RDA N22 RDA (Nova 22) Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally,
I bought my last rda! At least until something better comes along. Before I tell you why I think it will be a long time before something will beat the N22, I’ll tell you what’s wrong with RDAs in general, IMO. I’ll use the best RDAs I’ve had before the N22 as comparison (in order of preference); The Vertex, The Little Boy, The Patriot, The Magma, & The Veritas.

Air Flow Control (AFC)
Its either too little or too much. The Little Boy is the airiest rda I have, which is great for cloud chasing, but horrible for small restrictive settings best for flavor. This is because the outer cap & inner neck wall has a big gap letting in air even at small openings. Also, as you close the hole, a smaller portion of your coil is exposed to direct air flow. N22’s coil is exposed to direct full air flow no matter what the AFC setting. Air intake is sealed between two O-Rings preventing by-pass; all air flows directly to coil.

Build Ease
Getting your coil as close as possible to the air holes is critical for best flavor & vapor. Three post designs with side/cap air holes present a challenge; you have to skew your coil radially in danger of shorting against the cap. In the case of The Patriot, the AFC is performed by an inner cap which can touch your coil if it’s too far out. While a nice idea, The Veritas gets you close to the air hole but it’s a disaster to build a double coil. The N22’s design is the easiest to build on and gets you as close as possible to the air holes with little effort; the AFC works well for max flavor and cloud chasing.

Design
Simplicity is often the best design. O-Ringed top caps come off in your pocket (think Tobh & 454 Big Block). The Little Boy scores points here since its top cap screws onto its barrel. Too many O-Rings mean there is more to replace. AFC rings, ie Magma & Vertex, are unnecessarily complex and usually too restrictive; although the Vertex scores airy points. Deep drip wells means more juice & cotton to hold it preventing leakage and allowing more vaping before you need to re-drip. The Vertex is a great atty but its shallow & leaks. Screws back out under use loosening your connection; headless set screws do not. The quality has to be good. Thin/week O-Rings means top caps & barrels easily come apart; tiny screws requiring coil wire wrapping (non three post design - think Veritas) means a difficult, crappy build, & lost or stripped screws. Its gotta look good; The N22 mounts flush & looks great.

The N22 has an inner conical small chamber with direct bottom fed airflow to coil at any AFC setting, which is great for restrictive flavorful draws as well as airy cloud chasing vapes. It’s a simple two piece 22mm flush mounting three post design with large headless set screws, deep well, and looks good. The only con I can find is minor, the top O-Ring is subject to additional wear due to the air flow holes passing over it when assembled.

n22-RDA.jpg N22_RDA_CLONE_.jpg N22 Posts Deep Well.jpg N22 Inner Cap.jpg

Last edited:
The vertex v2 is a great RDA. Its well made and the AFC ring fits tight so it doesn't spin around accidentally. The cool thing about it is the effective range of the AFC; it can go from very restrictive to wide open for deep lung inhales. The only con is you can easily over drip, flood, & leak. I'm frequently wiping it with a napkin. The flavor is very good. I just think the N22's flavor is as good or slightly better. Its easier to build, holds more juice, and doesn't leak.

atroph

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Chesapeake, VA
Considering I am a noob how is it compared directly to the magma? IMO the magma is head and shoulders above all for casual vaping (see not smoking) flavor and vapor wise. I am single twisted 32 (2 strands) at 1.6mm IIRC 1.3 ohms and 12-13 watts and it just doesn't stop performing.

I like the distributed air holes but am concerned about leaks/weeps. My PV weeped so much that I traded that thing off with a quickness.

IMO the magma would be perfect if it came with the 12ga needle mod installed.

My only beef with the Atty above is that you may need to skew the coils off to the side to get the best air flow to the maximum amount of coil surface . If it had offset posts that centered the coil I would but it in an instant.

Last edited:

readeuler

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2014
Ohio, USA
Good point about the centered build, atroph. I was kind of fanatical about centering builds on every atty, but now I'm happy to keep things off to the side. You would almost certainly want a centered build here, which isn't terrible, but a little extra effort.

I've been intrigued by this one, I cannot lie...

Last edited:
I hear what you guys are saying about the centered build. Like I mentioned above, this is really hard with an atty like the Vertex V2 or any other with side holes on the barrel. The N22's three post design does require you to skew your coil slightly to get it perfectly centered over the air holes. But it's so slight as compared to the Magma that it really doesn't make a difference. I build with dual coil 26 gage kenthal, 7 wraps each, giving me about 0.50 ohms total. To get the coil centered is very easy and really doesn't add much in the way of wire lead length as compared to the magma. The coil width is a little short of covering all the air holes. I plan on a new build with 24 gage wire which should expand over all the holes since it will require more wire wraps and therefore a longer width coil expanding over all the holes. I liked the Magma, but even with my first build, the N22 blows it away flavor and vapor wise. The second build I mentioned should do an even better job. When I get a chance, I'll post a few pics. Oh, and by the way, leakage is not an issue.

MrPlink

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Portland, OR / San Francisco CA
I have an Ivogo clone and inside the top cap is not domed. Does that make that much of a difference? Flavor wise?? Seems like it wouldn't but I don't have a domed N22 to compare it to. Any feedback would be great. Tastes good to me as far as I can tell.

Yes, the dome acts as a reducer and concentrates flavor

Pensilac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Utica, NY
I ended up getting a N22 clone last night made by "Vceego". The air holes on this one are definitely smaller than the authentic as I'd say with it fully open on dual coil it's got a tighter draw than the Magma. The flavor I'm getting is very good, comparable to the Magma, but the draw is just a little too tight for me and I'm not getting much vapor at all. I checked all the air holes and there's nothing blocking them, they just weren't drilled out large enough. I think next weekend I'm going to drill it out a bit when I have access to a drill press and hopefully then I'll be loving this a little more.

Pensilac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 3, 2013
Utica, NY
Here's a couple pictures of the build I did last night. Not too pretty but it vapes good. It's 24 gauge wrapped on a 2.4mm screw driver.

Sorry but pictures will probably be sideways. I'm not very good at using this tapatalk app.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1419808390710.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419808390710.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 431
  • uploadfromtaptalk1419808444865.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1419808444865.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 968
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread