Smok Mag 225 Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Curious about both mod and tank, so hope this is OK in the general forum. If not, mods feel free to move.

Not that I need anything, but don't mind treating myself once in a while. So checking if something comes up for Black Friday or a Xmas gift to myself. I first saw a report on the kit and looked interesting to me.

SMOK MAG 225W TC Starter Kit | Includes TFV12 Prince Sub-Ohm Tank

I'm liking the looks of the mod. The "grip" form looks like it would be more secure in my wonky hands and the "trigger" fire button should be almost impossible to miss. While I prefer to get a new purchase in my hands before buying, I'm not sure if my shop will ever get them in......and not sure I want to wait to find out and what they will charge.

The tank is the new TFV12 Prince tank. I had little/no interest in the original TFV12, but am liking the bubble glass (more volume), the locking top fill, that it comes with 3 different coils to try, and the nice matchy drip tip. I see the tank currently available, but like the pricing for the kit. DJLsB gave it a pretty good review, so may be worth a try.

So, curious on thoughts on the mod and if anybody has tried the TFV12 Prince tank?

jfcooley

I find your lack of faith disturbing...
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Charlottesville, Virginia
I've seen reviews that were positive in both. Mike Vapes did a pretty good review on the mod. Seems the device is solid and has a nice finish. Would imagine the resin is pretty durable, looked good. Fired quickly and easy to navigate.

As for the Prince, only user comments. Most seem to be Smok users and satisfied.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I hate to rain on your parade, but I have not had great experiences with SMOK products.

I had a mechanical mod (Gripper) made by SMOKtech a few years ago. It was "ok", but was used infrequently as a stealth mod. Used their cartomizers for my cartotanks back in the day. Worked in a vape shop in 2014; SMOK products were considered like a poor redheaded stepchild by management. I just know that I tend to steer clear of SMOK products....period.

My son had a SMOK regulated mod and tank last year. I don't know how well he treated it, but I do know it only lasted him a few months.

YMMV

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
SMXBBY-2T.jpg
I'm thinking of a different model. Haven't seen this one. Have to search out the other.

Edit: Majesty. Read/watch too many reviews.

Last edited:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
If id get this in canada I would probably end up being shot or something lmfao.
Pretty sure something like that is gonna happen someday with a mod like this tbh :p

It would seem a bit of a stretch for this to appear any different in hand then any other mod. But if/when it does happen to somebody carrying a mod, should it be this one I am sure it's form will be pointed out.

I've seen reviews that were positive in both. Mike Vapes did a pretty good review on the mod. Seems the device is solid and has a nice finish. Would imagine the resin is pretty durable, looked good. Fired quickly and easy to navigate.

As for the Prince, only user comments. Most seem to be Smok users and satisfied.

I was typing this when you made your second post and was going to ask since haven't seen any reviews on the mod yet. Thanks.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I wasn't sure how to rate your post since I can't "like" nor "Disagree", so....

I hate to rain on your parade, but........

Your not raining on my parade (not sure about ...... down my leg :shock:). I've read most and even replied to some of the anti-Smok posts, even by some who never even tried a Smok product. But I'm not going to bore anybody with my normal response. Each of us has our own likes/dislikes. While I have and like a number of Smok mods and tanks, I rarely write off an entire brand based on one (or a couple) bad experiences, especially with vape gear. A particular mod or tank, absolutely! If I did, I would be running out of brands to choose from.

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
It would seem a bit of a stretch for this to appear any different in hand then any other mod. But if/when it does happen to somebody carrying a mod, should it be this one I am sure it's form will be pointed out.

I was typing this when you made your second post and was going to ask since haven't seen any reviews on the mod yet. Thanks.
I usually look at reviews here and there. If I come across one I'll let you know.
While I'm not a fan of Smok, if this rings your bell than I say more power to ya.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Sounds like it might be just right up your alley, OlderNdirt, and I hope you get one. You and smok seem a match made in heaven, and I like your attitude. If I were to rule out every single "bad" to me setup that I'd gotten, I might not have any brands left. And I know you know how to treat your Smok equipment right (even if I were a sub0hm vaper, which I'm not, I doubt me and smok would get along, I need equipment that doesn't get a lot of user error.... although if I were a sub0hm vaper there are a few smok things that might be tempting to me. :)

If you do get it report back! :)

Anna

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I get hesitant recommending Smok mods based on the high issue rate I see posted about that seems consistent with variable QC. However, I have an Alien and an AL85 that have never given me a problem, and their finish looks like almost new. It just seems like a crap shoot with them. However, I'd never recommend them for temp control. Their tanks are actually pretty nice and have no issue recommending one. As to the Prince tank, no ideas on it but I have seen there are several reviews already up on YT for it.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Sounds like it might be just right up your alley, OlderNdirt, and I hope you get one. You and smok seem a match made in heaven, and I like your attitude. If I were to rule out every single "bad" to me setup that I'd gotten, I might not have any brands left. And I know you know how to treat your Smok equipment right (even if I were a sub0hm vaper, which I'm not, I doubt me and smok would get along, I need equipment that doesn't get a lot of user error.... although if I were a sub0hm vaper there are a few smok things that might be tempting to me. :)

If you do get it report back! :)

Anna

If (yeah, right :D) I pick one up, I'll surely give my opinion. To be clear, I do like my Smok gear as well as other brands I have and use. And I do treat it all with some TLC.....easier at my age! Your comment about not getting along with Smok points out my frustration with anti-Smok posts. I readily admit that some of their products have problems as do other brands. I even eliminated the GX350 at first glance given the screen on top next to the 510, a bad mix for somebody that can easily spill a bit of juice now and then. I just hate to see anybody steer clear of something they could find perfect for them based on complaints that may or may not relate to defective gear. Given my positive experiences (or maybe just shear luck :rolleyes:) with my Smok products, I have to believe there are many, many vapers out there with similar good fortune.......they have no/little need to post about it on a message board.

I get hesitant recommending Smok mods based on the high issue rate I see posted about that seems consistent with variable QC. However, I have an Alien and an AL85 that have never given me a problem, and their finish looks like almost new. It just seems like a crap shoot with them. However, I'd never recommend them for temp control. Their tanks are actually pretty nice and have no issue recommending one. As to the Prince tank, no ideas on it but I have seen there are several reviews already up on YT for it.

I'm a bit hesitant myself any more, but will give my opinion if inquiries are made about specific equipment, be it Smok or something else I have. I can only hope that my hesitancy is not influenced by "issues" posted/raised that are a result of user error or deficient other components. Or "I only dropped it a couple times", even a complaint that "I can't take 9 hits at 120 watts in 30 seconds!" Unfortunately, while there are a lot of complaints, many OP's never report back on what their "issue" turned out to be. As far as temp control, based on my trial and error efforts, I came to the conclusion that DNA boards and building one's own coils are the best way to go......something I choose not to do. While I have a Lavabox DNA200, it sits rarely, if ever used now. So I leave that discussion to the "TC experts."

Unrelated to the above quotes/responses:

A month ago, we made our once a decade purchase of a new vehicle....a 2018 Chevy Equinox (not bragging, just stick with me for a minute). We are/were floored by all the bells and whistles that are now available in these new vehicles. In an attempt to get a grasp on all this new stuff, I found a couple message boards to get other purchaser's feedback and input. While there was some good information, I was quite surprised at the number of "issues" being reported. So much so that I began to question our choice of vehicle. But once shaking off that "OMG! fear alarm", I realized most of those "issues" were actually made by posters also learning how to operate those bells and whistles or posters just looking for anything that might become an "issue." I only mention this to point out that no matter the product or price, there will be those with "issues" and/or complaints, founded or not, that feel the need to forewarn others before determining they really have an "Issue." There is a lot of garbage out there we need to wade through to find the occasional nuggets. I'm beginning to think the garbage is winning.

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Personally I think they should just slow down. Seems like they're releasing a new tank and 2 mods every week. One wonders exactly how they QC all that. Although, basically it's all the same, different look.

After my issues, won't buy one. To be really fair though they offer nothing that "fits" me now, and they're not alone. Not a lot of regulated sqonks out there and Smok doesn't do RDAs.

Based on my experience with one of their mods and could I wouldn't jump to them for recommendations. That being said, wouldn't stand in your way if you wanted one.

I never rely on the "so many sold and we hear about the bad few" argument. Every customer deserves to get a quality product. Issues arise from poor QC or something just flips out. It's what the company does afterwards that wins or loses. Most of the Chinese manufacturers are left wanting in that Dept. Provape they aren't.

I deal with defective (or potentially defective) audio equipment every day. Some are truly defective and I wouldn't buy a single item from those companies. Others are usuer error. One in aprticular I see daily multiple times. We sell a crap ton of them. I check reviews on our site and all I see is how great they are. So, in some cases we don't always see a true representation of faulty equipment based on reviews and forum. We see those that share, about it.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
New cars now have so many nice bells and whistles but can be so unintuitive to use that you need either a remedial training session with the dealer, or actually RTFM. No more depress the clutch, turn the key, and put it in gear. Now there aren't even keys. Your keyfob unlocks the car and let's you press the start button. First time I saw that I was like, wait, where's the key to start this thing?:facepalm:

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
You bring up a lot of good points @jfcooley , much of which would make a good point/counter point discussion. I'll confine my comments to one aspect (or maybe 2 :D). Manufacturers are providing us the products we want, request, and even demand. "We" want products at the lowest price possible, the cheapest. Quality, higher price items are available, but IMHO, with limited sales. Yet we want them to institute a QC program to eliminate/minimize defects? I'm hard pressed to name any company or product that does not turn out some less then perfect products.....at any price range. I see ads for tons of products at a reduced price for "refurbished", but I am only guessing the source of those products. Given the volatility of the vaping industry due to government intrusions, can we really be surprised how manufacturers are reacting?

Your keyfob unlocks the car and let's you press the start button. First time I saw that I was like, wait, where's the key to start this thing?:facepalm:

:lol: :lol: :lol: I can't count the number of times I've walked up to the Nox, reaching into my pocket for the keys or go to remove the key from the ignition once parked. I'm still trying to figure out all the things I can do with a smart phone, now it can link to the Nox so I could even text via voice commands (yes, the Nox even has 4G and wifi). Then, if that is not enough, a windows 10 update keeps pestering me to link my phone to my desktop computer! Man, I can't keep up with technology!

Reactions: jfcooley

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I wisely bought a stick shift, bottom of the line Mazda 3, it doesn't even have an alarm system.

I like to drive, not fiddle around with buttons, and I figured it was my last chance to have fun before you know, I can't get anything fun. :)

Unfortunately I am loaning it to my mom when she comes to visit, it's probably going to need a new clutch, sigh.

Zoom zoom. Although my favorite car ever was a Saab with turbo power or whatever that's called. Unfortunately it belonged to my dad, and he refused to give it to me, I was given his beater Volvo, at the time I was annoyed, but that was a pretty good boat, I mean car, for a long time.

Anna

Reactions: OlderNDirt

jfcooley

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2017
Lol, we could go on and on, but we've derailed you're thread already.

I do want to say that I fully agree that we, as consumers, drive lower prices while wanting higher price quality. (see Walmart) (See U.S. Government)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread