SmokTech RSST Genesis Rebuildable Atomizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

45root

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
montgomery, AL
Hey guys, I just got my rsst today, and I'm having a hot leg problem with the negative connection. Anyone else have this problem? It's a .7 ohm coil on a battery that is half charged

You have a short. Sometimes after you pulse it, you have to move the coil just a bit. After that, it should glow normally. I like to start fully unoxidized. It helps you to see the oxidizing process better.

palmmute

Dec 4, 2012
southern CA
Checking in again. So I used a corkscrew (after seeing the idea from a YouTube video) to marginally open up the air hole ever so slightly. Performance has definitely improved. Vapor production has increased and the flavor is still full. My plan is to slowly open up the air hole until I'm happy with it, which may take months. :)

No idea on hole size but currently on the rsst (1 ohm 4 wrapped 28 with 400 mesh) with a stainless steel drip tip, Drawtube mod with sanded button with sanded center pin cap from a Natural in 18350 mode vaping Fire Cured tobacco by Sin City Vapors. Clone powered specs baby :cool:

shaike

Feb 26, 2013
Malaysia

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
I thought I would take some macro photos of my RSST before I start trying to build my first coil.
8689290337_5fef948e86_b.jpg

8689290249_230c01b005_b.jpg

8690411466_bdfc2b7b95_b.jpg

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
First coil built. I do believe I've got one (or two?) too many wraps on there, and the rings aren't all making full contact with the mesh. Trying the pulse method on my China GG, the "legs" get red, and about 1/2 of the top and bottom coils. If I continue to pulse, I start to get a burnt metal smell and the firing button gets quite hot. The hot button is a known issue on this cheap mech so I'll wind up sanding the contacts. Also, I didn't realize the cut I made near the top of the wick was so sloppy until I took these macro shots. Yikes.

But I'm done for today.
8691938106_3971658c58_b.jpg

8691937902_3f960e7558_b.jpg

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
First coil built. I do believe I've got one (or two?) too many wraps on there, and the rings aren't all making full contact with the mesh. Trying the pulse method on my China GG, the "legs" get red, and about 1/2 of the top and bottom coils. If I continue to pulse, I start to get a burnt metal smell and the firing button gets quite hot. The hot button is a known issue on this cheap mech so I'll wind up sanding the contacts. Also, I didn't realize the cut I made near the top of the wick was so sloppy until I took these macro shots.
You have frayed edges on the mesh and the wick appears to be rolled inconsistently.

Too many voids in the mesh between the coils.

Shorts if the top and bottom wires light up only.

You might want to roll a solid one ... same diameter throughout. Then use the "Pulse Method" to oxidize, 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, so the switch won't get too hot.

Looks like a 3/4 wrap with 28 ga, so that's all good if that's the way you like your vape around .8Ω.

Last edited:

Ink Stained

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2012
LEXINGTON KY
I wish that I had posted picks of my first few builds on here when I started. Probably wouldn't have taken me weeks to get it down. I still to this day get wicking issues from mesh from time to time. Feel like it is a heck of a lot better now that when I use mesh I go unoxidized. Just a quick fire to burn off the edges.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Thanks heaps for the feedback! I really REALLY appreciate that!
Lord willing and the creek don't rise, I'll give it another shot tonight.
:)

You have frayed edges on the mesh and the wick appears to be rolled inconsistently.

Too many voids in the mesh between the coils.

Shorts if the top and bottom wires light up only.

You might want to roll a solid one ... same diameter throughout. Then use the "Pulse Method" to oxidize, 2 seconds on, 2 seconds off, so the switch won't get too hot.

Looks like a 3/4 wrap with 28 ga, so that's all good if that's the way you like your vape around .8Ω.

alanyourmouth

Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
USA

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Will do. I'll give that a shot first and see what happens. I have a feeling I'll be making a whole new wick/coil. Part of my problem is that I was cutting the mesh with a pair of heavy duty shears first. Totally forgot about my wire cutters. D'oh!

That is 28 guage kanthal. Am I also correct in thinking that I need to decrease the wraps by at least one? If I'm going for a .8-1Ohm coil?

Rona1012

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 1, 2012
Southaven MS
I am not sure if anyone has had this happen but feeling it out to see if so... I have a Smok Natural mod and got the RSST over the weekend. I cannot for the life of me get the RSST to thread down onto the Natural - about a 1/4 turn in it seizes up almost like it is cross threaded. I backed the telescopic center pin on the Natural down thinking maybe that was it (even though I knew it wasn't...), no go.

I moved the RSST to a ProVari - threads fine. I moved the RSST to a plain ole eGo battery - threads fine. My Nimbus v3 on the Natural - Threads fine. A plain ole Carto in a Carto Tank on the Natural - Threads fine.

Just so confused @___@

Hello World

ECF Veteran
Dec 20, 2012
Vancouver
Will do. I'll give that a shot first and see what happens. I have a feeling I'll be making a whole new wick/coil. Part of my problem is that I was cutting the mesh with a pair of heavy duty shears first. Totally forgot about my wire cutters. D'oh!
Sharp pair of scissors will do on the mesh ... cuts almost like paper.

That is 28 guage kanthal. Am I also correct in thinking that I need to decrease the wraps by at least one? If I'm going for a .8-1Ohm coil?
Figure about .2Ω per wrap.

zipflint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Spartanburg, SC
Thanks heaps! Right now I'm giving the Cobra clone RBA from gotvapes a shot. It came with an oxidized wick pre-installed. It's.....uhhh...not so great. Resistance is 1.8Ohms, and fires and produces a respectable amount of vapor, but the top cap is threaded and the air hole is not close enough to the wick. So the hits are wicked harsh.

No biggie. My main focus is the RSST anyway.

StaircaseWit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
The Pit of Despair
Thanks heaps! Right now I'm giving the Cobra clone RBA from gotvapes a shot. It came with an oxidized wick pre-installed. It's.....uhhh...not so great. Resistance is 1.8Ohms, and fires and produces a respectable amount of vapor, but the top cap is threaded and the air hole is not close enough to the wick. So the hits are wicked harsh.

Their wick and coil image looks like the first attempt of someone who only has a vague idea how it's done successfully.

45root

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2012
montgomery, AL

For the cobra clone, just push up on the tank a bit to get the air hole and wick lined up. It doesnt take much. Just leave a gap on the bottom so the cap will tighten up in the right spot.
Also, for cutting ss mesh, just snip it with a pair of scissors where you want to start cutting and you can just tear it. it will tear in a straight line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread