Status
Not open for further replies.

E_DeCastro

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 1, 2009
SOCAL, USA
This unit is a lower end APV. I won't bore you with the pros, it does what it is supposed to do. If you are an APV user, it works just like it's supposed to, for non APV users who don't want to spend alot it is another lower end APV to choose from.

I bought this for right around 50usd from madvapes.com

so on with the bad.

The battery tube is tight. so tight that trust fires won't fit without tearing the wrapping and causing a short in the battery tube with sparks and arching. It can really destroy your unit. They (smoktech) has to really look into a V2 that changes the inner diameter of the battery tube. I have ultrafires that fit just fine and I don't feel paranoid that this APV will blow up in my face. so until they can address this, I would look into another APV. unless you own or want to buy new batteries.

I would recommend this APV with the caveat of the battery issue.

IMG_20130520_071558_zpsb65ca43b.jpg

PeteC2

ECF Veteran
Mar 18, 2013
Bristol, CT
My take on the SID:

Construction: It is definitely on the light side, but not at all inadequate (but then, I don't make a habit of dropping or abusing my vaping devices). I have read complaints about "gritty" threading, but mine isn't - that may be unique to the silver-finished models). The colored finishes are in a nice eGo-ish rubberized texture. The 510/eGo threading are spot-on, and with the removable collar, pretty accommodating for most tanks/clearos. The fire/menu button does rattle a little bit - not enough to bother me, but...it does have a nice positive click without being either too stiff/soft.

Most IMR 18650 flat tops fit well, I use EH IMR 18650 flat tops and they fit just right...not too tight, but no rattling around either. Protected ICR 18650s are a tougher proposition, many are just wide enough to be a poor fit. Button top IMR 18650s should work fine as well.

Control head/menu: I like the one button menuing system, very easy and intuitive without a lot of unnecessary back-stepping required. They don't have the RMS/AVG mode switch, which is fine by me (Don't see any value in AVG mode anyway). The screen while adequate, does suffer in sunlight, aside from that, it is easy enough to read. It uses the same microprocessor as the zmax, vamo, etc. so nothing unique there. I do wish that you could read resistance without hitting the fire button however.

Performance: All modes work as intended. The fire button is consistent and positive action, and it fires consistently, no complaints there.

It isn't an eVic, or Provari, but it is a fine mod with all the basic features at a nice price. A nice lower-cost version of the zmax.

Interesting note: The eVic tubes fit this to a "T", so if one does have an ill fitting battery, or wants a different length tube, such as a "shorty" for 18350 batts, there is that...

markdm4805

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 4, 2012
Stockton, CA
I just got my Smok Tech SID in today and I love it. To me it feels substantial has a nice weight to it. I got the SS model and yes it does make the crunching sounds but I can live with it. Coming from a Smok Tech Gripper this thing is dead on accurate. I love it in VW mode. I'm firing my protank at 7.5 watts and getting plumes of vapor. I'm using the AW IMR 18650's that came with my gripper and they fit just fine. Yes it is a lower end mod I paid $49.00 for mine and no I would not expect it to bounce right back after an asphalt tumble but for what it is I think it's fantastic and smok tech did good for a version 1 on this one.

franklyspeaking

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 17, 2009
Arlington, Texas
www.pharceapp.com
I just got mine yesterday. I love it. I wanted a back up to my provari and I couldn't be happier with it. For $50 it's a great deal. You'd have to spend four times as much to get something marginally better. Sure, my provari is built better and remembers the voltage setting when I change the batteries. That aside I can't tell a difference in the performance.

If you need a good back-up or want a solid APV without breaking the bank you'd be hard pressed to find a better deal than the SID.

(I'd also recommend avoiding trust fires and the like in VV/VW devices. AW IMR or similar are the way to go. Don't cheap out on batteries, you'll end up regretting it and spending more in the long run.)

Last edited:

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
I just came across your comments about the SID and using lesser batteries in any vv / vw mod. I'm curious if this may apply to the issue I am encountering.

I unpacked my SID today, tossed in a freshly charged UltraFire 2400 mAh 18650, and was greeted with "Smok" on the display. Looks good. I press the fire button three times to enter the menu, can see all the options as expected - resistance at 1.4 ohms on a LR 1.5 ohm atty, battery shows 4.1v on a 3.7v 18650.... ok. Everything looks good so far. Let's go ahead and start vaping!

Hit the fire button, and get nothing. It flashes the resistance on the display very briefly, and then it goes blank. No vapor from the two atty's and the clearo I tried on it. Pressing the fire button again doesn't do anything, it doesn't display the resistance nor can I enter the menu again. I have to pull the battery and reset the entire unit just to be able to access the menu again. I had tried two different UltraFire batteries, two atty's, and a clearo, and get the exact same results with every combination of the above.

I'm thinking I got a dud, but am curious if anyone else may have encountered a similar issue.

swoody

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2011
Chicago, USA
This was definitely an issue with using protected batteries in the SID.

So I resolved the "protected battery" issue :evil:

Just remove the plastic wrap and the pcb, and now one of my UltraFire's is technically no longer protected. The SID is working great now!

This is definitely not a long-term solution, but it did let me find out that the issue was in the batteries and not the mod itself. I am so relived I can start vaping now! This mod mod will at least allow me to start vaping and order the unprotected Panny batteries and a quality charger from FastTech without having to wait another week without vaping.

Woody

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread