SMOK MAG is great with a couple Major FLAWS - LEFT HANDED ONLY

Status
Not open for further replies.

lusayalmino

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
NY
If you really need reminding what the settings are or to release the batteries, then switch hands. Why do you need to know what the atomizer voltage is?
If I'm out and don't have charged batteries it's good to know if the wattage I set is going to try and draw too many volts. Plus I have a few years of electrical engineering and just love guesstimating Ohms Law and Power Law and seeing if my math is correct. I just love dials, guages, meters, graphs, and any data I can get my hands on!

Reactions: stols001

lusayalmino

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
NY
I almost always vape left handed too, although I am ashamed to admit there have been times I've double fisted it, LOL, usually if I'm vaping in a hurry and want to taste more than one flavor. Maybe I should get two of these, LOL.

My dad was a lefty trained into right handedness, and my older brother is one too, but not retrained. So my dad was a bit ambidextrous and my brother was always pointing out decreased life span of lefties due to a world that didn't respect them enough to provide "safe" implements. :) So I've always noticed lefties, and interestingly the tribe I used to work at is filled with lefties, a much higher proportion than the general populace....

Wow, that's a sign I really don't want to go back. I'd like a nice, peaceful job at Walmart with no dramaz or off-hours emergencies, LOL. I've been rethinking my priorities and since many Social Workers burn out after the first couple years, I may have hit my limits at around 16 years in that field, so I had a good run. :)

With that said, lefthanded or not, I really don't want to be vaping it in the car at night, get pulled over and have "guns" drawn only mine doesn't work? That doesn't sound good to me at all.

Anna
LOL you rock! We should talk more about the psychological, neurobiological, and neurophysiological ramifications of the opposite sitz: i.e. Right-Handers being forced to Vape Left-Handed LOL LMBO

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've always thought it would be a great school experiment to make everyone switch for a while... LOL. Much as I always enjoyed the school game of "spies and prisoners," it's a great way to even out the bullying, LOL.

My favorite ever time in HS was when my History teacher was teaching World War II and he made us all play Diplomacy and he was the referee.... By the end of that semester we ALL hated each other, and I remember far more about WWII than WWI thanks to that clever action.

I MISS diplomacy... I still need to track down that board game place in Tucson, and join up with my passel of nerds. I really like board games and no one will play with me... I'm fairly certain that lot would.

Anna

Reactions: Eskie

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
It is not about thinking you have a gun:shock: It is about having a nice grip on your mod. [\quote]
This whole thread is about magazine button location. I watched a guy demo this thing at a b&m store. It was all about how fun like it was.
Haven't you ever dropped or almost dropped you mod? How in the world does it admittedly dramatically increase of shooting yourself :unsure:. No gun I know of has a barrel facing up. If you have ever shot a pistol before you should have been taught the 4 RULES OF GUN SAFETY!
National Statistics say otherwise. You’re something like 8 times more likely to shoot yourself than someone else or something like that. I personally suspect most of those are intentional. Gun ownership turns suicide into a snap decision.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Yep, we have a gun in our household and I know how to shoot (I actually have reasonably good aim) but I don't want to really know its location or anything. I just feel no need to have that particular possibility over my head... Having been suicidal it's hard enough to just defeat it when you have instant success looming over your head, although I have met a woman without a face who tried suicide via gun and lived through it. Since she later sobered up, she was remarkably chipper about it, but I don't think *I* would be.

I'd say some are suicide, but a fair number are kids playing. We chose not to own a gun until the kiddo left the house. Though he had BB guns and pellet guns and everything else.... I doubt anything bad would have happened, but I wasn't all about taking the risk. Once we got it though we gave him gun safety lessons and took him to the shooting range so if he ever wanted to buy one, he'd have a primer. He's an INCREDIBLY good shot. He once asked if he could go bag a rabbit with his BB gun and I thoughtlessly said yes, thinking, "Riiiight...." He returned with a dead one in less than 20 minutes, that was a yes I regretted for a LONG time.

Reactions: Eskie

lusayalmino

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
NY
I've always thought it would be a great school experiment to make everyone switch for a while... My favorite ever time in HS was when my History teacher was teaching World War II and he made us all play Diplomacy and he was the referee.... By the end of that semester we ALL hated each other, and I remember far more about WWII than WWI thanks to that clever action. Anna

Interesting how that teaching style cemented data into your brain. Regarding the amiability and changeability of the brain (neuroplasticity) -- I wonder what pathways are carved when we repeatedly use our non-dominant characteristics (not just non-dominant mental activities but even what we are talking about here - kinesthetic / physical usage of non-dominant).

• Agree

lusayalmino

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
NY
I still need to track down that board game place in Tucson, and join up with my passel of nerds. I really like board games and no one will play with me... I'm fairly certain that lot would. Anna

Don't you have any board game playing hangouts where you live? There's a few around me -- pretty neat places. A lot of them are doing open play gaming (e.g. Star Wars X-Wing Miniatures, etc)?

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
If one looks hard enough, they will inevitably find something "wrong" with most any mod!

Left handed or screen on "wrong" side? Most of my mods, especially the dual 18650 mods, have the screen on the side rather then the edge. Depending on which hand I pick it up with, there is a 50/50 chance my hand will cover the screen. If I feel a need to look at the screen, it is not that hard to turn the mod or flip it to the other hand.....and I have wonky hands. The Mag will always have the screen covered when used in the right hand, but that is offset by always being visible in the left (at least a 50/50 chance for me) and the more secure "fit." I get where some may find this an inconvenience, but a "major flaw?" Ya gotta put the screen, especially a large screen somewhere!

Looks like a gun, somebody's gonna get shot? When I pick up a mod, it is almost entirely covered by my hand, no matter which one (hand or mod). Maybe it's coincidence, but it seems I always pick up or hold my mod with the back of my hand to the outside, virtually hiding the mod. It would seem highly unlikely, from any distance at all, the Mag would look much if any different then a box mod.

I get that the Mag may not be for some or even many. But we may have to continue the search for "major flaws!"

JMHO!

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
it's good to know if the wattage I set is going to try and draw too many volts.
The voltage value displayed on the mod is what is being sent to atomizer, not what is being drawn from the batteries. A low resistance coil will need a different balance of amps and volts than a high resistance one. But the chip takes care of this for you, and is therefore of no consequence as it has coded in limits that would prevent it from firing if the values are too high or too low.
It is important to know how many amps you are drawing from your batteries, in case you didn't know how to calculate this have a read of the article below.
https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/blog-entry/ohms-law-calculating-safe-amp-usage.7562/unread

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Maybe said person is a journalist? LOL.

(Kidding, kidding, I swear) but it was media-worthy and actually not so great (if funny). I can just picture it now "vapes can't get into the hands of children or they will SHOOT each other..." So probably best noted that the mod doesn't look like much of ANYTHING when it's covered by a HAND (left OR right).

FWIW, I ABSOLUTELY agree with you, @OlderNDirt every single ONE of my mods has flaws that I cope with and put up with because I LOVE them. :) There is NO perfect mod. If I were to have quibbled over my Tesla nano steampunk's battery door, I would have lost out on a GREAT vape, for example.

Anna

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I was out and about with my Mag today. Picked it up and realized I had picked it up "backwards" in my right hand. While it is immediately obvious the fit is different, I held it there and hit the fire button with the "crook" between my thumb and fore finger, just as I had picked it up. Been purposely using it that way for a while now just to see if it got bothersome at all. While it is not as comfortable as firing it with the finger (obviously....duh!), it can work just fine for those having the need to continuously look at the screen. Give it a try if interested in this mod, but this "issue" has you concerned. Or if anybody else has the mag, give it a try. Curious how it feels works for you.

lusayalmino

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
NY
I was out and about with my Mag today. Picked it up and realized I had picked it up "backwards" in my right hand. While it is immediately obvious the fit is different, I held it there and hit the fire button with the "crook" between my thumb and fore finger, just as I had picked it up. Been purposely using it that way for a while now just to see if it got bothersome at all. While it is not as comfortable as firing it with the finger (obviously....duh!), it can work just fine for those having the need to continuously look at the screen. Give it a try if interested in this mod, but this "issue" has you concerned. Or if anybody else has the mag, give it a try. Curious how it feels works for you.

Yeah great point... I agree - some would have no problem even firing with their right thumb - but at this point, I'm strictly using it left handed. BUT regardless, it's my favorite MOD ever!

lusayalmino

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2011
NY
I have been rocking this mod for a while using the x6. This is by far the easiest mod to hold. I really like how well built it feels. I love the Prince tank running it about 85 watts. Batteries seem to last longer than I thought they would. :vapor::vapor::vapor:

I always hated changing batteries - now I can't wait for them to die so I can change them LOL! I know, I love this thing. So glad I got it. Battery Magazine is phenomenal. I love not having to bring my entire vape to the battery charger (and not having to flip the vape upside down to change the batteries like many of my other MODS) -- and the mag is so well made.

• Informative

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
I enjoyed sitting it down in front of me, enjoying the looks of the Mag with the screen on for a few hours before shortening the screen timeout. Had to check out the looks of the different colors depending on which tank was on it. Dialed in at 20 seconds now.

DURABILITY: I wouldn't bore anybody with why, but since "the grip" is one of the positives of this mod.......

It has been really cold around here lately. I mean well below zero cold! So I broke out my heaviest winter coat for the first time this year. Stepped outside for a few tokes while at a gathering. When done, I dropped the mod on the inside breast pocket in that coat. From almost shoulder height, it shot straight through to the concrete below! I didn't remember that "inside pocket" was but a slit in the coat liner for access to the real inside pocket in the coat! :shock: I was sure, given the weight of this thing, that I probably damaged the mod and surely broke the Prince tank. Apprehensively bending over to pick it up (not an easy chore at my age :rolleyes:), I was shocked to see the tank still full of juice, the mod intact, and no signs of any damage whatsoever. The battery cartridge didn't even disengage! Gave the fire button a quick hit and it fired, so took a toke. It was as if it had never been dropped! When I got home, checked it out close up and the only mark I found was on one bottom corner where it must have hit. So minute it would never be noticed without being pointed out.

No question I was just plain lucky, but it totally passed its first, and hopefully last, test!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread