Smoketek Kick Module + Beyond Vape Beacon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2012
Madison, WI
SmokTech Kick Adapter, Includes Variable Wattage Kick Module | SmokTek.com

I have both the kick and the mod coming in the mail next week, and I'm squeemish about using a mech with no regulation (why not a regulated mod? I have them, but I like the durability of a mech, and I have an appreciation for the "old" way it looks and works). Anyway, does this module fit in the Beacon tube, or do you have to use the adapter?

Searched everywhere on google to no avail. Thanks! :)

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Anyway, does this module fit in the Beacon tube, or do you have to use the adapter?
It would be my guess that you'll need to use the adaptor if you plan to use an 18650 battery. The Kick module takes up extra space within the battery compartment, so the module and battery used together probably won't fit without an extension sleeve or extended cap.

You could probably use an 18490/18500 battery without the extension adaptor, but beware that that size battery will have a much lower mAh and a lower amp rating than an 18650. (see image below)

Not sure about smok's module, but Evolv's Kick module did not have reverse battery protection. So be attentive to the battery orientation because reversing the battery will fry the module which is not covered by warranty.

flip3e2_093c0226-a8ea-42c0-b23e-b83c1cb1ddd5_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes

I have both the kick and the mod coming in the mail next week, and I'm squeemish about using a mech with no regulation (why not a regulated mod? I have them, but I like the durability of a mech, and I have an appreciation for the "old" way it looks and works). Anyway, does this module fit in the Beacon tube, or do you have to use the adapter?

Searched everywhere on google to no avail. Thanks! :)
    I think about doing that also but it's just not a mech anymore. Altho a nice mech (I have a GP Paps tucked away) certainly looks much better than most regulated mods. Perhaps I'll give it a try if I can find the Evolve version. The other versions weren't to reliable from what I hear.

Actually, I'm not sure that I can, mine is a 490 or 500. I don't even know if mine takes a button top also, lol.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I think about doing that also but it's just not a mech anymore.
    That's true, using a Kick module turns a mech into a variable wattage mod, so technically it is no longer a mechanical device.

You would gain the benefit of using regulation (no drop off in vape performance as the battery drains like what happens in a mech) and the benefit of protection circuitry.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    That's true, using a Kick module turns a mech into a variable wattage mod, so technically it is no longer a mechanical device.

Do would gain the benefit of using regulation (no drop off of performance as the battery drains) and the benefit of protection circuitry.
    I mostly like the idea of added protection using my factory coil tanks. Well, actually, factory coil tanks are pretty good Nowadays.
    Be good test builds on tho.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I mostly like the idea of added protection using my factory coil tanks. Well, actually, factory coil tanks are pretty good Nowadays.
    Just do not put a factory coil tank (clearomizer) on a direct battery/hybrid-top mechanical mod. You know that, right?

Last edited:

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2012
    Madison, WI
    I wonder what the inner diameter is on a Beacon compared to the Smoketek. I can go down to an 18500, but if the inner diameter of the tube doesn't match the kick it might be a no-go, because the negative leads have to touch the metal on the tube for it to work. I'll just wait and see. If it doesn't fit snugly, I can always pick up a cheap mech that exactly matches the size of the 19.5 mm Smoketek, which does have a reverse battery shutoff according to this:

The Kick

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I wonder what the inner diameter is on a Beacon compared to the Smoketek. I can go down to an 18500, but if the inner diameter of the tube doesn't match the kick it might be a no-go, because the negative leads have to touch the metal on the tube for it to work. I'll just wait and see. If it doesn't fit snugly, I can always pick up a cheap mech that exactly matches the size of the 19.5 mm Smoketek, which does have a reverse battery shutoff according to this:

The Kick
    Lol, wow, $4! Can't go wrong there. Probably some threads on ecf for using and some vids. There was also an expensive one ( Europe) that had sounds for diff things.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2012
    Madison, WI
    Lol, wow, $4! Can't go wrong there. Probably some threads on ecf for using and some vids. There was also an expensive one ( Europe) that had sounds for diff things.

Yeah, all-in-all it seems like a good idea to do this. The kick is cheap, the mech is very durable and will probably outlive me, so if you go this route you have a very inexpensive and safe VW setup. The thing that makes it no longer a mech is the regulating chip, but that is an add-on that can be easily removed if the kick breaks (because it just sits in the tube, no soldering or anything). See, I will never again spend more than like $40 on a mod with a chip. It might last for a few years, but when it's done - it's done. The thing that makes my mech still a mech is it can always still fire without a chip, can be disassembled for cleaning and repair, and I find them more aesthetically pleasing than a chipped mod with display. Some of the mechs from the Philippines and USA are elegant, artistic, and will probably last a lifetime if well-maintained. I hope I can keep my spending under control (there are very inexpensive tube mechs, say half the price, even less, of many regulated mods, that would probably long outlast anything with a chip).

Check out these (probably) expensive badboys from SMW Mods, an American Amish manufacturer. Handmade, kiln fired, no wires, fully mechanical, durable as can be. I am getting one of these someday for use with my kick adapter. These are truly beautiful mods in my opinion, especially the mechs.

SMW Mods

• Useful
    Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I might point out that the Kick modules are a relatively fragile circuit board which historically do not hold up well over time. In a typical regulated mod, the chip is never removed and is physically protected by the mod body. With the Kick modules, the module must be physically handled each time you change the battery.

jolly_st_nic

ECF Veteran
    Jan 15, 2012
    Madison, WI
    I might point out that the Kick modules are a relatively fragile circuit board which historically do not hold up well over time. In a typical regulated mod, the chip is never removed and is physically protected by the mod body. With the Kick modules, the module must be physically handled each time you change the battery.

Ok, thanks for the info. Maybe I'll just have to be brave and vape the mech without a kick eventually. It's not that I don't know what I'm doing that makes me wary of doing that, but when I was a kid I built a radio with component parts, short circuited an alkaline 9 volt, and it got very, very hot. So I'm a little over-cautious, maybe, after that experience. I don't ever want to be that close to a hot battery again - the thing could have burst. I don't think mechs are dangerous if one knows what one is doing, and even regulated mods can be dangerous if one doesn't know what one is doing or lacks common sense. It's more about the anxiety I feel when I'm vaping on a mech. It's probably irrational, but I still worry, and I prefer to relax when I vape. I'll maybe just get used to the device and use it unregulated, who knows. Anyway, thanks again, I'll try to be careful when I remove it to charge batteries.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread