• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Smoke Breaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

sydgal

Jan 24, 2009
Australia
Hi fellow Aussies :D

Just wondering how everyone gets on with using the e-cigs in public and/or at work? As I understand it either the devices or nic liquid (or both??) are banned in most states :confused: of Oz, so I'm interested to find out what other Aussies do on their 'smoke break' when infact we are not allowed (?) to be in possession of these devices in the first place?

Feel free to correct me on any of this if any part of it is wrong... me still learning da ropes :D and not entirely sure of the laws in each state.

cucurucho

ECF Veteran
As far as I know the liquid is banned in all states (definitely in NSW and Victoria), but not the devices..

I'm lucky enough to work in a pretty relaxed environment, with my own office being quite separated from everyone else. So I generally have my 'smoke breaks' at my computer. But I do occasionally join other smokers for a quick break outside. They are all pretty familiar with my e-cig now, so I have no problems with it at all.

Normally when I explain it to people, I will tell them that the liquid is, in fact, illegal. The usual response is shock and outrage.

The good news is that it's no less legal to use these devices indoors than it is in the comfort of one's own home. So I vape outdoors and indoors (discretely) in public regularly. I'm yet to have a run in with the law, but I reckon the cops would have a hard time proving that I'm doing anything illegal (I'd tell them it's just vapourised food flavouring as an aid to quit smoking).

sydgal

Jan 24, 2009
Australia
<-- Me is full member now :D me can post links :thumbs: (we need some more smilies)

Cuc, you sound like you have a very easy going workplace :) I am SURE I couldn't vape at MY desk !!! (Open plan office!) :(

But it's only the nic liquid that is illegal yes? So if we are vaping zero liquid, we are in fact not breaking the law :rolleyes: and the policemen/woman can't get us :|

Even if the police did 'get us' (and that's a big if) We can just plead innocence. After all, I had NO IDEA vaping was illegal in Australia officer :rolleyes: ... I'd like to see them prove otherwise.

cucurucho

ECF Veteran
I work for a bunch of open minded academics at a university, and people rarely come into my office, so yeah, vaping isn't a problem :)

Yeah, I think any cops would have a pretty tough time proving that anyone would be vaping nicotine. I doubt that the fuzz are even aware of e-cigs. The laws were mainly only put in place to prevent supply of unregulated nicotine... so I'm not really afraid of getting caught out :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread