Status
Not open for further replies.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
What is the smallest multimeter you've seen? I'm looking for something that I could carry on me all the time (I have a regular dmm and an ohm checker at home) so I'd want it to be as tiny as possible. As it will be for on the go quick checks it doesn't need to be terribly precise. I live in Europe so I won't be ordering from the US, but feel free to provide links to over there as well. That way I'll be able to check what's out there and be better able to compare to what's available over here.

Thanks in advance!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
I was given 4 Uni-T 10A mini "shirt pocket" multi-meters a year or so ago, at an electronics trade show. They're about the size of a old style Motorola Razr flip phone, but thinner. Weigh maybe 6-7 ounces. Real cheap at around $10... perhaps the reason they were giving them away. ;-)

My favorite however is the Amprobe PM51A. It's smaller, lighter (than the Uni-T)... not inexpensive for it's size, but of much better quality than the Uni-T. The only down side (at least for me) is it doesn't have standardized test lead ports, so I can't use my Tech Thing milli-ohm adapter with it.

Wow1420

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2013
Somewhere out there

inswva

Do you even squonk, bro?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 19, 2014

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
At the risk of speaking for the OP, I'm guessing he's looking for something to accurately measure resistance below 1ohm. It is definitely small though!
Yeah, with a 4A Max it isn't good much below an ohm. Also you can't use it for short-testing since it is powered by the PV...
It is kind of a neat toy though, and for what it does it works pretty well. Hard to read the numbers while you're vaping, though!

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
At the risk of speaking for the OP, I'm guessing he's looking for something to accurately measure resistance below 1ohm. It is definitely small though!
Yes, and I'm also (and possibly more importantly) looking for something that'll let me check my battery voltage when I'm travelling. I did find a smallish dmm on fasttech (10 x5 or 6 - too drunk at the moment to find the link, the record release of Crucified Barbara, check out the band), but it would be great with something the size of a match box (a box of lucifers in Dutch, I kid you not) - not counting the probes of course. I'll not find anything that small I'm sure, but one can hope...

Rickajho

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 23, 2011
Boston MA
Another place to look for meters is Deal Extreme. DealeXtreme - Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - DX Free Shipping Worldwide They have several small ones - the type that come with a "fold over" cover with leads permanently attached. And others with detachable leads. For the sake of testing battery voltage and checking for shorts any of them would work fine, but as with any of the low end meters they don't do well for accurate resistance readings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread