Slow Wicking Problem. Please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratus.vaping

ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2018
UK & much further East.
I have warm water washed in an emergency with gunked but not burnt coils, I found that the cotton usually distorts in some way when drying, shrinking or expanding etc sometimes detrimentally to wicking ability. Soaking them made that worse, a very quick wash under a jet of water worked best.

I agree about DTL being too much for some ready mades, I now love my squonk like a baby. Please don't tell my grandkids!

Rots8t - what liquid are you using? Some sweet varieties gum up coils very quickly, reducing the wicking action. I gave up Taste of Gods in drop in coils due to that.

Reactions: DeloresRose

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
The only way I can really use it is to open the vape where you fill it. I've been told that this lets air into the tank relieving the vacuum created when using the vape and thus pushing liquid into the wick.
Your understanding is a bit backwards. The tank is sealed on the sides and top, and plugged by cotton at the bottom. The cotton plug is dense enough to prevent the liquid from flowing out on its own, but when dry, the wick will draw out some liquid from the tank via capillary action. This causes negative pressure in the tank, and a bubble of air is then drawn back through the cotton to partially offset the pressure. The residual negative pressure is what holds the remaining liquid in the tank so it doesn't leak. Removing the top cap for a short time equalizes the pressure and allows the cotton to quickly saturate, which is useful during priming.

The problem that you are describing is that your wick is not saturating properly on its own. The cause is overly dense wicking or overly viscous e.liquid.

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Some sweet varieties gum up coils very quickly, reducing the wicking action. I gave up Taste of Gods in drop in coils due to that.
This was going to be my best guess as what was happening. I'm glad to hear you got the problem figured out. Now you can sit back and relax while exploring the best e-cig forum on the internet. Oh, hello and welcome to ECF. Hang around and you will soon be offering advice to other members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread