Smoking burnt caromizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetracer06

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Sooooooo.. after day 4, all the carts i've been interchanging between are starting to run out.. one of them, towards the end, fell reeaally hot after 2-3 drags so I quickly unscrewed the cart and set it aside..
It felt hot enough where I thought it might have burnt something inside so I open the mouthpiece and pulled out the cotton thing inside and saw a nice burn hole in the middle..
after reading around some more on ECF, I found out that possibly I've been inhaling some smoke from the burnt cartomizer for this somewhat happens often enough.
Like I'm really shaken by this for I thought these things were close to a flawless product.

I think this information about burning carts should be more common and accessible for new members and users. I also think the manufacturers could have stressed how important it was to make sure carts are filled and why. I dunno just my two cents cuz when I saw the burn hole I was just in jaw dropping disbelief. I'm sure this is common knowledge for long term to moderate users but I started 4 days ago...

forthwith

ECF Veteran
May 4, 2010
Charlotte, NC
You can usually tell when it's time for a refill by the slightly overwhelming taste near the bottom of the cartomizer. I typically toss 'em after they start popping every time I hit it. Some last as many as 10 refills, some die after 2, just goes to show that more uniform quality control standards are needed across the board. Also I have found that certain juices mess 'em up faster than others. The more syrupy flavors like ry4 and such do quite a number on my cartomizers, while more fluid flavors like camel or flue cured tend to last longer.

jetracer06

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA USA
You can usually tell when it's time for a refill by the slightly overwhelming taste near the bottom of the cartomizer. I typically toss 'em after they start popping every time I hit it. Some last as many as 10 refills, some die after 2, just goes to show that more uniform quality control standards are needed across the board. Also I have found that certain juices mess 'em up faster than others. The more syrupy flavors like ry4 and such do quite a number on my cartomizers, while more fluid flavors like camel or flue cured tend to last longer.

My new carts actually pop and crackle at the very first drags..

But yea the one that burnt for me was the kiwi apple strawberry.. The other ones that heated up more the others were nuport which has a lot of flavor to them.. i'm guessin the the sugars from the flavors that make it more combustible..

unit40

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Massachusetts
Hey jet, yes , there is a lot of info here on the forum regarding this subject. So give yourself from a few hours to several days to read it all. You will realize this is typical but the products are improving too. Read up on how to prevent this from happening so you can enjoy vaping. I was very, very, very shocked myself when i realized this buring was happening to me and went on a tirade here at ECF. Yet, I still like the KR808 and have a bunch of blanks in the drawer waiting to be filled and enjoyed when the time is right.

Jackal3

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2010
Cleveland OH USA
www.whitestagvapor.com
There should be a hole in the center. I don't think it burned a hole there. The atomizer in yours may have run a little dry and begun crisping the fiber fill around it, though. This happens when you use it empty. As soon as mine begin to loose their taste I replace them with another, and refill the empty when I get time. I know I fried a couple the first day NOT knowing that taste was not right.

Some say you have to throw the carto away if you get that burnt paper taste. I just refill it until the atomizer doesn't work. They seem ok once they're filled and kept filled.
Some of my cartos have lasted a week or more, some just a couple days. The ones I have that are still working from my initial purchase I'll be sure to keep them filled and they should last another few weeks at least.

Upinthehills

ECF Veteran
May 12, 2010
Colorado
I like cartomizers, but did cook a couple when I first started using them. I mainly use them for those times when I can't drip. The key, for me anyway, is to not vape them dry. At the rate I vape (Which is darn near constant) I've figured out that I can vape one for about an hour. After that, I switch to a full one. The ones I've vaped are still usually about half full, so I could use them for longer, but I feel better using them for a shorter time and knowing they aren't going to burn.

Jackal3

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jun 22, 2010
Cleveland OH USA
www.whitestagvapor.com
I do like the two piece KR. It is super easy to use, I can drip if I want and they even have a stainless steel drip tip I can buy/add to it, that will drip right to the atomizer. I have friends just getting into vaping and they're buying the 3 piece Joye 501. I'm waiting to see what their experience is with them.

On the other hand, I am thinking of getting the eGo set because of the battery life. I am going camping soon and won't have access to electricity to charge my batteries much.

hova

ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2010
The YO
i caught that , make sure you actually fill em up... did that one time as well..

i found a trick to show me just how much juice you can fit into a carto...

get a 1x AAA maglight. the keychain one. now take all the guts out , and just have the lense cap , body tube , and keychain end. fill up a carto , as high as you can get it. whatever your technique doesnt matter , even if it takes days....just do it.

once your carto is as full as you can get it , but it in the lense end of the empty maglight , and tie this contraption to a piece of para cord or similar. swing about a 3" circle , or as big as you can without hitting yourself in the face...

when you are done , youll see you probably had at least 30% air in there , that is now gone. fill again ...

now you has full cartos...

i use a 901 btw...

Jin Kogetsu

Jun 28, 2010
Durham Nc
I like cartomizers, but did cook a couple when I first started using them. I mainly use them for those times when I can't drip. The key, for me anyway, is to not vape them dry. At the rate I vape (Which is darn near constant) I've figured out that I can vape one for about an hour. After that, I switch to a full one. The ones I've vaped are still usually about half full, so I could use them for longer, but I feel better using them for a shorter time and knowing they aren't going to burn.

I feel you on this one i Rather vape it half Down to a Halfer (lol a halfer can be used in terms of cartos too lol) than burn it dry esp since when i just got my kit a week ago today in the mail and most of my initial funds went into the e cig itself so i couldn't buy as many blank cartos as i wanted so out of my 3 boxes i estimated i screwed the first 3 cartos i filled up cause they were fine on the first initial fill but when i refilled things went to hell and i got a clogged gunked up mess but now i vape on it and if i leave to go somewhere or im done with that cart i just add a few drops and screw on a diff while it does its thing . i don't know who but on one of these post someone said "a wet carto is a happy carto" and i can say it has prolonged the life of my cartos i also had to get use to vaping on my passthrough and my batt cause i didn't initally know of the voltage difference

jetracer06

ECF Veteran
Jun 24, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Jetracer, it doesn't actually catch fire. It's more of a scorched spot in the fabric wick that is around the atomizer wire. It looks very much like the little burn spots we used to get in our clothes from ashes falling off of a cigarette.

yea thats true dude, it may not catch on fire b/c air can't circulate through it enough but it's still hot enough to combust and BURN which kinda of defeats the purpose of a vaporizer if you ask me...
And that cotton material thing inside doesn't look like it's something I want to inhale... but it can't be worse than analogs.. right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread