Smallest I have found/owned :confused:

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
So has anybody ever noticed it being overpowered since I kinda still want it but I am worried that it was causing dry hits on my herakles at the same setting at my sig 150 and dna 200. I highly doubt the firmware on the sample mod got updated but still.

Not sure what you are saying/expecting, but I never assume one mod will match another.
Assuming you need say 140 watts is just that, an assumption brought by use of a device on a particular mod and getting that result.

Many design factors have an effect on overall results with various Regulated Mods, just like different Mechanical mods produce different results and different batteries produce different results.

Reactions: AlaskaVaper

Symmetry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
Oregon, USA
SMOK XCube II SS TC Firmware Upgrade + TC Tests

DJLsb Vapes

Daniel does a great job in his latest video from Portugal showing how a Mac user can access the SMOK website for obtaining the latest firmware upgrade (ver 1.09.1) for SS wire (supposedly!). If your are into this sort of thing then I believe that this is well worth your time to watch. Daniel is a rising star reviewer in my humble opinion.

Great video, but not impressive results...has this been fixed with v1.092? They claim it has, but given the strangeness with Ti in the initial upgrade, and SS in v1.091, I'd rather hear from someone who owns it.

Symmetry

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
Oregon, USA
Received XCube today. Couldn't get beta upgrade app to work. "No Aprom file" even though I could see it in the folder. Used old programer.
In nickel mode seems to be over powering when compared to Istick 40TC. Not sure if the TCR needs adjusting. Still first day with the device so i'm sure i'll work it out.
Do you have stainless steel wire to test that mode with? I'm curious if it works properly in the newest firmware or not.

I'm really considering getting this mod despite some of the initial bugginess, since they seem to be constantly releasing firmware updates. It gives me faith that issues will continue to be fixed as they appear.

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
I've got myself some 26ga titanium but this is my first tc mod so have no idea what kind of build I should be going for.

Any advice guys?

Single coil, try 9 wraps tight spaced (or contact if you prefer and understand how to do it without creating TiO2), 3mm inner diameter. That's a good jumping off point, and that should fit in just about any rebuildable deck atomizer, especially if you build a contact coil.

Dual coil, and since the Cube has a lot of power and the "hard" mode as well, I'd recommend 10/11 wraps per coil, everything else the same as above. That should put you around 0.22 ohms, give or take a winkle. If it were a less powerful mod, I'd suggest 6/7 wraps per coil, trading off surface area and vapor production for reasonable ramp-up time.

Reactions: Devlinukr

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Had issues with temp control. It just wasn't kicking in. Looked like it was stuck in wattage mode. Pulled batteries and all is fine again.
So have ordered some stainless and some NIFe30 to try. Just not comfortable vaping Nickel or Titanium.

@RingaDing - where did you order the NiFe30 from? Crazy Wire? If so, do you have it yet? If not, could you let me know when you get it - I don't know if you're following my Beyond Ni200 thread, but the NiFe30 I received was actually Stainless Steel. They say they're sorting it but I'm hoping to get into touch with anyone else who's received the wire to see if it was just me or a wider problem. Thanks

TheBloke

Ultra Member
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Brighton, UK
Tonight I finally upgraded my Smok to 1.092. Not going great so far.

First of all I used the new Upgrade Tool. Which is a hell of a lot nicer than the old one, given that the old one was simply the developer tool provided by the chip manufacturer. Terrible end-user experience. The new one is incredibly basic but if it works it will be fine.

Unfortunately, it didn't work. It downloaded the new firmware OK, then went through all the motions of upgrading - three steps, followed by PASS. Turning on my Smok, I found that it had been reset to factory settings, but was still on FW 1.08. Repeated the process, same result.

I had to go back to the original tool - and it's lucky I still had it installed and knew how to use it, because they appear to have removed all mention of it from their site.

So I've got 1.092 on now. Unfortunately, I can't use TC yet - because I can't login to the Android app to enable the "Upgradation". Once again Smok demonstrates the utter stupidity of locking the use of essential features to an external app. Every time I try and login to the app, I just get "Unknown Error, please contact administrator." Which is nice.

If anyone has their phone/tablet and Dumb Bec to hand, could you see if you can login OK? So I know if it's just me or a global problem. It's definitely not a network issue on my Android install, as all other network stuff is working fine.

On the upside, I was pleased to see in the release notes for 1.092 mention of fixing underheating. Though it said it was for Ni200 mode. Have they fixed underheating for Ni200 but not Titanium? The mind boggles. But maybe Titanium was already fixed in an earlier update? I didn't look at the notes for 1.09 or 1.091.

The saga continues. Sooner or later this could be a really nice, capable mod..

Devlinukr

ECF Veteran
Sep 4, 2015
Their site appears to be down at the moment which is indeed incredibly annoying but at least I'm not stuck without the tc options so commiserations.

On a happier note due to another of your posts about the Mad Scientist having a problem related to the 510 on the x cube I opened mine up to have a butchers inside as my tc was also basically unusable. I couldn't see any problems as such apart from the possibility that the negative wire could be coming into contact with something it shouldn't so I fiddled about with it a tiny bit, screwed everything back together and for unknown reasons everything seems to be working a-okay.

RingaDing

Aug 27, 2012
United Kingdom
@RingaDing - where did you order the NiFe30 from? Crazy Wire? If so, do you have it yet? If not, could you let me know when you get it - I don't know if you're following my Beyond Ni200 thread, but the NiFe30 I received was actually Stainless Steel. They say they're sorting it but I'm hoping to get into touch with anyone else who's received the wire to see if it was just me or a wider problem. Thanks

Yep From Crazy Wire. Bought 0.35 SS and NiFi. Seeing your post just made me take a close look at them. The NiFe on the roll has a very slightly matter then the SS.
Haven't had a chance to try them yet as my XCube seems to be fooked. Can't log into the app to activate SS. The mod in nickel mode gives all or nothing. EG @200 degrees it takes your head off. Drop it down 10 degrees and not a whisper of vaper. Been ficking around with it all day.

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Their site appears to be down at the moment which is indeed incredibly annoying but at least I'm not stuck without the tc options so commiserations.

On a happier note due to another of your posts about the Mad Scientist having a problem related to the 510 on the x cube I opened mine up to have a butchers inside as my tc was also basically unusable. I couldn't see any problems as such apart from the possibility that the negative wire could be coming into contact with something it shouldn't so I fiddled about with it a tiny bit, screwed everything back together and for unknown reasons everything seems to be working a-okay.

If you open it again, check to make sure the ground ring is tight. Mine wasn't; I could spin it with some moderate force. It's captured with a press fit ring that also holds the 510 in the mod. Bad design, really because if the 510 get stressed, it will loosen up. There's not a whole lot to be done to tighten it, other than replacing the 510, but if it is loose, that's likely the best option. A loose 510 ground does cause a host of problems (problems in addition to wonky software updates lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread