Smoking and Vaping Mixture causing Vaping Harshness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Smoking and Vaping Mixture causing Vaping Harshness that goes away once i stop smoking for a few hours.

Why is this happening? Anybody know why?

You don't give enough info to even make wild guesses.
Amount smoked, frequency of vaping, e liquid ml used per day, pg/vg ratio, nic mg/ml, power range used, Ω of coils & type of delivery device, mtl or dtl for starters.

Could be as simple as too high nic or power, could be scorched wicking, could be trying to mtl a delivery device designed for dtl.
Or dozens of other causes.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Dual using is known to be not advised. Nic levels can get very high, and you’re negating any value of vaping by smoking.

I absolutely disagree with that info. I dual used for 2 months while transitioning over to vaping 100% = had no problems of any kind while doing it. In fact, it was the only method that I knew would work for me. Of the 11 people I've so far helped to switch to vaping (all of them were smoking for decades)...10 of them have done it by dual using while they transitioned. None of them experienced any difficulties with it either.

Also, if it was true that dual using negated any value of vaping...none of us would have been able to totally get off the smokes! None of those 10, nor I, have relapsed either (had a smoke since then), not even once.

ETA: I totally agree with @Topwater Elvis, in that there are too many other factors to consider as the potential causes of the OP's problems.

Last edited:

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
Here's an uninformed but common sense answer: smoking is hard on your throat, does a lot of damage, but cigarettes have cough suppressants and chemicals to make them smooth and help you continue smoking. Vaping does not have these and is not what your body is used to, so your body wants to reject it at first. When you aren't smoking your throat heals over time. I find vapor actually soothing on my throat and lungs, moistens things up.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Whenever I use a pre-filled pod with those high doses of nic in a 50/50 sauce I find those very harsh. Folks said "awe yeah you'll get used to it". As the day wore on it was more tolerable, sure. Next day it was torture all over again.

I went to a vape shop and was shown a JoyeTech Penguin and viola!!! I went with a 70% vg in that one and no more punishing puff-age.

The Penguin was a gateway to actual pleasureable vaping instead of a dreadful experience that made smoking seem like the better alternative.

I'm speculating that is the issue here.

I'm a dual user btw. I vape instead of smoking at times, at other times I smoke.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I dual used for a week, while weening myself off of cigarettes.

I vaped like I smoked. If I got a craving, I vaped more.

I knew that I would have bad cig cravings, so I allowed myself half of a cigarette when I got a really bad craving. Finished that second half cig with the next bad craving. Those previously smoked cigs tasted pretty bad, but that fact helped me to quit and showed me that the taste of tobacco is terrible.

Stop buying your favorite brand of cigarettes if you REALLY want to quit smoking. If you smoke menthol, buy a non-menthol...or vice versa.

Put some of your cigarette ashes and butts into a small glass jar and a moderate amount water, and then cap it. Next time you want a smoke, open up the jar and take a real good whiff of that mixture of burnt tobacco and ashes.

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I absolutely disagree with that info. I dual used for 2 months while transitioning over to vaping 100% = had no problems of any kind while doing it. In fact, it was the only method that I knew would work for me. Of the 11 people I've so far helped to switch to vaping (all of them were smoking for decades)...10 of them have done it by dual using while they transitioned. None of them experienced any difficulties with it either.

Also, if it was true that dual using negated any value of vaping...none of us would have been able to totally get off the smokes! None of those 10, nor I, have relapsed either (had a smoke since then), not even once.

ETA: I totally agree with @Topwater Elvis, in that there are too many other factors to consider as the potential causes of the OP's problems.
I don’t disagree with anything you said, but I don’t think we are talking about the same thing. Medically as long as you smoke cigarettes you continue to do cigarette type damage to your body. Also, dual using can create very high nic levels. This does not mean that it shouldn’t be done to get off cigarettes, but it should not be done long term. I do not consider 2 months, or even 6 months to be long term. Multiple years however is another matter.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I dual used for 6 to 9 months after starting to vape. My 2 PAD habit dwindled to one after meals, a couple with morning coffee, and one before bedtime. I finally decided that smoking was silly and my vape tasted far better. One day I just decided not to buy another pack and that was the end of smoking for me. I don't remember craving one after that. If I did I just vaped my 24mg juice a little harder and forgot about smoking.

I haven't smoked since early 2010 and haven't missed it. The key is high nic juice when you are starting out and trying to quit. Once it's all under control it's easy to lower the nic level a little at a time as your body adjusts.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I don’t disagree with anything you said, but I don’t think we are talking about the same thing. Medically as long as you smoke cigarettes you continue to do cigarette type damage to your body. Also, dual using can create very high nic levels. This does not mean that it shouldn’t be done to get off cigarettes, but it should not be done long term. I do not consider 2 months, or even 6 months to be long term. Multiple years however is another matter.

I dual used for a couple of weeks when I was quitting smoking. I've known people on ECF that have dual used for a couple of years with no adverse effects to their health that I know of.

The way I see it is every cigarette someone avoids by vaping instead is good for their health and can also bring them closer to quitting cigs for good. Yes, if they used to smoke a pack a day and then continue to do that while also vaping 10 ml a day there is no advantage to it until they reduce their smoking, but I've never seen that happen. People always smoke less when dual using.

High nic levels also tend to take care of themselves, because if someone becomes nic sick they will feel like crap and stop doing that pretty quickly. That happened to me years ago when I vaped too much with too much nic in my juice in order to get past cigarette cravings. Not fun, but not dangerous. I've never known of anyone who become injured from vaping or smoking too much nic.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
If vaping allows you to smoke less than if you were only smoking, then I say its a good thing to dual use. You won't be inhaling as much smoke and poisonous carcinogens if you vape.

It's not how many cigarettes you smoke that's important. What's important is how many cigarettes you DIDN'T smoke because you vape.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I dual used for a couple of weeks when I was quitting smoking. I've known people on ECF that have dual used for a couple of years with no adverse effects to their health that I know of.

The way I see it is every cigarette someone avoids by vaping instead is good for their health and can also bring them closer to quitting cigs for good. Yes, if they used to smoke a pack a day and then continue to do that while also vaping 10 ml a day there is no advantage to it until they reduce their smoking, but I've never seen that happen. People always smoke less when dual using.

High nic levels also tend to take care of themselves, because if someone becomes nic sick they will feel like crap and stop doing that pretty quickly. That happened to me years ago when I vaped too much with too much nic in my juice in order to get past cigarette cravings. Not fun, but not dangerous. I've never known of anyone who become injured from vaping or smoking too much

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
E-cigarettes less toxic to users than cigarettes, study says - CNN

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't disagree that dual use can be helpful even long term.

I do agree that CERTAIN benefits of leaving cigarettes behind take some time to happen, and won't occur with dual use. I dual used for years and yeah, my ecig was harsh, mainly because I was doing both but also I had a PG sensitivity.

My first few days vaping I almost couldn't talk and for a heavy smoker like I was, I'm not sure that is at all uncommon. Whatever my issues were (which I won't go into since I have no clue what is going on with YOU) eventually resolved.

I would say dual use itself can cause the type of symptoms you are talking about. I coughed when vaping but I just didn't pay it much attention. The first couple weeks with ecigs alone were rough but I'm glad I stuck with it.

Provide more information and I'm fairly sure you may get more direction, but remember we are NOT doctors, and consulting yours (I did, to work out my PG sensitivity) is probably a good idea if the doc has some knowledge of vaping (mine vaped).

Welcome.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread