SMOK RDA Question / Concern

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGabe

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 14, 2011
Indiana
I saw this pop up on Facebook the other day and I instantly thought I HAVE to have one. But, looking at the images.. the air hole in the cap looks like it sits between the 2 o-rings, which would seal it from getting ANY air. And the 510 threading has 2 air holes above the threading. I'd venture to say that this thing is pulling air from the bottom and NOT the cap. Could someone at MVS verify this? RBAs with air holes above the threading tend to leak and I don't want to deal with that.

thanks

aasupplyny

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
USA
I saw this pop up on Facebook the other day and I instantly thought I HAVE to have one. But, looking at the images.. the air hole in the cap looks like it sits between the 2 o-rings, which would seal it from getting ANY air. And the 510 threading has 2 air holes above the threading. I'd venture to say that this thing is pulling air from the bottom and NOT the cap. Could someone at MVS verify this? RBAs with air holes above the threading tend to leak and I don't want to deal with that.

thanks

Hi BGabe,

The airholes on the 510 connection are redundant because the connect is actually sealed and no airflow through there. There's actually another hole inside, near the pos/neg prongs.

We only has a small sample order of these and they were sold out pretty quick. I don't think they'll be available until after CNY.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach

thanks

I just recieved mine today,the cap is press fit so you can position the airhole right at the center of the coil.The air holes in the bottom pin ARE sealed,no air from the bottom at all.I also have a Hornet RDA,which is why i purchased this one.Smok knocked off the hornet design for a cheaper price,but anyway,the coil on this is wrapped with 8 1mm silica wicks at about 1 1/4" - 1 1/2" long? Not sure why they left a wrap like that on here.When i opened the package i took the top off of the RDA and it is hard to get the wicks tucked back in and keep them from getting caught in the bottom ,or one or two stick thru the top.I am going to try out the wick that is pre-installed on here and see if it performs as well as the hornet does.Depending on the outcome,i am going to wrap my own at around .9-1.2 ohms.The preinstalled wick is at 2.3 have not fired it up yet.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Does this thing just chug juice?

I am able to put like 8-15 drops almost every 5 vapes and this thing just loves it.

I haven't been able to flood or even get it to leak yet and I have been trying.

What is the max drops people have been able to put in?

I dropped about 9-10 when i fired it up and about 5-6 after a few vapes not wanting to temp fate.There is one person that did get it to leak on another thread here.I can't remember how many drops he/she put in,but they did manage to get it to leak.I thought it would be hard,if not impossible to get it to leak,being the air hole is set between the two O-rings? Guess it can leak after all.

aasupplyny

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2009
USA
I dropped about 9-10 when i fired it up and about 5-6 after a few vapes not wanting to temp fate.There is one person that did get it to leak on another thread here.I can't remember how many drops he/she put in,but they did manage to get it to leak.I thought it would be hard,if not impossible to get it to leak,being the air hole is set between the two O-rings? Guess it can leak after all.

Hi! It can leak and I wouldn't suggest anything over 13-14 drops. The air hole is below the wick so if the wick is over saturated, it will leak.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Has anyone had to replace the initial installed coil on there RDA yet?? I just had to trash the one that came installed.I used it the first day it came to test it and see how it does,maybe about five or six drags and put it up.Today was the first time using it,since the day i recieved it,i was dripping some organic chocolate from highdesertvapes,and it started tasting like plastic.I was only at 3.7v-3.9v on my new LT2 and the wick was wet i had dripped about 15 drops initially took about 4 drags,and that's when i noticed the plastic taste.Took it off went to the sink and pulled the cap.I ran the wick(attatched to RBA,without the cap) under warm-hot water(yes the wick was wet with juice and dark colored) and as the water cleaned off the juice i could see the wicks were burnt thru and completely black around the coil.That is where the plastic taste came from,the burnt wick.All six strands of wick were burnt thru and the coil itself looked as if it was coroded with gunk from weeks of use,remember this was the first time using it since the five to six drags trying it out the day i got it.I am starting to wonder if they should have used a thicker silica beside the 1mm that came installed??? Any thoughts,anyone else have problems yet besides me???

banshee77

Verified Member
Mar 14, 2011
Michigan
Has anyone had to replace the initial installed coil on there RDA yet?? I just had to trash the one that came installed.I used it the first day it came to test it and see how it does,maybe about five or six drags and put it up.Today was the first time using it,since the day i recieved it,i was dripping some organic chocolate from highdesertvapes,and it started tasting like plastic.I was only at 3.7v-3.9v on my new LT2 and the wick was wet i had dripped about 15 drops initially took about 4 drags,and that's when i noticed the plastic taste.Took it off went to the sink and pulled the cap.I ran the wick(attatched to RBA,without the cap) under warm-hot water(yes the wick was wet with juice and dark colored) and as the water cleaned off the juice i could see the wicks were burnt thru and completely black around the coil.That is where the plastic taste came from,the burnt wick.All six strands of wick were burnt thru and the coil itself looked as if it was coroded with gunk from weeks of use,remember this was the first time using it since the five to six drags trying it out the day i got it.I am starting to wonder if they should have used a thicker silica beside the 1mm that came installed??? Any thoughts,anyone else have problems yet besides me???

I just picked one of these up the other day and only after a few hours of using it I started getting that funny taste. Upon inspection I found the same thing, burnt wicks. I was keeping the wicks quite wet so I'm not sure what caused this. I will be installing the spare one later. Hope it doesn't do the same. Guess I'll be ordering supplies and learning to make coils/wicks soon.

download.jpg download (1).jpg

subtle_banter

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 20, 2012
Vermont
yes you can get it to leak. like anything that you over-saturate. yes this thing does kick ... as it comes. yes it can be modded to kick much more .... drill 2 more holes in it and buff the .... outta it to get that smooth look. and wrap a .5 ohm coil to show this thing who's boss. it will still kick your ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread