into it and the amount I've spent on consumables in the last ~1.5 years is precisely $0.00.

FXChronicles

Jun 9, 2018
    Don't call yourself an idiot. Maybe, it's just not your time yet.

As for me, I still very much remember the last night that I smoked. I had bought my vape mod and I had planned to stop smoking after I finished the last pack. I set my heart to do this.

I had quite a few sticks left that should've me lasted me 2 days but I was hanging out with this new friend that ended up emptying the pack! And that was it for me. Yes I planned to stop but I did not plan to stop that night, but I did. Switched to vaping and never looked back since.

Reactions: stols001

ajbr

May 7, 2017
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I was a dual user for a long time before quitting cigs completely 7 years ago. I made up my mind that my last smoke would be on a Sunday so I took my ashtray filled with spent butts on Sunday night, added a little water and placed it on my patio. Over the next few weeks whenever I felt the urge to smoke I went outside a took a whiff from the ashtray. It was disgusting and I went inside and had a vape. This may seem crazy, but it worked for me. I also recommend having a supply of very high Nic juice available when you first quit for good. In addition, get a JUUL which will also very closely mimic the Nic hit from a cig.
    Best of luck-You are not an idiot-it can be done but most of us do need some sort of crutch when finally quitting!!

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Eh, I had a smoking relapse a few days ago, right after my anniversary (1 year as it happens). I'm attempting to taper at the moment, stress is my Kryptonite. I'm really trying, but things have been a lot stressful.

I know what worked before will work again, and frankly, I have more practice. It happens. I'm not beating myself senseless over it, just trying to remediate it.

It's a lot better than 3 ppd but man... Stress is just haaard. Good luck,

Anna

ajbr

May 7, 2017
    Melbourne, Fl.
    Eh, I had a smoking relapse a few days ago, right after my anniversary (1 year as it happens). I'm attempting to taper at the moment, stress is my Kryptonite. I'm really trying, but things have been a lot stressful.

I know what worked before will work again, and frankly, I have more practice. It happens. I'm not beating myself senseless over it, just trying to remediate it.

It's a lot better than 3 ppd but man... Stress is just haaard. Good luck,

Anna
    Hang in there!! A small relapse is far better than giving up completely. I did that two or three times before finally quitting. We are all pulling for you!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread