SMOK AL85 question(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCzerniak83

May 20, 2015
I’ve used a couple of AL85 mods now because I like pretty much everything about it (and when I find something that works, I don’t tend to change it). Anyway, a couple questions, which are novice level, but I couldn’t find the answers anywhere else.

1) how do mods like this “detect” the resistance? And why doesn’t it always display the same ohms? Sometimes I’ll put a new 0.4Ω cook in, and initial resistance will show up as .412Ω whereas I’ll put in the next new 0.4Ω coil and the initial ohms will be detected at .389Ω

So how does the mod know exactly what the resistance is, down to the .xxx? I’ve read somewhere that not every coil is exactly alike, some may have extra wire, or whatnot, but not sure what’s true.

2) Should I adjust the initial ohm level to the level of the coil? I use 0.4Ω but it never shows the initial ohms as 0.4, so should I change it to 0.4 or does it matter? I’ve noticed a few times where I put the coil in and it “detected” at .412, so I changed it to .400 and it burnt just a tad.

I know it seems like common sense to say don’t change it, but I’ve heard that initial ohms aren’t necessarily the same as they are in mid-vape...That initial resistance is just the—you guesses it— *initial* resistance, lol. It’s all so confusing, so I’d appreciate any novice love & advice. Thanks [emoji1689]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
any coil is going to be slightly different.... +/- .05 and also after placing the wick and juicing it up it may change a bit and then while heating up or cooling down it may fluctuate... but it shouldn't do more than .02 +/-
at least that's what i've noticed, unless you have a faulty atty or 510 connector on the mod, then the ohm can jump around a lot....

NPCz83

Moved On
Feb 28, 2019
Pennsylvania
Don't lock your coil settings except for some very specific instances.

For one, coils have minor differences in manufacture, and for two, coils fluctuating a bit during vaping is somewhat normal.

I would say, don't do it.

Anna

Thanks for the reply...

There is no “locking.” The coils are SMOK TFV8 Q2’s so there’s no wicking or direct dripping. The way the AL85 works is, when you put in a new coil, it detects it and auto sets the ohms, which the coils packaging says 0.4, but the auto detection always puts them at random numbers close to that, but always off. Usually between 0.390 and .410

The mod gives user the ability to adjust “initial” ohms, so I’m curious 1) how mods can auto detect premade coils 2) if those are the correct ohms or if I should set the initial ohms back to 0.4

Thanks for the reply. I’m not an experienced vaper so these may be stupid questions. I mean I’ve been vaping for 5+ years but never got into the tech side of it.

{When you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change}

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Thanks for the reply...

There is no “locking.” The coils are SMOK TFV8 Q2’s so there’s no wicking or direct dripping. The way the AL85 works is, when you put in a new coil, it detects it and auto sets the ohms, which the coils packaging says 0.4, but the auto detection always puts them at random numbers close to that, but always off. Usually between 0.390 and .410

The mod gives user the ability to adjust “initial” ohms, so I’m curious 1) how mods can auto detect premade coils 2) if those are the correct ohms or if I should set the initial ohms back to 0.4

Thanks for the reply. I’m not an experienced vaper so these may be stupid questions. I mean I’ve been vaping for 5+ years but never got into the tech side of it.

Just let the device detect the resistance of the coil. It may not be what is advertised on the side of the coil head, but no need to make any changes to try and match. There are many variables as to why a coil does not read as it is advertised. A small variance in resistance is normal.

With a regulated device, like the AL85, coil resistance is irrelevant as long as it falls within the devices operating range. You set your power to your liking.

Allowing the adjustment of resistance in a coil is used for Temperature Control. It has no use for wattage mode.

And there are no stupid questions.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I’ve used a couple of AL85 mods now because I like pretty much everything about it (and when I find something that works, I don’t tend to change it). Anyway, a couple questions, which are novice level, but I couldn’t find the answers anywhere else.

1) how do mods like this “detect” the resistance? And why doesn’t it always display the same ohms? Sometimes I’ll put a new 0.4Ω cook in, and initial resistance will show up as .412Ω whereas I’ll put in the next new 0.4Ω coil and the initial ohms will be detected at .389Ω

So how does the mod know exactly what the resistance is, down to the .xxx? I’ve read somewhere that not every coil is exactly alike, some may have extra wire, or whatnot, but not sure what’s true.

2) Should I adjust the initial ohm level to the level of the coil? I use 0.4Ω but it never shows the initial ohms as 0.4, so should I change it to 0.4 or does it matter? I’ve noticed a few times where I put the coil in and it “detected” at .412, so I changed it to .400 and it burnt just a tad.

I know it seems like common sense to say don’t change it, but I’ve heard that initial ohms aren’t necessarily the same as they are in mid-vape...That initial resistance is just the—you guesses it— *initial* resistance, lol. It’s all so confusing, so I’d appreciate any novice love & advice. Thanks [emoji1689]

There are many reasons as to why your device does not read the resistance as it is displayed on the side of the coil. For one, the resistance advertised on the coil is not 100% accurate. Manufactures will round off the number to make it more attractive. The atomizer and device will also have their own resistance which could contribute to the reading. AND, the device it self may not be 100% accurate. Precision electronics used to measure resistance are pretty pricey….not an attractive option for a vape device.

As long as your resistance falls within a comfortable range, there is no need to be concerned with its accuracy. You adjust the power to your liking.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain

Thanks for the reply...

If it is close, it is fine. IMO, the Smok ohm adjustment feature is to be ignored.
Resistance wire has a predetermined resistance per length of wire.
The device sends a current through the wire and "estimates" its resistance based upon the amount of current that come out the other side.

Stop looking at the screen and just vape.

(BTW- do you have TWO open and active ECF accounts? Tsk tsk tsk)

Cheers
I

NPCz83

Moved On
Feb 28, 2019
Pennsylvania
If it is close, it is fine. IMO, the Smok ohm adjustment feature is to be ignored.
Resistance wire has a predetermined resistance per length of wire.
The device sends a current through the wire and "estimates" its resistance based upon the amount of current that come out the other side.

Stop looking at the screen and just vape.

Cheers
I

I must have created one for Tapatalk and one for ECF thinking they’re the same. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. [emoji1689] and thanks for helping me understand the auto detection of coils!

• Agree

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I must have created one for Tapatalk and one for ECF thinking they’re the same.

Don’t know if @classwife can help with that, if not she can direct you to the moderator or admin staff that can. But best to inform them of your error and deal with the dual accounts before any repercussions.

NCzerniak83

May 20, 2015

Cheers
I

I did, somehow. Lol. I made one years ago and just hadn’t used it. Then I guess I made a new one, not realizing I already had one. They deleted my duplicate and now I’m using this one. Back to doing it proper. [emoji851]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread