Smoketech 510 5ml Dual Coil Tank (DCT) Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Martö

I was really excited when my 2 tanks arrived in the mail today along with my new Bolt, Trustfire Charger and a few Dual Coil Carts.

I am however unhappy with the Cartomizer supplied with the tank it FLOODS and leaks. The tank works just fine but the CART is making a hell of a mess out of the holes in the sides above the threads and or the bottom hole.

There has been no modifications made, factory hole. I just filled it with juice and let it sit for an hour and refilled the juice again then vaped for a short bit set it down then wow liquid on my mod. I thought humm maybe the 510 connection was pushing on the cart so I moved it to another connection on my joye510. Still same result. I loosened the connection still leaked. I thought maybe it's not supposed to be upright so I laid it on it's side and still leaked. I'm out of trouble shooting ideas other then to try another cart.

Here's the juice I have in this.. All VG with nic and flavoring.

50%: 2.5ml - 20mg VG Nicotine
30%: 1.5ml - VG
20%: 1ml - Loran Watermelon flavor

Any ideas whats up???

holley2583

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 4, 2012
Boston
How many holes did your cartomizers come with, one or three? I have my smoktech tank with a dual coil flanged carto with one hole and i can get some serious dry hits...however, I ordered another smoktech tank from a different vendor and their carto's come with three holes...I haven't tried those yet, but that could be your problem. I don't understand why there can't be carto's with two holes as one doesn't seem to be enough, but three causes too much juice to come up through the center, then you get leaking down to your battery and in your mouth. Perhaps with one hole punch cartos use very thin juice(higher PG), and when using three hole punched cartos use thicker juices(higher VG).

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
It's god-awful! Horrible to fill/refill/top off. Ridiculous that for $13 one has to be punching holes in it. Comes with NO instructions. I watched pbusardo's video. I punched an extra like it seemed everyone advised and it leaked all the juice out. What are you gonna do. . . because once its filled it a PITA to do anything with. I pushed the carto back up and noticed it could use a bit more juice. Tried sliding the carto back down and it was so tight that I really had to pull on it which it then pulled out to far and juice ran all over! So I tried it again after wiping everything up. I go to use it a juice is running from the bottom a lot! I fiddled with it some more and noticed the tank pushed down (with force) it clicked into place. Used it for a while. Set it down for a while. No leaks! I go out to a meeting and am using it and I feel juice on my fingers. It just coming out the tank that in a few minutes it was dry. A real mess! Lost 3 tanks of juice. Also condensation was really bad the few minutes it did work making for a very watery vape.

Used 50/50 VG/PG. Thumbs Down on this one!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Cartotanks are a learning experience, unfortunately. Growing pains? I've been using cartotanks for a few months now and feel I've learned a thing or two.

Number one, all cartotanks are basically the same. They all are expected to be a reservoir for our liquids, to be called upon to deliver our juice to the coil(s) for vaping, while not leaking juice.

A leaking tank is caused by either poor fitting or ineffective o-rings in the endcaps, or a flooded carto.

Ineffective o-rings may be caused by user error. By this, I mean a misinformed user can damage the o-rings simply by pushing the carto thru the endcaps during assembly without a tank filling tool. These are available from Phiniac, Got Vapes, and Big Daddy Vapor. This is a tool that fits on in the top of the carto during tank filling and assembly. The top of the carto is sharp, and it can easily damage the rubber o-rings when it passes thru the endcap during tank assembly. It therefore can not hold its seal and the tank leaks juice. A tank tool covers the top of the carto, eliminating the risk of cutting the o-rings and also prevents unwanted juice entering the air hole in the cartomizer. Here is a pic of the tool I prefer because of its better design and userfriendliness:

View attachment 128061 View attachment 128062 Slap yo Momma tool from Big Daddy Vapors

Cartomizer prepping is important for a carto tank to work. You should fill a carto for a tank as if you were not going to put it in the tank and vape from it. The polyfill should look like a wet slushy, with no liquid allowed to get into the airhole. Half of a broken toothpic placed into the air hole during carto filling is useful.

You can use pre-punched cartos (coming in 1, 2, or 3 holes pre-drilled) or punch your own with a punch tool or slot your own with a dremmel and cutting wheel. Some people prefer using a saddle tool. I prefer pre-drilled holes from the vendor because punching my own caused the carto to get out of roung (deformed) making easy entry thru the endcaps difficult, and probably not a good thing for the o-rings. I tried slotting but that ended up with flooding my carto. Many people are able to do one or the other with great results, but not me.

I get my cartos pre-drilled from Smoktek. Available in 1, 2, and 3 holes in various resistances. I've recently switched from dual coils to single coils. Ive noticed less battery drain on my 3.7v mods, slightly more vapor, similar flavor, and no burnt taste (which I often would get with the dual coil carts) since making the switch.

Ok, some people fill their tanks with the top cap off. If you do this, you run a big risk of upsetting the air/juice pressure within the tank once you put the top cap on. The juice takes the path of least resistance, floods the carto and exits thru the air hole at the connector end of the carto. The juice runs down all over your mod. Best to fill the tank with the two caps in place, with the carto partially pulled down thru the bottom end cap. This is where the tank filling tool comes in handy; it prevents juice from getting into the top of the carto where it can get into the airhole. Don't overfill the tank. When done, push the carto up into the tank so the flange is against the bottom endcap, remove the filler tool, and replace with your favorite drip tip.

Last edited:

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
Wow, thank you Baditude for the instructions! I think I flooded the cartomizer, I didn't know about the tool and I already noticed a tiny bit of the "o" ring seal on the cart when I pushed it through. I think they should have put in a more flexible rubber than the hard plastic. The good news is I did put in another long carto that I had laying around with a hole I punched with a piercing valve. No leaks, but I got several mouthfuls of juice. The carto did not have the flange end on it and it was one that came with my KGO kit. Maybe I'll buy anther carto for it next time I order supplies, but I don't like it at all. Hard to get the end caps off, yada, yada. . . I did fill it the way you recommended.

I think I want to stick with single coils, too. The Boge cartos I have work pretty well and I think their single coil, 2.0 ohm/resistance.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
It costs as much as the tank! I see they have a plastic version for less ($7.99, I think). Something else to buy.:(

I sympathize if you are on a tight budget. However, should you find yourself using more than one tank or two, getting one of the tank tools would become an excellent investment for the durability of those tanks. I use my Slap Yo Mama tool almost daily and find it to be invaluable.

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
I think its poorly designed. No way customers should have to be punching/slotting the cartos. And even if you do, your next juice may be thicker or thinner. Not to mention you have to fill it up to try it only to find it either leaking all over or not wetting the carto. I may try the ViVi Nova 2.5 with the wick concept. If it doesn't work, I'm giving up on tanks until someone comes up with a completely different concept.

I think designers are just throwing out products that don't work and everyone snatches them up because they are so hungry for a functioning vape. I'm new to this and I find the technology desperately lacking. Maybe by comparison to a few years ago its wonderful to you veterans. To a newbie like me its frustrating and time consuming and expensive. When everything works right, it's wonderful. But so much effort is required to get a 40% satisfaction vape when all I want to do is relax and vape for a while. Vapers should be more critical, demand better products, and push the industry to do better. For example, the Provari looks great until I read, "Click 15 times to . . . " 15 TIMES! Really $200+ and - 15 times!!! The ones I've looked at so far that impress are the Darwin (reliability and availability issues) and maybe the iTaste.

Sorry, but this is my newcomers impression.

Charlie C

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I recently got a SmokTek dual coil carto xl tank and it just leaks. Huge improvement on the Vivas as far as flavor goes (no nasty silica taste). I'm using 1.8ohm DC 2 punch cartos.

The quality of accessories all round is really becoming annoying; if it's not one thing it's something else.
I ordered some more cartos today in various ohms and hope that eventually I find the right combo.

I too tried to clean and try again but no luck.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It costs as much as the tank! I see they have a plastic version for less ($7.99, I think). Something else to buy.:(

I use and love my Boge F15 and F16 carto tanks. You can get one fully assembled with a prepunched Boge carto inside for 4 bucks! Just fill and vape. No leaks, no mess, no punching. Get a box or laser prepunched Boge LR cartos and you're set. Good luck!

BogeF16-Instructions.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread