Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
Hoi Reofolk!

I have had a goal for a while and was working towards it - a souped up REO Grand with a good dual coil RDA on it that has air coming directly to the coils, from below, via an extra air channel, like the Immortalizer, but bottom fed.

Now here is a start: an RBA that cost me 10 Euros...

The smok Scar's top cap is made out of stainless, but the innards, the base and center pin are made out of brass colored metal, like the RM2.

It is not made for bottom feeding, of course, but the center pin can simply be pushed out (from the top down) and dremeled open.

The air goes from a side hole between the orings of the top cap to the small tubes that are directly beneath the coils. I need to drill it all a bit more open, the draw is too tight for me - and for the vapor amount of the scar - with stock airholes.

The Scar will not fit an unaltered Grand, but with the catch cup milled down to be level with the 510 connector, it works a treat:

(Click pics for bigger size, click on "Vergrößern" for full size)

Last edited:

ChrisEU

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2011
Germany
The vape is great - I think that the side air holes of normal drippers don't work as well as the direct air holes of the likes of Kayfun, Immortalizer, Odysseus, Taifun GT, Squape.

A simple hole in the cap is easier to manufacture, of course.

The coil you see on the pictures is a 2 x 1 ohm, resulting in 0.5 ohm total. The draw is still too tight, I didn't drill out the air path yet.

Here's a scottish review of the Scar:

The Grand was milled down with the help of a portal mill (Portalfräse, not sure I got that correct in English) - not something you would find in every shed - but you can use a simple file, it's only aluminium, after all.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I just received my first Reo Grand today. For some odd reason, Rob did not add a RM2 to the invoice, so it didn't ship with it. He hasn't responded to my last email either, not sure what's the deal. Anywho, I stopped by a local shop and picked up a Smok Dripper and modded it for bottom feeding in about 5 minutes. The draw is too open for me or something. Plants of vapor, but flavor is lacking. I have been using K fL+ lately! and seem to be spoiled by the flavor and draw.

I was wondering if the SCAR would be a better choice. Seems like it could be a closer experience to what the KFL offers, but not sure. I'm glad he didn't send the RM2 if it is an open draw as well. May be it will all work out.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i dremelled a channel in the +ve post of my Scar to make it bottom feed, but there are a load of airholes around it. There are 2 between the o-rings that hold the topcap on - i left those alone , and 2 more above the 510 threads - i filled those in with superglue so as to force juice up the channel.

I can't remember what i paid for it - but it was under $15, so i didn't really care if i messed it up and it has some good reviews as a dripper. I didn't like the Octopus type build that it came with.

T

Treebeard

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 27, 2013
Downtown Shufunkdeville
I just received my first Reo Grand today. For some odd reason, Rob did not add a RM2 to the invoice, so it didn't ship with it. He hasn't responded to my last email either, not sure what's the deal. Anywho, I stopped by a local shop and picked up a Smok Dripper and modded it for bottom feeding in about 5 minutes. The draw is too open for me or something. Plants of vapor, but flavor is lacking. I have been using K fL+ lately! and seem to be spoiled by the flavor and draw.

I was wondering if the SCAR would be a better choice. Seems like it could be a closer experience to what the KFL offers, but not sure. I'm glad he didn't send the RM2 if it is an open draw as well. May be it will all work out.

The IGO-S is on par with the Kayfun as far as flavor goes. The Kayfun is mighty impressive for flavor.

ckone180

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The IGO-S is on par with the Kayfun as far as flavor goes. The Kayfun is mighty impressive for flavor.

Thank you for the feedback. I will check out the IGO-S as well.

The key to the kayfun style seems to be the small chamber, coupled with bottom airflow. That's what makes me think the SCAR may work well as a replacement. The reason I went to the REO is due to the slightly finicky behavior from the kayfun. For some reason, every other tank refill, sometimes every tank refill, it will flood and leak a bit out of the air hole. Not most of the time, but at times when I am not expecting it. With Boba's Bounty, I have to nearly shut the airflow closed, with Pluid it is wide open. Just frustrating sometimes. And I have had these for a while, and feel I have them down pretty good. I thought the REO would eliminate those issues. While it seems to have removed those issues, I am now finding myself missing the draw experience from the KFL.

BlueSnake

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
Columbia, SC
Thank you for the feedback. I will check out the IGO-S as well.

The key to the kayfun style seems to be the small chamber, coupled with bottom airflow. That's what makes me think the SCAR may work well as a replacement. The reason I went to the REO is due to the slightly finicky behavior from the kayfun. For some reason, every other tank refill, sometimes every tank refill, it will flood and leak a bit out of the air hole. Not most of the time, but at times when I am not expecting it. With Boba's Bounty, I have to nearly shut the airflow closed, with Pluid it is wide open. Just frustrating sometimes. And I have had these for a while, and feel I have them down pretty good. I thought the REO would eliminate those issues. While it seems to have removed those issues, I am now finding myself missing the draw experience from the KFL.

I've never used a Kayfun, but others have said the RM2 is as good or better. It has a small chamber and the stock air hole is small. Lots even drill the air hole bigger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread